• Page:

TOPIC:

How to get it started 17 Dec 2006 01:32 #100104

• JanRa
  • JanRa's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all,

I have a KZ600 B1 which I bought from a friend.
The bike hasn't run for 6 years and I am trying to make it run again. The status so far is that if i spray some startgas in the airfilter and kick it, it starts running for a second or two and then dies again. I've been kicking it for over an hour without success. Since it is the first time I am trying to fix a bike I wanted to ask here what the next steps are that I should check out. All suggestions welcome....

Take care,

Jan Ramboer
Belgium

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How to get it started 17 Dec 2006 03:05 #100105

• customkzft
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
have you checked the spark plugs? or it sounds like a fuel proble, are you getting gas to the carbs?

All you need is fuel, air and spark, and you got a running motor.

How to get it started 17 Dec 2006 04:55 #100106

• hardr0ck68
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
  • Thank you received: 3
compression and timing help as well :p
you will want to go threw and do a whole tune up; new plugs, new gas, add a fuel filter, check the timing and check the valve clearence, this may sound like alot but it is rather easy (pick up the book for your bike and it will take you a weekend or two to do these things) and then you will have a much better idea of what your dealing with.

To me it sounds like your not gettin fuel to the carbs, pull one of the drain screws on the float bowl (bottom of the carb, used for draining gas from the carb for winter storage) If gas flows out of the float bowl kinda quickly then your probably looking at a carb rebuild....if not maybe just some fresh fule lines and that filter i mentioned.

Good luck and welcome!!
1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

How to get it started 17 Dec 2006 06:31 #100109

• 77KZ
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I had the same issue with my 650. Changed plugs, drained tank and bowls, still would not stay running. I then decided to try a new battery. That is all it took. It still ran rough but would idle and run. Good luck.
"What do you mean we can't change the alphabet to W,X,Y,K,Z!"
Western, OH, Formerly... Western, NY
1978 KZ650B, 1979 KZ650C, 1978 KZ750B, 1982 KZ750 LTD, 2006 ZX-6R, 2009 Ural Gear Up, 1974 Yamaha DT360 (It's Green Anyway!)

How to get it started 17 Dec 2006 10:15 #100130

• tnutz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
6 years, stored with gas or without, good chance the carbs will be gunked up with shit. So they will need a good cleaning, finding a good battery will save you alot of trouble too...then you can remove doubt there.

How to get it started 17 Dec 2006 12:13 #100148

• pumps
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Welcome! All the help you will need can be found here..And THEN some! How about some pictures of your new ride? We all like to see.B)
Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

How to get it started 17 Dec 2006 14:35 #100156

• arobsum
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
tnutz wrote:

6 years, stored with gas or without, good chance the carbs will be gunked up with shit. So they will need a good cleaning, finding a good battery will save you alot of trouble too...then you can remove doubt there.

bingo!!

• Page: