Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ440 in NYC 25 Jun 2010 12:35 #378183

• AnxiousCowboy
  • AnxiousCowboy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I've had my bike for about two years and have barely ridden it. I finally have it tuned up and started working on getting the license. The longest trip I've took it on so far has been about an hour. I live in Brooklyn NY and really want to ride out to Long Island to enjoy smoe scenery in this weather.

Has anyone with a similarly small bike taken long trips? Obviously a 440 isn't the best for a highway cruise but do I need to worry about how long I'm on the bike? It's in great shop; cleaned out the carbs, full tune up, etc. I just got back from an hour cruise (unfortunately in Brooklyn it's mostly stop go stop go) and the bike felt hot as hell... This might be normal? I don't know anyone with a bike and it's my first bike....

Any input? Anyone in the NYC area know of any good routes?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ440 in NYC 25 Jun 2010 16:02 #378204

• flht1997
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I have toured all over the country on 400/440's they can do highway speeds all day if they have too. if it is running good I cant think of a reason to not take it on a long trip. Air-cooled bike will run hot in stop-and-go traffic. Don't worry about it unless it starts to act funny, pinging and whatnot, then pull over and let it cool off for awhile.
Matt Milwaukee, WI
75' KZ400, (5) 78' KZ400, 76' KZ 750, 78' KZ650
78'CB750F, 78' CB550K
89' BMW R100RT
05' H-D Electra Glide
06' KLR650
Do it right or don't bother doing it at all.

KZ440 in NYC 25 Jun 2010 16:07 #378206

• AnxiousCowboy
  • AnxiousCowboy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Cool. Thanks for the info. Now I gotta figure out how to ride longer than an hour without my ass going numb!

KZ440 in NYC 26 Jun 2010 07:17 #378273

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2076
Rebuilding your seat with better foam or buying a better seat will really help with the numb-butt. In the mean time, pay attention to what your body is telling you. When it starts to feel uncomfortable, get off and stretch a bit. That numbness is an indication of low blood circulation, and can over time lead to bigger problems. It can also create short term problems. If your legs begin to "go to sleep" (numbness), they may not respond as expected when you need to brake or prop the bike up at a stop. Besides, a stretch stop is also an opportunity to meet new folks or see things we might otherwise miss.
Enjoy the ride.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• Page: