Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

My Accident Today 19 May 2013 18:02 #588203

• richrand
  • richrand's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
I guess this is the right place for this. Went riding today with my gf as a passenger and a car turned right (from the left side) in front of us. I smacked into their door and managed to keep the bike upright despite bouncing off them twice. She didn't notice that we'd hit and kept turning -- I just tried to keep turning with them. The driver was an elderly woman who was oblivious to our presence, and despite having her left turn signal on, proceeded to take a right. She was absolutely disconnected with what was going on before or after the crash. It seems that she wasn't really aware of how serious the incident was. We're fine although I was pretty shook up. The bike is also basically fine. My stator cover dented her door, but I somehow avoided dumping it or crashing into something else. All in all, we were extremely lucky today. This easily could have been a serious situation. Be safe people. Wear your helmets and don't give any vehicle the benefit of the doubt -- people have no idea you're there.

Attachment photo.JPG not found

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: goodfastncheap

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

My Accident Today 19 May 2013 18:24 #588210

• mopguy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 168
Glad to hear you guys are okay, and yes you are absolutely right about people not knowing you are there.
I have a 1980 Kawasaki KZ750 Ltd. I bought new. I recently managed to get it out of my garage after 28 years and put it on the road again (2010). I feel like a kid all over again. Since I have acquired 3 78 KZ1000 Ltd, 1 1981 KZ1000 Ltd, and another 1980 KZ750 Ltd. Love the LTD's.

My Accident Today 19 May 2013 18:31 #588214

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1983
Now you should play the Lotto as Today is your Lucky Day !!

Glad you are OK

Dave B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

My Accident Today 19 May 2013 18:36 #588215

• Mcdroid
  • Away
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 304
Were the police involved? They should have been as this lady doesn't belong on the road.
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

My Accident Today 19 May 2013 18:50 #588219

• 650mod
  • User
  • Thank you received: 48
From the day I started riding (I was 17), I always "drive" for other people- always checking blindspots, making sure I have eye contact at intersections/making turns. We always have to be overly cautious on bikes. Glad you're ok, and that your bike lived to tell the tale also.
78 kz 650 custom
Wiseco 720cc big bore
Dynajet stage 3 carb kit with pods
2002 Kawasaki Z750 exhaust
2001 Buell lightning front end
1999 Ninja 600 swingarm with 1999 Ninja 900 rear rim
converted to monoshock rear
Too many goodies to list fully

My Accident Today 19 May 2013 18:51 #588220

• OnkelB
  • User
  • Thank you received: 80
Glad you're both okay - and good job keeping the bike on the wheels.

Btw I'm with Mcdroid, she seems to be unfit to operate a motorized vehicle and should have her license revoked.
77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.

My Accident Today 19 May 2013 21:07 #588235

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615

OnkelB wrote: Glad you're both okay - and good job keeping the bike on the wheels.

Btw I'm with Mcdroid, she seems to be unfit to operate a motorized vehicle and should have her license revoked.

+1

Glad you + Gf are ok.

My Accident Today 20 May 2013 03:01 #588300

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
  • Thank you received: 82

Mcdroid wrote: Were the police involved? They should have been as this lady doesn't belong on the road.

What he said.

I lost my mother in law to an elderly driver who came across the centerline. He walked away and paid no penalty because the grand jury no billed the case. It's hard to do but we need to take the keys away from these people. The man took two innocent lives and was celebrated as a local hero when he died of old age this year. His attorneys were very smart. The criminal case took just enough time for them to transfer all of his assets to his children prior to the civil proceedings. Supposedly he was penniless after a lifelong career as the local superintendent of schools. I'm not buying that one. Sorry for venting here but you got lucky. Don't take the easy route and let this lady go before she kills the next guy.

The year after my MIL's fatal accident we had to take the keys away from her mother. I was out riding my bicycle for exercise when she came up behind me at highway speed and did the left lane, right turn maneuver on me. Pretty scary for me to almost get run over by someone I know. She clipped a mailbox in the process so she was clearly out of control. It sucks to do this to our elders but this is a very large proble in certain communities.
1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

My Accident Today 20 May 2013 07:50 #588301

• boatdrinks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 54
Glad you are both okay!
Charles
Madison, AL
1978 KZ650 B2A, Luminous Dark Blue

My Accident Today 20 May 2013 12:30 #588335

• Kidkawie
  • User
  • I bleed premix
  • Thank you received: 245
Glad you're ok.

Mandatory driver re-testing at age 70, then every 3 years after that.
1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

My Accident Today 20 May 2013 16:19 #588378

• bluezbike
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 104
Glad you both are OK (and the bike) That lady really should be retired from the road as others have said. Most countries in Europe have an expiration date on your licence usually 65 or 70 and you have to pass a test and vision check at that time or you are done driving. I know of a strange sounding rule in my home country (Greece) that if you are over 300 lbs. you lose your licence, they discovered that a lot of accidents involving obese people were caused by them having heart attacks and losing control etc. etc.
79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)

My Accident Today 03 Jun 2013 17:21 #590690

• richrand
  • richrand's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Good news. The old lady's insurance co admitted fault and will be paying to take the dents out my tank and repaint the bike. Getting an estimate this week.

Last edit: by richrand.
  • Page: