Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

got the kaw to run on e-85 07 Sep 2007 22:52 #169315

• themachine
  • themachine's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
seeing as i needed new jets i decided to pull the carbs and tinker with them a bit.

i drilled out the jets again and put the carbs back on to see if my bike was really running lean, well it was actually was running rich before, and now it was barley running at all on gas.

so i drained the gas, poured some e-85 in it, and it fired right up, after some choking.

i already had clear plastic lines and paper carb gaskets so no rubber to worrie about in the fuel system besides carb boots.

the ride was a bit scary at first, the carburators were getting exreamly cold and i thought the secondarys might freeze open (heard a story once) it would take a second for it to wind down after cracking it, but when cracked i noticed an increase in power vurses gasoline, it surges alot just putting around and makes it sound mean as hell.

if it goes well i'm going to invest in some smoothbores, a push pull throttlecable system, and a stainless steel tank tap, however i'v only driven 10 miles on the stuff and still have to make an opinion, i am carefullly monitoring the bikes vitals and such,
oh and it smells like s*** too. :sick:

Post edited by: themachine, at: 2007/09/08 12:26
82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

got the kaw to run on e-85 09 Sep 2007 14:25 #169621

• themachine
  • themachine's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
i whent back to gas, i needed a second petcock to flow enough to get it to idle right, that and i think the carbs couldnt flow enough air to keep it from flooding out, i had to have the idle set high.

its definetly worth doing if you have the carbs and taps for it, it does run cooler as long as your not spinning the motor fast. :whistle:

Post edited by: themachine, at: 2007/09/09 17:48

Post edited by: themachine, at: 2007/09/09 17:49
82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

got the kaw to run on e-85 09 Sep 2007 15:20 #169627

• apeman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I always appreciate a science experiment, but I wonder why anyone would bother with e85. It is based upon false ecology, since it takes more energy to produce it than it puts out in terms of fuel. The only reason it is available is due to huge wasteful governement subsidies aimed at shoring up political support in the farm belt. Now, a good clean burning diesel bike, or one run on electricity, hybred, or hydrogen fuel cells would be very interesting.

Or maybe a simple jet backpack -- that would do it!
/
/
Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.

• Page: