• Page:

TOPIC:

Kansas motorcycle fatalities on the rise 05 Sep 2007 08:35 #168671

• N0NB
  • N0NB's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Blue handles better
  • Thank you received: 19
The Wichita Eagle studied crash data from 2001 to 2006 and found, surprise, surprise, that fatalities and serious injuries amongst motorcyclists are on the rise. Unfortunately, at 14% of all highway fatalities of motorcyclists, Kansas is well ahead of the 11% national average.

Also, no surprise here, is that among 2417 crashes involving any other vehicle 67.4% of the time the motorcycle was not at fault. In crashes involving cars, the car driver was at fault 61% of the time. Interestingly, pickups were only at fault 46.4% and "other" 45.7%. (Unfortunately, I can't get their numbers to add up, which is the frustrating aspect of these sort of articles).

Here is a companion piece by the AP that summarizes the first story.

Fortunately, a helmet law isn't promoted as the solution, yet.
Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kansas motorcycle fatalities on the rise 05 Sep 2007 15:40 #168782

• The Milkman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 194
Not making light of it, but with the big increase in bikes on the road,,, at least in my neck of the woods it is bound to happen. Here is Maine people seem to pay a lot more attention to bikes for some reason. The only time I have had a problem was when I was cut off by a guy for New York State.
Maine also makes you take a one day course to get your permit to begin with. They actually do teach you things that you never think of as you are riding.
Ride safe out there guys.
78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: