Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Cam upgrade? 19 Oct 2005 14:49 #2817

• Mkosharkii
  • Mkosharkii's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have no doubt that this has been discussed many times in the past, so for that I apologize. My current setup is as follows: 79 1000LTD, Wiseco 10.25:1, 29mm smoothbores w/ K&N pods, recent three angle valve job, 4-1 V&H pipe. I figure the next logical step would be cams. I still have the stockers and I'm willing to guess hotter ones would be a welcome improvement in performance. I'm looking for advice on different options and what will be required work-wise. I'm assuming my current setup is in the 100hp range. (could be wrong?)How much can this bump me up? My goal here is to have a seriously fast straight line performer, and a turbo is a consideration for a couple of years from now. One other question... What is the safe operational redline of this motor?
Thanks in advance,
Jesse Frantz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cam upgrade? 19 Oct 2005 16:35 #2840

• craigpuckett
  • User
It would have been better if you had of picked out your cams while you had the head off so you could make sure the lobes don't hit the bucket bores,now your going to be limited as to what size cams you can run.

you will find out that cams make one of the bigest improvements in HP that you can get.

what size motor do you have? if its a 1075 and you dont mind removing the head again I would go with APE .410 cams they are short duration high lift cams that do good on the street

Cam upgrade? 19 Oct 2005 16:37 #2842

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
  • Thank you received: 1
Hey Craig...those .410 have to be clearanced right?
Get right or get left! <*{{{><

Cam upgrade? 19 Oct 2005 17:44 #2859

• Z-doctor
  • User
Wiseco pistons have clearence notch,You need a set of drop in cams.

Cam upgrade? 19 Oct 2005 18:38 #2867

• nads.com
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
1015cc same compression ratio, norris .407 cams, Man i can do a wheelie at 70 in second. The thing moves out fast. Im using points and 26mm carbs. I ported the heck out of that head. I smoothed everything in every port, increased the intake volume raised the roofs, and flattened the floors. The exhuast i raised the roofs on the chambers, increased the volumes, and flattened the throat floors level. Then opened the exits about an eigth of an inch. The way the bike runs there couldnt be any way its under 110 horse. Even though ive havnt done it i know for a fact it could stomp a v-65 flat. The more u rev it the more power it wants to make, You really wouldnt know how much power these things are capable of making untill you drive it like its going to blow up. Thats when it comes on. And ill tell ya, for a 514lb bike pulling 255lbs that baby is REALLY moving out too! I would set my lobe centers to a high number to move the power up high myself but if you want to pull tracters u can do that by setting them down. Just think,26mm carbs is all im running and BANG! Out of the gate and gone.

Post edited by: nads.com, at: 2005/10/19 21:40

Cam upgrade? 19 Oct 2005 22:53 #2914

• APE Jay
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 58
Our 410 cams require that the head be cam clearanced. They are the largest cams that can be safely run with the shims on top

Jay
www.kzzone.com

• Page: