Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

VIN help 09 Sep 2018 21:32 #790631

• chefmateo
  • chefmateo's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
New to the forum. Recently bought a 1977 KZ650...or so I thought. Bike is in great shape, runs, and seems original. However, I have conflicting numbers on my bike. The engine has KZ650BE027903 stamped on it...& the steering column behind the headlight has KZ650C003455. Obviously this bike seems to be a Franken-bike if I go by the numbers. Is there anywhere else I can look to see if one of the two numbers match another location on the bike? It's currently titled using the steering column number. I want to restore this motorcycle to original condition, so knowing what I'm dealing with will help me through this process. Any helpful info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by chefmateo.

VIN help 10 Sep 2018 04:31 #790632

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899
The frame and engine # for the KZ 650 C model

jarlef.no/Kawasaki/Series/Z/650/Z650C.htm

VIN help 10 Sep 2018 05:21 #790634

• hardrockminer
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1022
The frame number is used to identify the bike in most jurisdictions.

You appear to believe the frame and engine numbers should be the same. Kawasaki didn't do it that way. Frame and engine serial numbers are almost always different.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: chefmateo

VIN help 10 Sep 2018 05:44 #790637

• chefmateo
  • User
I certainly did make that assumption. Thank you for clearing that up for me.

VIN help 10 Sep 2018 06:32 #790644

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Welcome aboard! Your bike is a 1977 KZ650-C1 (so is mine). The frame number is the VIN; the engine number is not used for registering the bike. The engine serial number you posted is correct for the 1977 KZ650-C1, so your bike is not a Franken bike. The KZ engine number and VIN on the KZ650-C models never match; that's normal for the model, and your engine number falls within the correct set of engine serial numbers for the 1977-C1 bikes. Take a look at the link below. It shows the various frame numbers and engine numbers for the different year/model KZ650's. Ed

models.kz650.info/index.htm
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: chefmateo

Last edit: by 650ed.

VIN help 10 Sep 2018 17:22 #790693

• chefmateo
  • User
Thank you for the info & list. I do have it titled using the frame number. Now the fun part of restoration begins. I'll definitely be back to ask more questions during this process. Thankfully not a whole lot to do other than some cosmetic touch ups & some engine/carb tuning. The biggest part is cleaning up the wiring & or maybe modernization of the electrical system. She runs pretty good as is though.

• Page: