Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Manual cam chain adjuster 12 Jan 2007 11:05 #105198

• oldkaws4ever
  • oldkaws4ever's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Have no regrets...... You only live once.
  • Thank you received: 12
i have heard mixed reviews on the manual cam chain adjuster. I recently ordered one for my 74 Z1 900, because the old tensioner broke. If anybody has any feelings or thoughts on this let me know.
74 Z1a 900 (Apart and making it better than ever)
77 Kz 650b (Threw a rod, going to sandwich in a 900 or 1000 motor)
76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Manual cam chain adjuster 12 Jan 2007 13:07 #105217

• Samwell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Who's given mixed reviews on the manual one? Magazines like Classic Mechanics usually talk about the old cam chain adjusters and how many revisions they have in a given model range. They also talk about how suspectible thay are to wear.

Besides, I'm planning to get one for the kz1000 while its apart getting its crank welded and other assorted hop ups.

Sam

oldkaws4ever wrote:

i have heard mixed reviews on the manual cam chain adjuster. I recently ordered one for my 74 Z1 900, because the old tensioner broke. If anybody has any feelings or thoughts on this let me know.

--
Current Rides: 2013 BMW R1200GSW, 1972 BMW R75/5
Current Project: 1978 KZ1000A2: Supercrank'd by Falicon, APE studs and nuts, Dyna Green coils, powder coated frame and fenders, Stainless brake lines, dual front discs, pods, Kerker Exhaust, 1075cc with JE pistons

Manual cam chain adjuster 12 Jan 2007 15:23 #105243

• kzwolfsr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
I just got one for my SR650 from www.z1enterprises.com and I haven't tried it out yet, the bike isn't running yet. But the oem one wasn't pushing it's job to much. Its good to go!
1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

Manual cam chain adjuster 12 Jan 2007 17:25 #105274

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 435
I put a manual tensioner on my 750 about a year ago and it generally worked just fine. The last time I went to adjust it I just could'nt get it right so I took it off, lubed up the old one which was still serviceable and put that back on. I expect that next season I'll probably try the manual APE one again.
If your old tensioner broke then the manual one from Z1 should be a good replacement. Search here and in the archives for the correct set up proceedure.
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Manual cam chain adjuster 13 Jan 2007 02:17 #105324

• oldkaws4ever
  • oldkaws4ever's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Have no regrets...... You only live once.
  • Thank you received: 12
the majority of what i heard was good, but some people said it put to much pressure/tennsion on the cam chain but i dont think so
74 Z1a 900 (Apart and making it better than ever)
77 Kz 650b (Threw a rod, going to sandwich in a 900 or 1000 motor)
76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois

Manual cam chain adjuster 13 Jan 2007 06:12 #105333

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
From 79 on, the tensioners were self adjusting on 650's and 1000's.

The earliest self adjusting types are very easily modified to prevent them from backing off which was the main problem with them.

Very early types had the plunger rod as one piece with a one way ball retainer and spring setup. That was slightly improved with the factory cutting a wedge shape off the plunger rod and adding the cut off section as a separate piece. It worked like a wedge to help keep the plunger rod from backing off when the one way ball retainer failed in it's duties.....a so-so fix at best..

Next came the side load dual plunger setup on the Hyvo chain models. They were better but still not a 100% reliable configuration. Chains were often over tensioned from removing the valve cover for service but failing to remove the side plunger cap on the tensioner before reinstalling the valve cover.

Simple fix for any of those tensioners is to buy the manual replacement units BUT any of them can be modified by a handy DIY mechanic to work properly.

• Page: