Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Mirror Suggestions KZ1000.... 20 Jan 2019 10:21 #797144

• Sabian
  • Sabian's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I finally found a great deal on a KZ 1000, picked it up yesterday. It has 4600 miles on it and relatively rust free. There are some non-stock touches and a few parts that are on it, but one thing I would like to do is change the mirrors. I'm going to keep everything I pull off, but would like to run some chrome ones with a shorter stalk....suggestions on what you are using?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Sabian.

Mirror Suggestions KZ1000.... 20 Jan 2019 11:50 #797146

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
Those look like the original mirrors. If so, treat them very carefully as they are outstanding mirrors. Original mirrors have the glass isolated from the stalks even though you cannot see this feature. Consequently, the mirrors don;t vibrate very much if at all. The dealer I bought my KZ650 from was kind enough to install such mirrors on it, and they work extremely well. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sabian

Mirror Suggestions KZ1000.... 20 Jan 2019 12:05 #797148

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1619
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationMost of the 1980-on Ltd/CSR models had black short stem mirrors & are probably readily available on eebbaayy.
For chrome maybe search eebbaayyy for Vulcan 500 or 750 mirrors. possibly even some of the larger VN models. I've seen them oval shaped & trapezoidal. I would try to get oem mirrors. Aftermarket mirrors typically can be problematic. excessive vibration. flat glass. the rare convex ones can have poor glass quality which distorts the image & can make your eyes tired.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Mirror Suggestions KZ1000.... 20 Jan 2019 12:50 #797151

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1008
Z1 mirrors are prone to vibration after about 4,000 rpm, which is usually about 60 mph. I have newer short stem mirrors on my KZ1000, and they don't start to vibrate until close to 6,000 rpm, which is waay beyond my normal speed limit. They have a different mechanism in the attachment of the oval portion to the stem. They are more difficult to see behind me though, because the short stems don't place them as far outside my body profile. You can see the difference between the Z1 style on the left and the short stem ones on the right.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
Attachments:

Mirror Suggestions KZ1000.... 20 Jan 2019 12:57 #797153

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 647
If you can get hold of some self adhesive wheel balance weights and stick one at the top , one each side and one at the bottom to the back of the glass it improves the vibration considerably. Because the mirrors are adjustable within the black housing you can just about get them in without removing the glass from the housing.

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

Mirror Suggestions KZ1000.... 20 Jan 2019 16:07 #797165

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2598
The Z1 mirrors were horrible. I tried the short style, square style ones and was disappointed. Couldn't see through them at speed. I like the look but if you can't see through them they're junk. I got some Bike Master chrome mirrors in 96 and was satisfied with them. The bike sat 15 years, they were still in good shape until last year when the stem started to break off. Metal fatigue. Picked up two more at Chaparral but the images are smaller than on the old ones. They blur at high RPM's but I can see through them at HWY speeds. There maybe be better ones out there but at the price you can't beat these.
Steve

www.chapmoto.com/bikemaster-universal-stainless-mirror-360-1125
www.chapmoto.com/search?q=mirrors
Attachments:

Mirror Suggestions KZ1000.... 27 Jan 2019 07:51 #797685

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
Like everyone I don't like the vibration that you get from the original mirrors so I tried a set of 1980's Kawasaki mirrors that have a bigger mirror, shorter stem and a much better knuckle joint ,.
They worked well but when I put on a jacket it becomes hard to see behind me.
2 years ago I picked up a set of after markets that have the same knuckle joint and a longer stem , they work well at keeping vibration down when riding at highway speeds unfortunately they are not round but I haven't found one that is round and still has the magic knuckle joint.

1980's style

New set

78 KZ1000 A2A
Attachments:

Last edit: by bluej58.

Mirror Suggestions KZ1000.... 27 Jan 2019 08:00 #797686

• davido
  • User
  • Thank you received: 284
This might be helpful for the vibration
www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/609975-bar-end-weights
P.S.
When I was looking for mirriors for my project,I liked the early Ducati monster mirrors. The classic round shape though the ones I was looking at were in black.
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluej58

Mirror Suggestions KZ1000.... 27 Jan 2019 08:17 #797690

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
Black works for me
I still have the original Grand Torismo grips on the bike from back in the day and they still work for keeping the vibration down on the hands.
I may try that trick on my next one though
78 KZ1000 A2A

Last edit: by bluej58.
  • Page: