Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

The Pig Trail 26 Jun 2009 11:01 #302236

• superduty
  • superduty's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
The last two years a group of high school friends have started going on rides together. Class of 77! There are five of us for now, and this year we went on the Pig Trail in Arkansas. it's a winding road that extends down highway 23 south of Eureka Springs, MO. I don't remember he highway names, but we did a loop back to Eureka Springs. In the group, we had three Honda Shadows, a Kawasaki KLR, and my 1978 Kawasaki police bike in full dress. I purchased the police bike after riding my dads 1980 LTD 1000 on last years ride. I intended to completely fix it up before the ride this year and didn't get it done. At the last minute, they talked me into going on the Pig Trail ride and I got police bike cleaned up, new battery, some new lights, inspected, insured and tagged in two days. Friday morning, I headed out of Kansas City heading south. Pulling into the gas station on my very first gas stop, before meeting with the group, the motor shut off just like I had turned off the key. I never got my ignition key working again. I phoned the group and told them to go on, that I would catch up somehow, and I tore into the bike. Clymers in hand, wearing chaps, I had bike parts strung all over the ground at the gas station. I figured out the wiring enough that I put a jumper wire from the battery to a hot wire under the right side cover, and got power to my ignition. I fired it up and took off. I caught my group just south of Monett, MO. The rest of the trip was fairly uneventful, but the scenery and roads were fantastic. Cruising through all those corners on the old police bike with footboards was a good time. We ate at little diners along the way, and got to know some of the local folks. Visited a fish hatchery and camped in Eureka springs friday and saturday night. During the ride on Saturday, I started noticing that as I slowed for stop signs, I was receiving a slight shocking sensation in my left hand as I would clutch. I pulled over at a corner, and advised the rest of the group that I had a problem to track down before continuing. My son was along on this ride, and he helped me track it down. The coils on the bike are after market Accell units and are not mounted properly. The gas tank had vibrated a groove in the coil boots and they were shorting through the tank to the bike. A scary thought! Once found, I applied plenty of electrical tape and duct tape so it wouldn't happen again, and we were off. Over all, after sitting for who knows how long before I bought it, and about a year after I bought it, the old Police Bike ran wonderful for 840 miles! I think a lot of people enjoyed seeing the old bike, and I know I enjoyed riding it. It was a trip I would recommend to anyone in the midwest.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The Pig Trail 26 Jun 2009 11:32 #302243

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
The Pig Trail is a great road. I think at some point there is a yellow warning sign for a "twisty road next 21 miles" . I rode it in 2007 and hope to get back this fall. Almost any road in northwest and west-central Arkansas, through the Ozarks and Ouchita Mountains is absolutely amazing!
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

The Pig Trail 26 Jun 2009 12:38 #302259

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
  • Thank you received: 18
This kind of story is what we like to hear. A few hiccups along the way, a little determination and next thing you know its over. The memorys are forever. I have a sticker on my helmet that says "Its not the destination its the journey". Thanks for sharing that story with us.
73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

The Pig Trail 26 Jun 2009 14:22 #302290

• Mark Wing
  • User
  • Thank you received: 22
Cool story, glad you made it all the way on the KZ P. I'm a class of 77 myself.

Mark
Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

The Pig Trail 26 Jun 2009 23:53 #302391

• Iron Duke
  • User
  • what are you rebelling against?
  • Thank you received: 0
Good story I agree with what Kawickrice stated, We need more storys like that.It is the Journey.
1982 KZ550 LTD C-3
1979 XS1100 F Yamaha

• Page: