Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Old Aussie Z1 movie 23 Mar 2022 07:04 #864222

• Deuce
  • Deuce's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
On TUBI, I watched an old Australian biker movie the other night from around 1974 called "Stone."  Not bad as far as biker movies of that era go, but I thought the ending sucked.  Way better than any of the Harley/Hells Angels movies from the states at that time.  I thought for sure KAWASAKI had their hand in making this movie, but after reading the credits, they aren't mentioned.  They DO mention getting help from the Hells Angels, though, which I thought was odd.  All of the lead actors seem to be on 900s with quarter fairings and lower bars.  Custom paint jobs on some look okay, but I noticed lots of orange peel in the paint.
www.flickr.com/gp/162005819@N03/J055kUZ1a8

1982 GS1100G
1997 Yamaha Vmax
1979 Kawasaki 1000
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Old Aussie Z1 movie 23 Mar 2022 13:08 #864235

• RBRKZ
  • User
  • Thank you received: 29
Some of the faces in Stone show up in Mad Max.

Old Aussie Z1 movie 23 Mar 2022 14:11 #864237

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2613
Got a link? 
Steve

Old Aussie Z1 movie 23 Mar 2022 14:38 #864238

• Buzz Nichols
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 105
It's on DailyMotion:

www.dailymotion.com/video/x3bngr3
Is this thing working? Is this thing on?

1978 KZ1000 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

Old Aussie Z1 movie 23 Mar 2022 14:55 #864239

• 750 R1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 394
"the ending sucked".

I didn't look at the link you provided but there are 2 endings for that movie. When it first hit the drive in's back in the 70's the ending was, from memory the cop was saying something about how nice {maybe not nice but follow on}, the bikies were and all of a sudden they kick in the door and beat him half to death... I suspect the ending in the link you provided ends where he was saying nice things about them, That was the sanitised TV friendly version, I cringed the first time I saw that. The original cut was 2 hours long, it was later edited down to about an hour and a half...I was 11 when I was snuck into the drive in to see that movie, there was a line up of motorcycles as long as you could see waiting to get in, It was quite a sight for a young fella and started my love of motorcycles !!!

Old Aussie Z1 movie 25 Mar 2022 05:59 #864282

• Rick H.
  • User
  • Thank you received: 254
After about 5 mins of watching Stone I had a decision to make.  Keep watching and wasting time I will never get back, or shut it down.  I chose option number 2.  I will say this, the shooter operating the bolt action rifle at the start was faster than greased lightening.  Never seen anyone work a bolt action rifle so fast.  And the decapitated head rolling around in the helmet was the icing on the cake.  That told me all I needed to know.

Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1
The following user(s) said Thank You: howardhb

Old Aussie Z1 movie 25 Mar 2022 06:03 #864284

• Deuce
  • User

"the ending sucked".

I didn't look at the link you provided but there are 2 endings for that movie. When it first hit the drive in's back in the 70's the ending was, from memory the cop was saying something about how nice {maybe not nice but follow on}, the bikies were and all of a sudden they kick in the door and beat him half to death... I suspect the ending in the link you provided ends where he was saying nice things about them, That was the sanitised TV friendly version, I cringed the first time I saw that. The original cut was 2 hours long, it was later edited down to about an hour and a half...I was 11 when I was snuck into the drive in to see that movie, there was a line up of motorcycles as long as you could see waiting to get in, It was quite a sight for a young fella and started my love of motorcycles !!!

The version on TUBI had the ending where they kick the crap out of him. 

1982 GS1100G
1997 Yamaha Vmax
1979 Kawasaki 1000

Old Aussie Z1 movie 25 Mar 2022 06:05 #864285

• Deuce
  • User

After about 5 mins of watching Stone I had a decision to make.  Keep watching and wasting time I will never get back, or shut it down.  I chose option number 2.  I will say this, the shooter operating the bolt action rifle at the start was faster than greased lightening.  Never seen anyone work a bolt action rifle so fast.  And the decapitated head rolling around in the helmet was the icing on the cake.  That told me all I needed to know.

Rick H.

I watched it for the bikes and the old cars.  By comparison, it still was better than any of the early 70s American biker movies.

1982 GS1100G
1997 Yamaha Vmax
1979 Kawasaki 1000

Old Aussie Z1 movie 13 Jun 2022 02:28 #868704

• blackozvet
  • User
  • Thank you received: 79
If anyone has wondered why the Z is so valuable in Australia, its probably due to this movie !
There is a 1999 documentary called Stone Forever, which talks about the making of the movie, and shows the Stone ride which occurs each year.
A guy called Sandy Harbutt wrote, directed and produced this low budget movie.  
A lot of the actors went on to successful careers, but Harbutt never made another movie.
1973 Z1 900 Kawasaki

Old Aussie Z1 movie 13 Jun 2022 07:01 #868713

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1896

If anyone has wondered why the Z is so valuable in Australia, its probably due to this movie !
There is a 1999 documentary called Stone Forever, which talks about the making of the movie, and shows the Stone ride which occurs each year.
A guy called Sandy Harbutt wrote, directed and produced this low budget movie.  
A lot of the actors went on to successful careers, but Harbutt never made another movie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThatGPzGuy, blackozvet

Old Aussie Z1 movie 15 Jun 2022 20:27 #868866

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 236
I tried to watch it today and like every other similar movie of the time, mad max and the like, they are terrible. They were terrible then, and terrible now. All the old Z1s ect were nice to see, but the garbage add on crap like those goofball wind screens ruins looking at the motorcycles, but even if the motorcycles were not all fricked up, my gosh how bad can it get for movies now or 50yrs ago? It just doesn't get much worse. Australia may be great, don't know, but for sure any movie from there ever is terrible regardless of year or content.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Old Aussie Z1 movie 15 Jun 2022 23:04 #868873

• 750 R1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 394

I tried to watch it today and like every other similar movie of the time, mad max and the like, they are terrible. They were terrible then, and terrible now. All the old Z1s ect were nice to see, but the garbage add on crap like those goofball wind screens ruins looking at the motorcycles, but even if the motorcycles were not all fricked up, my gosh how bad can it get for movies now or 50yrs ago? It just doesn't get much worse. Australia may be great, don't know, but for sure any movie from there ever is terrible regardless of year or content.

So which Australian movies have you actually seen, not many it would seem .   There are  plenty of very good Aussie movies, Plenty of good American movies too,  tons and tons of crap as well, to say all Aussie movies are terrible is ridiculous comment....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD, Mc Tavish, Wookie58

• Page: