Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Can I ask a H1/H2 (non KZ) question(s)? 28 Aug 2007 22:11 #167035

• brich
  • brich's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I know this is a KZ site, so I apologize in advance, but I know some of you cats must be into the H1 and H2 Kawi's and may be able to help me out.

I want one! For no other reason then I just really want a fast, loud, smokey 2-stroke! Always have ever since I gave up my KX 125. I miss the power-band, I miss the ring-ding-ding idle, I miss the sound that only a 2-stroke can make!

So it seems a H1 may be more in my price range then an H2. I even kind of like the way they look a bit better. So I know the pros of these bikes, but what are the cons? What kind of "issues", if any, do these bikes have? I am looking for a runner as I don't want to have to immediately fix it. I just want to ride it for a month or so till it gets cold .. then I'll work on it.

Also, what kind of price range (i know this is a loaded question) would you think is fair for a runner in decent shape, but weathered?

I really hope to pick one up soon. I also even toyed with the idea of an RZ-350. I saw one the other day and it looked pretty cool, but I am more partial to the old school look of the H bikes.
1975 Z1 900, 1075 wiesco kit, web cams, smooth bores, dyna ignition, denco pipe, lester mags, wicked bad rotors, custom gauge face plates .. not much stock left.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Can I ask a H1/H2 (non KZ) question(s)? 28 Aug 2007 22:40 #167043

• kwakagoose
  • User
Where you at?

Can I ask a H1/H2 (non KZ) question(s)? 28 Aug 2007 23:45 #167048

• brich
  • User
New Jersey
1975 Z1 900, 1075 wiesco kit, web cams, smooth bores, dyna ignition, denco pipe, lester mags, wicked bad rotors, custom gauge face plates .. not much stock left.

Can I ask a H1/H2 (non KZ) question(s)? 29 Aug 2007 08:26 #167107

• patmann
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
I paid $175.00 for H2, it's a running bike with painted Denco's and a Scorpion ?? big bore kit in it. It's no show bike it needs paint and other work. But the front tire has hardly touched the ground since new :whistle: . Now the back tire.. is a different story:pinch:
But that was from a buddy I've know for thirty years too;)
1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike
If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?

Can I ask a H1/H2 (non KZ) question(s)? 29 Aug 2007 09:01 #167118

• harm
  • User
  • Tom
  • Thank you received: 13
They are well known for being very fast in a straight line but handling and brakes are poor!! They are very cool bikes and I would consider it a privilige to own one. I have a friend who has the 750cc model, he used to sand drag it:woohoo: :woohoo: until he went over the bars and broke his arm.

Post edited by: harm, at: 2007/08/29 12:02
Tom
Holland, MI

1980 KZ550 ELR

2011 Concours14

2017 KX450 [/color]

Can I ask a H1/H2 (non KZ) question(s)? 29 Aug 2007 09:07 #167122

• ThousandKaw
  • User
Watch Ebay and you'll get a good idea of what these things are going for.

The H2's are typically double to triple (har, har, I couldn't resist) the price of the H1's.

H1's.
You could probably get a bike that runs with a title for around a grand to $1500.00 if you watch enough. In pretty respectable shape. So far the H1's just haven't brought the money or the interest that the true "Widow Maker" have.

The first three years, 1969 through 1971 are the first generation CDI (electronic ignition). Kinda squirrly, a bit hard to find parts for(the ignition anyway) not the most reliable, but the most fun. The first two years, white and red, really rip above 6,000RPM.
1971 is blue. Has the first of the flat side fuel tanks.

The 72, orange in color, they went back to points, but added a disc brake up front where they needed it!. You can find a few 72,orange ones that still had the shoe brake and CDI, very rare, very rare.

The 73, green, with lime green, center of tank, and first of the duck bill rear fender is the best of the bunch in my humble opinion(why cause I own one, that's why). It's the only H1 that has the H2 CDI ignition which is pretty flawless. I've owned the same one from high school (well I bought it back from my uncle who rode it once, got scared of it and parked it for 18 years) It's never let me down.
The 73 still has power, although I replaced the intake with pod filters and ported the heads closer to 1970 and put on the earlier exhausts (1969-1971). And handled marginally better than the earlier models.

74 to 76. They just got really mild, power wise. Pretty reliable, ride decent, but no real excitement as far as power, or noise racket.

You can make any H1 back to 1969 specs if you have a good knowlege of engines, although the 1976 KH500 is so mild I don't know if that one can do it. Well, sure you can, all it takes is time and money.

Although, they got smart in 1976 and put the transmission to a normal 1 down and 4 up rather than all "up" like on the earlier models.

H2's.

Every body wants the blue one, 1972, or at least the gold or vivid purple, 1973.(these have a two toned stripe under the word "Kawasaki") Those are the hot ones that scream. Expect to pay more money even if it isn't running. Bottom limit on H2's seems to be $2500.00 (on anything that's worth anything)

{PATMANN, got really lucky, yer buddy have any more bikes he wants to let go for that????)

Nothing wrong with the 74 (green or brown) or 75 lighter purple, in fact they are better engines because they routed the oil distribution a bit better. You could always tune and port them to 1972 specs or a lot better!!!!

Things about triples.

They were designed to accelerate. Steady state cruising makes for tingling hands. Decelerating and you'd think the rear wheel is coming off!!!!!!
They jump and lurch and gallop around on you.

Nothing, nothing.,,,,,,, beats the sound of an H2 when somebody gets on it.

Offer me enough money and I'll part with my H1. Completely restored after I got it back from my uncle.

Post edited by: ThousandKaw, at: 2007/08/30 07:57
\"Shady Slim\"
1951 Indian 80 CI
1974 MT1
1974 F11 X 2
1975 KX250 More fun than a guy should have
1977 KZ1000 Hooker Headers

Can I ask a H1/H2 (non KZ) question(s)? 29 Aug 2007 10:00 #167132

• brich
  • User
patmann wrote:

I paid $175.00 for H2, it's a running bike with painted Denco's and a Scorpion ?? big bore kit in it. It's no show bike it needs paint and other work. But the front tire has hardly touched the ground since new :whistle: . Now the back tire.. is a different story:pinch:
But that was from a buddy I've know for thirty years too;)

DUDE!!! I am so envious. You should pay it forward and sell it to me for $275! :P Seriously though, that is an AWESOME find man. One of the most awesome I've ever heard of.

Can I ask a H1/H2 (non KZ) question(s)? 29 Aug 2007 10:19 #167135

• brich
  • User
ThousandKaw - YOU ARE THE BEST MAN!! Thanks for all that great info. Way more then I was expecting. I feel like i got a perfect reference guide for bidding based on the years now!

This also explains why some crappy looking H2's go for more then some running ones I saw on eBay, must be 'cause the years they were made.

I PM'ed you too with another question.

I somehow have a feeling I can't afford your H1 :dry:

Can I ask a H1/H2 (non KZ) question(s)? 29 Aug 2007 10:19 #167136

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 237
The main problem is no parts availability. Even air filters and cables are all NLA. I bought my H2 in my avatar for $1000, mint with 9000 miles. Envy on, but this was back in 1979 :P H2s were out of style by then with the 900s and KZ1000s, but they've come back strong in later years.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Can I ask a H1/H2 (non KZ) question(s)? 29 Aug 2007 13:58 #167167

• patmann
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
ThousandKaw wrote:
[quote

{PATMANN, got really lucky, yer buddy have any more bikes he wants to let go for that????)

He's a Harley man @ heart but loves all bikes ( a true rider IMHO ). He picked it up ( get this part ) from the curb years ago set out for trash !!! :blink:
The guy came out of his house when Hippy John pulled into his drive and said "if you want it, I have a tittle for it too"
About two years ago he asked me if I was interested in it. I thought about it for maybe 1/10 of a second then said yes!! Then I saw it:pinch: She's a true beater. The tank is dented and rusted inside and out,, the handlebars bar rusted and bent, you get the idea I'm sure. But with a key and tittle and RUNNING for $175.00 what's a guy to do:whistle: ?!
Sorry for the high jacking but it's no jewel, yet...
Pat

Post edited by: patmann, at: 2007/08/29 16:59
1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike
If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?

Can I ask a H1/H2 (non KZ) question(s)? 29 Aug 2007 15:07 #167180

• kwakagoose
  • User
The sound is great.

Can I ask a H1/H2 (non KZ) question(s)? 29 Aug 2007 15:20 #167181

• brich
  • User
damn right it is. Great way to make friends with the neighbors too! ;-)