Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Keep the lights on. 02 Apr 2023 01:26 #882293

• urankjj
  • urankjj's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 201
Interesting article, but can you ever really have enough lighting ?  techxplore.com/news/2022-10-motorcycle.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Keep the lights on. 02 Apr 2023 05:02 #882296

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1030
I think you can have too much light.  Maybe it's just me but at night I'm sometimes bothered by the intensity of the light coming at me.  As a rider though, I like as much light as I can get.  I love my Goldwing for its abundance of headlight.  On my bicycle I use a strobe type flashing light on the back.  I think varying the intensity like that is as good as the light itself.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD

Keep the lights on. 02 Apr 2023 08:32 #882313

• Moose1800
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 260
I bought a new headlight for my bike right after I bought it back in the late seventy's, a SEV Marchal Amplilux made in France. It's a dual bulb/reflector light long out of production, unfortunately I laid my bike down and broke it. I think I paid a little less than $200 for it which was a lot of cash for someone my age at the time. It was an amazing light and I wish I could replace it but when they come up for sale on ebay they go for several hundred bucks. I still have the broken light and it pains me every time I look at it.

Last edit: by Moose1800.

Keep the lights on. 02 Apr 2023 11:14 #882318

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2629
That's what I had in the 70's. Had a 100w bulb in the high beam that would cut through the desert night like a flame thrower.   Lost it in the wreck and I still miss it. It was hard on the charging system so I didn't use it all the time. The 55w low beam was good enough and when the on coming cars would flash their lights at me I'd flick the pencil beam once and they'd pass with no more complaints. 
Steve

Keep the lights on. 02 Apr 2023 14:59 #882336

• urankjj
  • urankjj's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 201
Interesting related piece, and maybe why Steve uses dual car horns on his Z.   phys.org/news/2018-01-inattentional-driv...les-plain-sight.html

• Page: