Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Why do we call bikes "She" 15 Dec 2017 21:20 #776116

• 650Dude
  • 650Dude's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 19
I have a few bikes. My brother in law has a few bikes. He brought his little girl (shes 11) around the other day. She overheard us talking about bikes and said to her father "Daddy, why do you call bikes "she?" Why does it have to be a woman. Is it because women are seen as possessions?"

I was shocked!

But it made sense. Why do we call our bikes women? Ive done it once or twice but not a lot because I think its silly to call a bike a woman, or anything other than "MY BIKE."

But whats with this? Is it ingrained in us from an early age that bike are possessions just like women? Or a think to be admired just like women?

interesting.
1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Why do we call bikes "She" 15 Dec 2017 21:28 #776117

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
It goes way back to sailing ships and beyond. Just tell her women call their bikes he or him for the same reasons.:lol:
Steve

Why do we call bikes "She" 15 Dec 2017 21:37 #776118

• 650Dude
  • User is blocked

SWest wrote: It goes way back to sailing ships and beyond. Just tell her women call their bikes he or him for the same reasons.:lol:
Steve

I understand that it goes "way back" but way back to what? Ideas of ownership still? What would you say to my niece? "Oh honey it just goes way back?" The reason Im asking is, i KNOW what i wanted to say to her but shes too young to understand it. Its the same reason naked women pose next to cars at car shows. Its all about them too being a "possession." I dont have any duaghters (sons only) and I dont want any. This world is too hard on women.
1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin

Why do we call bikes "She" 15 Dec 2017 22:24 #776120

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I have a daughter and three granddaughters. My daughter doesn't have those hangups and she is teaching her daughters not to. They come home with these ideas from school and have to be deprogrammed. It was tough for me as a single parent then and it is even harder now. The one thing that made it worthwhile is she watched and learned from me. She grew out of the fads of a teenager and turned into the responsible woman I'm proud of. You take care of your family, pets, bike etc. not because they're possessions, it's because you love them.
Steve

Why do we call bikes "She" 16 Dec 2017 06:29 #776125

• 650Dude
  • User is blocked

SWest wrote: I have a daughter and three granddaughters. My daughter doesn't have those hangups and she is teaching her daughters not to. They come home with these ideas from school and have to be deprogrammed. It was tough for me as a single parent then and it is even harder now. The one thing that made it worthwhile is she watched and learned from me. She grew out of the fads of a teenager and turned into the responsible woman I'm proud of. You take care of your family, pets, bike etc. not because they're possessions, it's because you love them.
Steve

it has often been said that kids speak the truth because they are innocent. My niece doesnt have "hangups" she basically seeing that in this world, certain attitudes are present. She simply observed that with bikes and cars, women seem objectified. I *AM* teaching my sons not to see women in this way, not to see them as objects or notches on theirs belts. This is a sign that was outside of a frathouse as college classes resumed. This is the "problem" in society I think:

1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin
Attachments:

Why do we call bikes "She" 16 Dec 2017 06:55 #776128

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
A strong family unit cannot be controlled. That's why this is and has been happening.
Steve

Why do we call bikes "She" 16 Dec 2017 07:03 #776129

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 599
Hi 650dude,
When you say "we", aren't you asking from the male perspective?

slmjim refers to his bikes & cars as "she", things beautiful and to be cared for.

Z1BEBE refers to her bikes & cars as "he", beloved and occasionally cantankerous.

It's also cultural; Anglo tradition is often to reference ships & other objects as "she". Russian culture refers to their ships as "he".

Lots of etymology on this subject. Google is your friend.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

Why do we call bikes "She" 16 Dec 2017 08:41 #776140

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1972
I think it doesnt matter which gender you use.
I use both depending on what it is.
My Turbo Kaw has always been Suzie. My explanation has been she has been a loyal girl friend my whole life.
Never complains. Always ready to go when and where I say. Always looks good. Other guys can look but she always comes home with me. So call me sexist.
Now my Harley is Joe . After my Father Nuff said
Jet Boat is Rosie . After Mom Nuff said
Monte Carlo is Dale . After #3 Earnhardt
Gal I know races a corvette named Brutus

A Fast ship, With a good crew . And I mean to take Her in Harms Way

Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

Why do we call bikes "She" 16 Dec 2017 09:41 #776145

• 9er rider
  • Sustaining Member
  • Keep a cool tool
  • Thank you received: 87
I wish I could send pictures but its cold out, and both bikes in the shop. Me with tunes on and our faithful Bloodhound on her bed snoring away, and two Christmas ornaments hanging off the back of Kawakar new diamond sky blue paint;while Green Go with the tinsel wrapped all around.
76 kz 900 1075 76 kz 900 a4 78 kz 1000 ltd

Why do we call bikes "She" 16 Dec 2017 12:58 #776154

• ThatGPzGuy
  • Sustaining Member
  • More Sparky than Speed Racer
  • Thank you received: 377

slmjim+Z1BEBE wrote: Hi 650dude,
slmjim refers to his bikes & cars as "she", things beautiful and to be cared for.
slmjim & Z1BEBE

Yep, Things of Beauty to be Cherished with all their quirks and moods. It really is that simple. Someone is filling that girls head with femi-nazi claptrap. My advice? Be a good example of a Man. My daughter buys into none of that crap. Is beautiful, strong and carries a Sig Saur 238. Not a victim.
Why are there beautiful women at car shows? Because there are men there and men like looking at beautiful women. Duh.
Jim
North GA
2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1982 GPz750 R1
1974 Kawasaki H1
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1979 Yamaha XS650 cafe'
2001 KZ1000P
2001 Yamaha YZ426
1981 Honda XR200 stroked in an '89 CR125 chassis
1965 Mustang
1967 Triumph GT6
1976 Bronco
"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

Why do we call bikes "She" 16 Dec 2017 15:12 #776161

• 650Dude
  • User is blocked

ThatGPzGuy wrote:

slmjim+Z1BEBE wrote: Hi 650dude,
slmjim & Z1BEBE

Yep, Things of Beauty to be Cherished with all their quirks and moods. It really is that simple. Someone is filling that girls head with femi-nazi claptrap. My advice? Be a good example of a Man. My daughter buys into none of that crap. Is beautiful, strong and carries a Sig Saur 238. Not a victim.
Why are there beautiful women at car shows? Because there are men there and men like looking at beautiful women. Duh.

Not quite that simple and there is nothing "femi-nazi" about her question. There's a difference between finding a woman "beautiful" and then objectifying her. But I dont expect anyone under 40 to understand that. Men arent taught just that women are "beautiful." Its reinforced that they are playthings. Thats why its hard for a man to see a woman in a business suit as a "professional" and a coutnerpart when hes used to looking at women in bras and panties standing next to cars in pics below. Someone needs to understand boys are taught this is ok. But thats changing. Thats why men think they can flash themselves in front of women and text naked pics of themselves, because women arent JUST perceived as beautiful, they are also thought of as possessions and no amount of arguing can change the fact that america, and the world, as a problem when it comes to how they see women. These same men of this "christian" nation think its ok to ogle women, Its not right, its not christian and its not equality. Its not ok to go to a car show as a married christian american male to ogle women. it degrades society.

There is something wrong with american society and how it perceives women. I would NEVER want my daughter, if I had one, looking like this a a rep at a car show. :

1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin
Attachments:

Last edit: by 650Dude.

Why do we call bikes "She" 16 Dec 2017 18:33 #776164

• Glenn
  • User
  • 1984 KZ1100R, 2015 Versys650 LT, 2008 KLR685
  • Thank you received: 13
Wow! A lot of deep answers... I thought it was because they are both simply 'high maintenance'!
I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.
Steve McQueen
Attachments:

Last edit: by Glenn.