TOPIC:

1St Ride of Summer!! 24 Jun 2012 07:42 #531396

• ed spangler
  • ed spangler's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Tennessee Z
  • Thank you received: 29
NALLLLLYYYY!!!
Overcame all the mechanical problems with "Jonah"!!
Friend rebuilt the carbs ( Soda blasted them also, they look great!),installed new petcock with good screens and gave the bike a major tune up, runs great,fantastic,awesome!! , Found source of front end vibration!!! ( no, was not the tire,forks or rim!!!) spent a couple hours polishing bike up yesterday afternoon, , now today.... gonna take bike for 1st ride of summer!! woooohoo!!
TenneesseeZ ED
Have 1975 Kawasaki Z1-B & 2003 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
Had Hondas, Harleys and many ,many Z Series Kaws both Std. & LTD's

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1St Ride of Summer!! 24 Jun 2012 08:57 #531401

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
congrads, enjoy the ride.

1St Ride of Summer!! 24 Jun 2012 09:25 #531409

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
  • Thank you received: 18
We want pics of that big ol grin when you get ta ridin B) B)
73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

1St Ride of Summer!! 24 Jun 2012 11:41 #531426

• KZJOE900
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 444

ed spangler wrote: NALLLLLYYYY!!!
Overcame all the mechanical problems with "Jonah"!!
Friend rebuilt the carbs ( Soda blasted them also, they look great!),installed new petcock with good screens and gave the bike a major tune up, runs great,fantastic,awesome!! , Found source of front end vibration!!! ( no, was not the tire,forks or rim!!!) spent a couple hours polishing bike up yesterday afternoon, , now today.... gonna take bike for 1st ride of summer!! woooohoo!!
TenneesseeZ ED

Ed, I read your post about the bouncing tire. So what was the final determination on what was causing it? Also, how did you diagnose it? Seemed like from your thread I read you seemed to have suspected the Kenda front tire. So were you able to figure out that it was something else?
Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

1St Ride of Summer!! 24 Jun 2012 14:11 #531444

• ed spangler
  • ed spangler's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Tennessee Z
  • Thank you received: 29
Thanks KZJOE900 :)
OK, here is what we found after a thorough exam of rim in "Truing Stand", checking Tire etc.
Accidenttly noticed one wheel bearing was fine other was totally seized up, now the bearings are aftermarket sealed bearings that are almost new....not the bearings fault....inside the hub is a spacer, Kaw calls it a "Distance Collar" I think, basically it takes up distance between inside of bearing seat flanges if that makes sense. Anyway the inside of bearing flange from inside of seat to iside is 2".640 The distance collar measured 2" .680!!!! so whilst that may not seem like much it was just enough to seize the bearing on one side of the wheel! Put the collar in a "Jewelers Lathe" shortened it to 2".635 all is well.What I do not jknow is if the distance collar on my bike is original? If the OE bearings because they were not sealed allowed for that extra distance? Can not explain it except now the wheel does not bounce!! Good enough for me, and yes we triple cheked that bearings were seated properly and not "Cocked" it is what it is.
Have 1975 Kawasaki Z1-B & 2003 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
Had Hondas, Harleys and many ,many Z Series Kaws both Std. & LTD's

1St Ride of Summer!! 24 Jun 2012 14:58 #531450

• KZJOE900
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 444

ed spangler wrote: Thanks KZJOE900 :)
OK, here is what we found after a thorough exam of rim in "Truing Stand", checking Tire etc.
Accidenttly noticed one wheel bearing was fine other was totally seized up, now the bearings are aftermarket sealed bearings that are almost new....not the bearings fault....inside the hub is a spacer, Kaw calls it a "Distance Collar" I think, basically it takes up distance between inside of bearing seat flanges if that makes sense. Anyway the inside of bearing flange from inside of seat to iside is 2".640 The distance collar measured 2" .680!!!! so whilst that may not seem like much it was just enough to seize the bearing on one side of the wheel! Put the collar in a "Jewelers Lathe" shortened it to 2".635 all is well.What I do not jknow is if the distance collar on my bike is original? If the OE bearings because they were not sealed allowed for that extra distance? Can not explain it except now the wheel does not bounce!! Good enough for me, and yes we triple cheked that bearings were seated properly and not "Cocked" it is what it is.

Great info, Ed! I have a bit of bounce on my front. Thought it may be fork oil, bent wheel or tire. Not sure if the original wheel bearings are installed or newer sealed bearings (most likely original). Doesn't really matter because even an old style bearing could be seized. But I already purchased new front sealed bearings a few weeks ago and intend to install them in the next week or two. I will certainly check out the collar clearance when installing the new bearings. Thanks again.
Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

1St Ride of Summer!! 24 Jun 2012 15:34 #531454

• jeffasaki
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Gotta LOVE the first ride
I can feel your smile way up here :laugh:
78 Z1R
78 KZ1000
76 KH500 gone
71 HS1B 90
81 GS 1100 gone
80 PE400
02 KLR

Ontario Canada

• Page: