• Page:

TOPIC:

My father 19 Mar 2021 08:53 #845207

• DOHC
  • DOHC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 494
My father passed yesterday.  He could build any kind of engine you let him get near and make it sing.  Here are some pictures of him on his 1974 Z1.  I think he got it around '75.  I remember riding on the back when I was a kid (when it was still a street bike). 

My user name and the quote in my profile come from a story he told me.  He said some guy came up to him at the strip and said "Hey man, those DOHCs really go!!".  It stuck with me, and I guess it stuck with him too.  I think of it every time I look at the engine covers on my Z1R.  And it's true.  

His best time this day was something around 10.5s @ 125mph.

'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThatGPzGuy, Nessism, KZJOE900, Street Fighter LTD, Scirocco, ghostdive

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

My father 19 Mar 2021 09:11 #845208

• Stereordinary
  • User
  • Thank you received: 127
My condolences on your father’s passing, he sounds like he was a great guy. Cool photos, and thanks for sharing. 
A breeze from the west.
‘90 ZR550 Zephyr (x2)
The following user(s) said Thank You: DOHC

My father 19 Mar 2021 10:13 #845216

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 512
DOHC, Sorry for your loss. It's always tough to share personal information. But thanks for sharing. I lost my Dad to an Industrial accident just as I was turning 13yrs. old in 1972. I still think of him and use his tools to this day!
Great story!  The Z1, that bike is the epitome of the classic Z1 street bike! Lesters, Denco pipe, black paint! I am painting one right now all black.
And I am in Western New York! This is one of my local tracks! "Empre" / "New York International Raceway". It was called "Route 36" for awhile too. I started going there in the mid 70's. I've been down this strip many a times in cars and on bikes! Had some wild campouts also!
I never had many pictures pre-digital 2002 for me. But this is me at a bike meet, was a cloudy, cold day. I remember the announcer sayin' this guy got his money's worth. It was my 20th pass. No one was running on the Saturday time trials. Was going roundy - round! 11.50's, just having fun.
They are actually having a National Motorcycle Sanction race June 18th-19th this summer With the 50th anniversary of the IHRA.
Plus we will have the AA/Gasser out 5 times this yr. With the Supercharged AA/Gassers of America Gang.
GodSpeed to you and your Family!
Marty from Buffalo.
Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Attachments:

Last edit: by z1kzonly.

My father 19 Mar 2021 10:28 #845218

• undiablo
  • User
  • Thank you received: 64
Sorry for your loss. I am sure he will always be behind your back.
Kawasaki KZ 750/4 LTD 1981
Kawasaki KLR 650 2011
Argentina - Buenos Aires

My father 19 Mar 2021 10:52 #845220

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
  • Thank you received: 256
Prayers for you & your family.
Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit
Wife's BIG bike...... 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and factory FI Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods

My father 19 Mar 2021 12:31 #845225

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member

DOHC, Sorry for your loss. It's always tough to share personal information. But thanks for sharing. 

Thank you.  This is definitely the most personal thing I've ever put on the internet.  I've never taken part in any social media (I briefly had a Friendster account 20 years ago).  But I'm just a wee bit out of sorts at the moment.

I happened to have just scanned these photographs a few weeks ago.  I think his Z1 is really fantastic, so I figured I share the pictures.

And you're right about the location.  I believe this day was a bike-only day in 2002, and I think we went back to the same event in 2003.  It's possible you and he crossed paths at some point.  His Z1 has been a drag-only machine since the early 80s, so there were probably plenty of opportunities.

I didn't know what to do with myself, so I went out and fired up his Z1 yesterday.  I think that's the first time it's run in at least 10 years.  It fired right up.  I made a ton of really great racket and certainly annoyed the neighbors.  

My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism, Street Fighter LTD

Last edit: by DOHC.

My father 19 Mar 2021 13:08 #845228

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1953
My condolences  to you and your family
The loss of a loved one is always a hard thing . It sounds like your Dad  was hell of a guy. 
You were blessed to have him as he was blessed to have you as a son. 
I too am blessed having a son who shares my passion for bikes  and  all things mechanical  that I can share  this part of life with.
Your father will live on thru you , his son  . Every time   you fire up a bike , or use a tool  he will be right there with you.
Here's to Dad,,,  May He Ride with the Angels and ride with you in spirit
Dave 

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: DOHC, Mikaw, Scirocco

My father 19 Mar 2021 15:02 #845234

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member

Street Fighter LTD wrote: I too am blessed having a son who shares my passion for bikes

That is very true.  I share his love of machines.  He taught me about model rockets, control-line planes, slot cars, sailboats, snowmobiles, cars, motorcycles, and so much more.

The first real engine I rebuilt, and the first one I blew up, was a snowmobile.  He rebuilt it the second time and it ran fantastic.  But I was sick of waiting for snow, so I immediately sold it and decided to switch seasons and buy a motorcycle.  A buddy of mine said his older brother was selling a motorcycle.  His brother drove a loud Camaro, and was not really someone who took real care with vehicles.

The bike was a 1977 KZ650, and it was only $75!  It looked just like a motorcycle (two wheels, engine, handlebars), which seemed to match what I was looking for.  Of course it didn't run, and of course I didn't bother to ask my father for advice before I bought it.  I just called him and said "Hey Dad!  I bought a motorcycle!  It doesn't run.  Can you come and pick it up?"  After what I'm assuming was a fair amount of eye rolling, he showed up with his trailer and hauled it to his house.  In the end it worked out fine.  The carbs were all messed up by some previous owner, and it needed all the wear items, but nothing was actually broken.  I rode it for a few years and I learned about whole lot about carburetors.
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

Last edit: by DOHC.

My father 19 Mar 2021 15:11 #845235

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
Loosing a father is especially hard. He was our model for manhood, he taught us about the world, he always wanted the best for us, he loved us unconditionally.
My prayers are with you and yours.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

My father 19 Mar 2021 15:25 #845237

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1008
Sorry to hear that your father passed away DOHC.  I was lucky enough to have my Dad until I was in my mid-60's.  I think about him every day, and often have him in my dreams.  He was an aircraft mechanic during WW2 but we had few activities in common so we didn't do much together.  You are lucky to have been able to share a passion for bikes with him.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

My father 19 Mar 2021 18:55 #845247

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1843
I’d like to add my condolences to and your family also. Your lucky to have had him with you as long as you did. Hopefully he will visit you in your dreams. Embrace it if it happens. 

My father passed away when I was a senior in high school back in ‘80. As Tex says they are our leader and our path to manhood. My time with my father was shorter than I wanted but we sure crammed a ton of stuff into those years. Cox glow plug cars, Slot cars, bicycles, he helped me build the fastes pinewood derby cars year after year, then to mini bikes, my first car, taught me how to bowl, and entered me into a rifle club that took us to every gun club in Michigan, and even Camp Perry in Ohio. He never left my side. He was in the Philippines during ww2. With his war experience I know he could have been the toughest SOB your ever encounter, but for teaching me to fight and defend myself I never saw him argue or fight with anyone. He told me it takes a bigger man to walk away from a fight. He was the kindest most patient gentleman you ever meet, but I know the man would have never lost a fight. He fixed all the neighborhood kids bikes, all the adult neighbors lawnmowers and cars. Not an expert at anything but there was nothing he couldn’t fix. 

Cherish his teachings, tools, and memories. I’m sure he will be with you in mind and spirt. 
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

My father 19 Mar 2021 20:22 #845253

• Shankkole
  • User
  • Thank you received: 141
My Condolences as well, also every time I see DOHC I will remember your story.

• Page: