Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

How long is too long? 13 Aug 2007 13:23 #163571

• Corith
  • Corith's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
So, I've had my bike at a shop for a while now. I dropped it off and it was going to be a 10 day turn around before I could get a quote. That turned into 2 weeks. Then after the quote it was going to be another 10 days for the work. Well, today makes 2 weeks.

So my question is this. I called on Thursday (day 11) to check the status. The only thing they are waiting on is for the tank to dry (I had it sent to a radiator shop and they are sealing it). When should I call again? Today is day 14, should I call today, Wednesday, or let them finish out the week?

Just curious. I don't want to annoy these guys as they are the only guys in this area who will work on such an old bike. I don't want to be the "annoying" customer no one likes to deal with. But at the same time I'm of the belief that if you tell someone it'll be 10 days, they at least deserve a call on day 10 to let them know it will be longer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How long is too long? 13 Aug 2007 13:36 #163573

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
Maybe 10 days means 10 working days = two weeks. It's like that in a lot of businesses.
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

How long is too long? 13 Aug 2007 13:50 #163587

• ltdrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
I'd call today (or tomorrow if it's already too late), and get them to tell me WHEN I can pick up the bike. When they told you they were waiting for the tank to dry, they should have told you how long that would take. I don't worry about becoming the PITA customer, I'm the customer that won't be BS'd by the service manager.
That said, I don't take my bike to a shop... none of them even know what a KZ is. But that's the way I am with my cars when I have to have them worked on.
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

How long is too long? 13 Aug 2007 14:48 #163613

• BSKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
I would be worried right now, if the tank goes to a rad shop the cleaning process they use is going to eat the paint also, something dosent sound right to me.
I would make a trip to the shop to see the work that has been done, if nothing then pick it up and the experts on this site could prop work thur just about any problem you would have
77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

How long is too long? 13 Aug 2007 17:55 #163669

• Corith
  • Corith's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
I've seen the bike and the work is done, all but the tank. Also, I'm not talking to the service manager, but to the mechanic who is working on my bike. So I'm not to worried about the work being done incorrectly or not at all.

I didn't mean to give that impression.

I asked about the paint and the guy assured me that the sealing process they use won't eat the paint.

Also, the only reason it's at the shop is because I live in an apartment and don't have access to a place to work on my bike. I'm actually upset I HAVE to take it there, as I really enjoy wrenching on my bike.

I'll call tomorrow and get an update. Thanks for the advice though everyone. I'll let everyone know what happens. ;-)

How long is too long? 13 Aug 2007 18:48 #163682

• KZPens
  • User
I would drop by with a stack of donuts or a sixpack depending on the shop, this way you're not the annoying customer, but the guy who brought the donuts/beer ;) , what's another 6 bucks... but thats me.

Hope you get your bike soon.

• Page: