Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Distinguished Gentlemens Ride NYC and near 90°F 19 Sep 2017 13:22 #771246

• JWKZ750
  • JWKZ750's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
This Sunday is the ride I look forward to all year. Shockingly, NYC is experiencing a prolonged summer. See our temps below.

What are the symptoms of an overheated bike. I have a few bikes but hear kawasakis are really good at NOT overheating, so I may take that instead of my Honda - the two choices are below.

What does a bike do when it overheats? Im only a year into this and havent dealt with that just yet. And which bike do you think would look best with a suit and bowtie?

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by JWKZ750.

Distinguished Gentlemens Ride NYC and near 90°F 19 Sep 2017 14:44 #771253

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 512
When a motorcycle engine overheats? Most likely it will seize the pistons to the cylinder wall! And if you are rolling? Hope you pull the clutch in fast enough, because the rear wheel will lock up!
I have seen this Gentleman's ride on the Velocity Channel awhile back, looks cool!
I would do it! With my 1980 Leisure Suit! To make a Statement! It's 3 piece with a silk backed vest! And it is powder blue!
I saved it for the disc party once a year!
Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Attachments:

Last edit: by z1kzonly.

Distinguished Gentlemens Ride NYC and near 90°F 19 Sep 2017 14:50 #771254

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
I would ask a friend, Or pay for a stranger to ride your 2nd. Take them both! WTF? New York City? Plenty of people! I know some guys that run the Am Jam Tat fest in Schenectady. But they might burn them bikes! Throw some straight SAE 50 or 60 weight oil in it. And a few ounces of Marvels Mystery Oil in the gas. I have been using and doing for 40 years!!!!!
You could ride it in Death Valley in Cali. ! And it won't seize!
Starts everytime!

Distinguished Gentlemens Ride NYC and near 90°F 19 Sep 2017 14:50 #771255

• JWKZ750
  • Visitor

z1kzonly wrote: When a motorcycle engine overheats? Most likely it will seize the pistons to the cylinder wall! And if you are rolling? Hope you pull the clutch in fast enough, because the rear wheel will lock up!
I have seen this Gentleman's ride on the Velocity Channel awhile back, looks cool!
I would do it! With my 1980 Leisure Suit! To make a Statement! It's 3 piece with a silk backed vest! And it is powder blue!

Thanks for responding. I will be wearing this outfit this year (my business is fashion so I have these dressforms in my house). And this is me on my bike last year:

Attachments:

Distinguished Gentlemens Ride NYC and near 90°F 19 Sep 2017 15:00 #771256

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
COOL! I can dig it! You ever need to buy any photo booths???
Toy Bros makes and sells them! We sell all over the USA, Have show displays in Vegas every year!
Real deal! Million $ company!
toybros.com/photo-booth-options/
Starts everytime!

Distinguished Gentlemens Ride NYC and near 90°F 19 Sep 2017 20:26 #771286

• JWKZ750
  • Visitor

z1kzonly wrote: I would ask a friend, Or pay for a stranger to ride your 2nd. Take them both! WTF? New York City? Plenty of people! I know some guys that run the Am Jam Tat fest in Schenectady. But they might burn them bikes! Throw some straight SAE 50 or 60 weight oil in it. And a few ounces of Marvels Mystery Oil in the gas. I have been using and doing for 40 years!!!!!
You could ride it in Death Valley in Cali. ! And it won't seize!

Hmmm. so 10W40 is to thin huh?

Distinguished Gentlemens Ride NYC and near 90°F 19 Sep 2017 20:27 #771287

• JWKZ750
  • Visitor

z1kzonly wrote: When a motorcycle engine overheats? Most likely it will seize the pistons to the cylinder wall! And if you are rolling? Hope you pull the clutch in fast enough, because the rear wheel will lock up!
I saved it for the disc party once a year!

I like the color of that suit. However this ride is meant to be proper dress up, almost black tie.

Distinguished Gentlemens Ride NYC and near 90°F 20 Sep 2017 15:48 #771319

• AtLarge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 21
Forecast is pretty much the same for us in the midwest. Still going to ride it though. In proper attire of course. :lol:
1973 Honda CL70-K3
1975 Kawasaki 350 F9-C
1983 Kawasaki KZ750-K1
1994 BMW K1100RS
2008 Suzuki GSX1300-BKK8 #1120

Distinguished Gentlemens Ride NYC and near 90°F 20 Sep 2017 16:06 #771320

• JWKZ750
  • Visitor

AtLarge wrote: Forecast is pretty much the same for us in the midwest. Still going to ride it though. In proper attire of course. :lol:

i may have to change. I cant think of anything worse than sweating in a suit.

Distinguished Gentlemens Ride NYC and near 90°F 21 Sep 2017 06:31 #771345

• KZB2 650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 265
More than a few on here from Texas and Arizona (20/50 there) so I'd say 85 is kids stuff W/ 10/40....... but I agree for our area its close to my limit of riding....... use to love the low 70s and 60s (in my younger age) but as of late a flannel shirt and a light jackets not even enough and go for the winter coat.
1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

Distinguished Gentlemens Ride NYC and near 90°F 21 Sep 2017 09:41 #771356

• KZJOE900
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 443
IMHO, you won't have any issues at that temp. I never have had any issues overheating riding here in Florida. I run Shell Rotella a 15-40W. Down here, older Harleys have issues with the back cylinder overheating. I'm preparing for Sundays DGM in Orlando. Did the Tampa one last year.
I would suggest leaving the jacket home and just go with the shirt and vest instead. Or just have have a small bag you can bungee to the back seat to store the jacket if you get too hot. First year I did the DGM I wore a jacket. Never again. Honda is a better fit. Color looks more in theme. Looks more dapper if you will, LOL. It is looking real nice for us too here on Sunday.
Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450
Attachments:

Distinguished Gentlemens Ride NYC and near 90°F 21 Sep 2017 14:05 #771366

• JWKZ750
  • Visitor

KZJOE900 wrote: IMHO, you won't have any issues at that temp. I never have had any issues overheating riding here in Florida. I run Shell Rotella a 15-40W. Down here, older Harleys have issues with the back cylinder overheating. I'm preparing for Sundays DGM in Orlando. Did the Tampa one last year.
I would suggest leaving the jacket home and just go with the shirt and vest instead. Or just have have a small bag you can bungee to the back seat to store the jacket if you get too hot. First year I did the DGM I wore a jacket. Never again. Honda is a better fit. Color looks more in theme. Looks more dapper if you will, LOL. It is looking real nice for us too here on Sunday.

I hope its not too humid down there!

• Page: