Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

82 kz440 gearing 12 Jan 2007 20:54 #105303

• kx_125_pilot
  • kx_125_pilot's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey guys, is there any chance I can buy a smaller rear pully for my bike to make it go faster? As much as I wouldn't want to, can I convert from belt to chain?? Is it possible that there would be a smaller rear pulley on a bigger kz that would fit??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

82 kz440 gearing 13 Jan 2007 13:48 #105441

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
kx_125_pilot wrote:

Hey guys, is there any chance I can buy a smaller rear pully for my bike to make it go faster? As much as I wouldn't want to, can I convert from belt to chain?? Is it possible that there would be a smaller rear pulley on a bigger kz that would fit??

Could be wrong, so indulge some guessing here until better advice surfaces. Meanwhile, the links below contain a slew of good KZ440 info.

SWAG -- Doubt the stock gearing will pull redline in top gear, so a smaller rear pulley would reduce rpm at any given road speed and may likely reduce attainable top road speed (absent Salt Flat style steamlining). And acceleration will suffer throughout the gears with a significantly lower quarter mile or eighth mile elapsed time, and markedly lower roll-on performance in each gear. The bottom line imho is that you would be disappointed in the decreased acceleration with a smaller rear pulley and likely even more disappointed in a lower top speed.

According to the links, 100 mph seems feasible in stock configuration. Many advantages with the belt drive (longevity, reduced maintenance, clean, quiet and smooth).

Enough naysaying from this end, and sorry response is more negative than positive -- but believe you may enjoy these links.

www.kz400.com/

www.armbell.com/kz400/viewtopic.php?p=62...6bb6118&mforum=kz400

Post edited by: Patton, at: 2007/01/13 21:08

Post edited by: Patton, at: 2007/01/13 21:10
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: