• Page:

TOPIC:

A year later, just a short 335 mile ride report... 15 Sep 2014 04:41 #647577

• LuckyLucOnBass
  • LuckyLucOnBass's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3

Attachment Screenshot_2013-12-16-23-41-07-1.png not found

Actually, I've been on this site for over a year. I'm always checking in to see how everyone and their bikes are doing. So I'll officially introduce myself, my bike, and share a short ride report.

I'm from Central Texas. Del Rio, to be exact. I ride a 1983 KZ550 m-1. I found her in a back yard of a lawn mower shop covered in boxes and lawn mower parts. I have a picture of when I found it. I knew the guy who had painted and worked on it years before. It used to be a great running bike. I know the owner had taken the bike from here to New Mexico a few times without problems. The last owner was a pharmacist who quit riding it due to back problems. And I even looked around for him to try to buy it from him, with no luck. The funny thing is I used to own the same model bike, but a 1984 model, a few years back. I had to sell it due to financial reasons. I still keep in touch with the new owner, who brags about what a great running bike it is. It made me mad and jealous that I had to sell it. So when I saw this bike just being neglected, I asked the owner what the plans were for the bike. He said he was going to scrap and junk it because it didn't have a title. I kept to myself that I might know who owned it before and might have a title. I let the old WW2 Veteran know that I would be interested about a month or two down the line.

Well, about a month later, I went down to talk to the old man and make sure the bike was still there. He said he was ready to throw it away. I told him I was still interested. So I looked and looked and looked at it, trying to see what needed to be done to it. I asked the old man for a price. He said something like $400. I hit him with $100. He should've shot me dead with that insult. He did call bs on that price. So I went in and made up things that needed to be done. "There's no air box." "There's no air cleaner." "It needs new tires." "The speedometer is broken." "The brakes need to be rebuilt." On and on and on....

After haggling a bit, We settled on $175. I told him I would pick it up the next day. He said, "Be here at 6pm, or it's going to the junk yard," I made it just about the time he was leaving. He said he didn't think I would show up. I gave him his money. He wheeled out the freshly washed motorcycle. We signed a receipt. And the bike was mine.

The next day I was able to go through and actually see what needed to be done. Pretty much the standard things... oil and filter change, tires, carb cleaning, new brake pads and oil, de-rusting the tank. It was a slow process. Between money being tight, being a little busy, and helping a buddy with his motorcycle, I didn't get to play with her for a few months. I did have to go through the turn signal wiring. The PO did a poor job at adding turn signals. The wiring was bad. The signals were three different brands. I went ahead and took them off and cleaned up the wiring that was added. Everything else, electrical-wise, was ok. I de-rusted the tank using metal rescue. It worked amazingly. I bought a new petcock for the tank. I replaced the starter brushes. Cleaning the carbs (my first time) worked like a charm. New battery, new plugs, a new chance at life. When it was time to add gas and get the bike going, I was pretty confident that it would work out. I was ready to own a running bike again. It took a few days to get it going. She would fire up and run. But it was a little rough. It was my first time working on a bike on my own. My dad, who I look up to, helped here and there. As did my buddy, who I helped with his bike. I narrowed down the problem to the choke on the carbs. Once everything was adjusted.... BAM! I now owned a good running bike again. Now it was time to actually get a title for it. I went to the county tax office to see if they'd tell me who owned the bike last, which they couldn't do. The lady said I could guess who owned it, and if I was right, she'd tell me so. Two guesses later, I knew who owned it. So I called him, told him my situation, and he said he'd sign the form to get a new title and sign it over to me. Two weeks later, and $2.50 poorer, I legally owned my Pearl. That's her name. After new tires and replacing what needed fixing, I owned a street legal, and 30 year old bike. I was one happy dude. Probably the coolest part was hearing how proud my dad was of me for getting it running and ready pretty much on my own.

Now, my actual Ride Report...

Last August, my favorite Spanish rock band was coming to Texas as part of their USA tour. I had seen them many times before, and even know of them personally. After being invited to their show in Houston (a 6.5 hour drive), I decided I would just get in the car and go. As the day of the concert came closer and closer, I started thinking about riding the Pearl out there. But anyone from Texas will tell you that Texas summers are very hot. I really didn't know if she'd be up for that ride. Then the day of the concert came. I got up that morning. Thought things over and decided I was taking the bike. She had been running great lately. Of course any 30 year old bike will have it's issues. But at the time, she was fine. So I packed a small backpack with over night clothes. Gassed up. Checked my tire pressure and my oil level. And I was off. My plan was Del Rio to San Antonio. Take a small break. Then hit Houston by 8pm. I had the option to park my bike in SA and take my sister's truck if needed.

I left at 830am, after the traffic died down. When I got out of the city limits and on to the highway, I felt it. It! What is "it"? Well, if you ride a motorcycle, you know what "it" is. That calmness. The ZEN. You look down and see the gravel passing your feet just inches away at 70 miles per hour. You feel the wind hitting your cheeks. And no matter how loud your headphones are, you hear the motor just purring away. Now I doubt that I was actually doing 70 or 75 mph. When I would ride with my buddy on his Honda, him doing 30 mph was 35 or so on my bike. My speedo was a few miles off. I knew my actual mph was lower than what was shown. But I was ok with that. I was in no hurry to get off the bike. I passed through the tiny town 30 minutes out. When I arrived at the first actual town 70 miles out, I decided to refuel. I have no idea how big my tank is, or how far a full tank will get me. I figured if I just fill up when I can, I'll be ok.

As I was about to leave the station in Uvalde, I guy driving a rig for a shipping company pulled and asked where I'm going. I said, "From Del Rio to San Antonio... maybe Houston too." He smiled and said he wished he could do the same. He noticed my bike wasn't exactly new too. When I told him it was an 83, he said that was cool and wished me well. When I hit the starter, he just smiled. He didn't move until I left the station. I'm sure he felt the same way I do whenever I still see people riding like that.

The highway from Del Rio to Uvalde is pretty forgettable. Mainly single lane traffic. But from Uvalde on to San Antonio, it's double lanes at 75 mph. That's where I enjoyed my ride. I filled up again in Hondo, which is about 25 minutes past Uvalde. I figured that will get me to San Antonio. I made it there and took the exit to get to my sister's house annnnnddddd... stalled. Haha. I got to the stop light and didn't shift down to first. At least that's what I'm thinking. I hit the start button and got nothing. I didn't panic. Just hopped off the bike and pushed it into the gas station. Sat under a tree and collected my thoughts. I got up and push-started my bike. A man came over and asked if I needed help. I told him, just trying to get this 30 year old bike home down the street. He said it was cool just to see someone willing to ride an older bike that far. I made it to my sister's house and parked the bike in the garage. When I left Del Rio, the temperature was about 80. When I made it to San Antonio, it was right around 100. By 430, temps hit 108. I traded the ride on the bike in terrible traffic in 108 degrees for an air conditioned drive instead. Plus it wouldn't be smart to ride back from Houston to SA at 1 am on the bike. So who cares about the truck ride. Concert was great. Enanitos Verdes is worth watching any chance you get. The guys in the band are cool dudes. Blah blah blah...

I left San Antonio early the next morning. The weather was beautiful. The ride was peaceful. I filled up in SA, then again in Hondo and Uvalde before getting back home in Del Rio. I spent $17 in gas for the bike trip. It still makes me laugh.

I know it's not much of a ride report. It was only 335 miles. But for a last minute ride, it was great. Very few problems that I couldn't handle. The ride itself was like church. Besides the music that I could barely hear in my helmet at highway speeds, that was my favorite ride to date. I haven't done it again yet. And actually, my bike has been down for a while now. There are things I do need to fix and repair and replace again. But once it's all done, I think I'll try to stretch her legs out a little more.

I included a few pictures of the trip (nothing special) and of the Pearl herself. Thanks for reading.

Luc

Attachment 20140409_152120.jpg not found

Attachment Screenshot_2014-09-15-04-58-51.png not found

Attachment Screenshot_2014-09-15-02-01-352.png not found

Attachment Screenshot_2014-09-15-02-01-432.png not found

Attachment Screenshot_2014-09-15-02-01-491.png not found

Attachment Screenshot_2014-09-15-02-02-131.png not found

Attachment Screenshot_2014-09-15-02-02-361.png not found

Attachment Screenshot_2014-09-15-02-03-191.png not found

Attachment Screenshot_2014-09-15-02-03-251.png not found

Attachment Screenshot_2014-09-15-02-03-521.png not found

bass player, bike rider, hockey fan.
1983 KZ550 M1
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZQ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A year later, just a short 335 mile ride report... 15 Sep 2014 07:13 #647597

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 300
Thanks for the narrative and I really do like Del Rio. :)
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

A year later, just a short 335 mile ride report... 15 Sep 2014 08:41 #647602

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Great story!

You may want to check the valve lash. When the lash gets below spec, usually the first symptom the rider gets is what happened to you. It seems to run fine when cool, but after an extended highway run, it will simply stall when you take the first exit and try to idle. After cooling a few minutes it will run fine again.

You could just try another 20 minute highway ride and see if it stalls when you exit.

Before checking the lash, see the valve train warning in my signature. Also download all of the manuals. There are several, but unfortunately, they don't cover the shaft drive. But much of the info will be relevant.

A year later, just a short 335 mile ride report... 15 Sep 2014 16:06 #647673

• LuckyLucOnBass
  • User

Mcdroid wrote: Thanks for the narrative and I really do like Del Rio. :)

You're welcome. I love this small city. It's close enough to the bigger markets in Texas. Are you from around the area?
1983 KZ550 M1

A year later, just a short 335 mile ride report... 15 Sep 2014 16:11 #647676

• LuckyLucOnBass
  • User

loudhvx wrote: Great story!

You may want to check the valve lash. When the lash gets below spec, usually the first symptom the rider gets is what happened to you. It seems to run fine when cool, but after an extended highway run, it will simply stall when you take the first exit and try to idle. After cooling a few minutes it will run fine again.

You could just try another 20 minute highway ride and see if it stalls when you exit.

Before checking the lash, see the valve train warning in my signature. Also download all of the manuals. There are several, but unfortunately, they don't cover the shaft drive. But much of the info will be relevant.

Thank you. And what exactly is the valve lash? That was the first time I took it out for hours on the highway. Before, maybe I'd go 30 minutes out and back. But I do have a few things to work on. The forks need new rings, I got an air box for it to install. And I need to replace the starter.

Thank you for the links! I may have to replace the starter clutch. I'm sure it'll be similar to what is in your manuals. I had an original manual that I sold with my last bike.
1983 KZ550 M1

A year later, just a short 335 mile ride report... 15 Sep 2014 16:21 #647677

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 429
Nice looking bike. You did a great job on it.
Great story
That's what it's all about
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

A year later, just a short 335 mile ride report... 15 Sep 2014 20:57 #647714

• LuckyLucOnBass
  • User
Thank you, brother! That's how I bought it. It still has dents in the tank. The side panels, I think, are from two different bikes. And there are things I do want to change. The flat tracker seat doesn't fit the bike. So I want to make my own pan for it. I do like the hidden brake light under the seat, though. I want to install the air box I got for it. And I want to add an exhaust to it since the ones on the bike were sliced before the baffle. It's a bit loud. Not annoying loud... I just wouldn't mind that pea shooter exhaust sound.

This is how I found it before I bought it. It had so much stuff covering it.

Attachment thepearlatfirstsight.jpg not found

I'm hoping to get the bike back on the road by December. I have a ton on my plate right now. One plan I've had for a long while is a surprise visit/ride to Las Vegas (16 hours) to see my soulmate. Ha! Imagine that. And if it took a week to ride there, I would be more than ok with that.

Lucas
1983 KZ550 M1
Attachments:

A year later, just a short 335 mile ride report... 15 Sep 2014 21:02 #647715

• LuckyLucOnBass
  • User

loudhvx wrote: Great story!

I was just thinking... Wouldn't the bike stall after getting into the smaller cities during the ride? I stopped a few times for gas. And I hit quite a bit of stop lights in the smaller cities. The bike ran pretty great throughout up until that one stall. On the way home, the bike ran great again. Now I'm confused! Ha.

But I'll look into it.
1983 KZ550 M1

A year later, just a short 335 mile ride report... 16 Sep 2014 06:57 #647743

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Valve lash, valve clearance, valve shim adjustment... all refer to adjusting the clearance between the camshaft's cam lobe and the bucket that the cam lobe pushed down on. The bucket pushes down on the valve stem to open the valve, but between the under side of the bucket and the valve stem, there is a shim. Changing the shim to a different thickness is how you change the clearance.

Normally, as the valves wear into the seat, the clearance reduces over time. When the clearance gets too small, the bike will run normal and start normal until it is run hard. When it is run hard, the valve temperature goes way up and the valve stem increases in length due to heat expansion. When this happens, there will no longer be clearance between the cam lobe and the bucket, thus the valve never closes fully.

While it's running hard, like on the highway, you won't notice any difference because the valve is still closing most of the way. When you come to a stop, though, the valve not closing fully will essentially make that cylinder much weaker at idle, so the bike stalls. The valve cools very quickly and will usually shrink enough that the bike will function normally in a matter of just a minute or two. If the bike is then run at slower speeds, the valve may not get hot enough to cause any further symptoms.

(A compression test will usually show no problem at the onset of valve lash problems since the valve will cool before you can do the test.)

Eventually, as the valve lash reduces further, the symptoms will come on sooner, and will be more severe.

Riding in stop and go traffic may seem to make the motor hot, as everything on the bike will feel hot, but the actual internal temperature on the engine will not be as hot as when riding at high speeds. Riding slow on a hot day causes heat issues related to fuel delivery, carburetion, and electrical systems, but internal engine components get really hot when riding fast. That is when the valve clearance becomes an issue. So the first, early symptom is usually a stall at the end of a fast highway run.

If you never ride on the highway, then the clearance will quietly reduce well below acceptable tolerance without any symptoms for a while. But eventually the bike will just run worse as it warms up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluej58

• Page: