Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Pee break? 29 Jul 2007 10:06 #160530

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • RetroRiceRocketRider's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
Although this is carb related, I'm posting it here since I'm just venting and don't actually need any help or advise on the prob - unfortunately I know what I have to do to fix it. :pinch:

I drug the ZN out of the garage this morning after it having sat for two weeks of not being ridden or even started to meet up with Z1rick and the rest of the characters in the Geezers MC for breakfast and a ride.

It fired right up! :woohoo:

But after about 10 secs of idling, I noticed fuel running down the engine cover. :huh:

So I shut it off and flipped the petcock lever to prime, and sure enough if the #2 carb isn't quickly PEEING fuel all over my bike and the driveway = dirty needle seat or stuck needle/float.
Tapping on the float bowl to try to free it up didn't work, so I get an allen wrench and proceeded to remove the float bowl screws to remedy the situation and hopefully be riding leak-free in a few mins.
No dice. The zinc coated allen head screws that I used to replace the stripped out OEM phillips-head screws aren't budging! :S

So now I need to yank the carbs off to get to those screws with a better tool and more working room/leverage.
While they're off I might as well clean everything out AGAIN, replace the o-rings on the "T" vent tubes between each carb that I've been putting off doing, and of course replace the two rock-hard and poorly sealing air ducts (Has my order shipped yet Jeff?:whistle::lol:) that I've also been putting off doing.
Since I've already got the fuel tank off, I might as well tackle the leaking cam plugs and check valve clearances, install the WG coil mod, and yank the ignition switch to clean up the contacts so it will quit randomly killing power (always happens while accelerating = LOUD backfire!:ohmy: ) while I'm out riding.

I'm ashamed to admit that I should have tackled these other non-carb related probs when they popped up.:blush: But the weather's been to danged nice lately to be sweating it out in my garage wrenching when I could be out riding, and this morning was just to beautiful to not go riding!

I really lucked out, since these probs that I've neglected fixing didn't strand me somewhere out in BFE, or worse yet cause me to crash.
Don't neglect doing today what might strand you (or possibly worse) just for a few hours or a day of riding time.
Your bike, wallet, family and friends will definately thank you for it.

Thanks for letting me vents folks. :)
Now I'm off to the garage to finish what I started. :whistle:
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pee break? 29 Jul 2007 10:51 #160531

• The Milkman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 194
As long as you have to do all that work you may as well do it, but sometimes it is just a tiny chip of dirt in the needle and seat. If you pull the vacumm line off the petcock and plug it. Then, start the bike and let it run out of gas then reconnect everything and put it on prime the gush of gas going into the carb will flush out the dirt. Just my observation and experience.
Ride safe.
78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

Pee break? 29 Jul 2007 11:37 #160536

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
Don't forget to put on the Classic Rock,there Chris...it'll make the job go smoother.
But I'm sure You knew that...B) ...

Good luck with Your list.B)

And just remember...for those fuel T-fittings...teflon tape helps too,if You're in doubt.;)
1977 KZ1000 A-1

Pee break? 29 Jul 2007 11:38 #160537

• z1rick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Chris said:
(Don't neglect doing today what might strand you (or possibly worse) just for a few hours or a day of riding time.)

What exactly are you implying?
:P Just because I haven't replaced that speedo cable or kick stand spring yet...:whistle: LOL
Anaheim CA
1999 KZ 100P
1974 Z1 900 Project
1977 (2) KZ 650 projects

Pee break? 30 Jul 2007 08:33 #160701

• Bluemeanie
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
So Chris, did you make it to breakfast or stay home and fix the bike? :whistle:
1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

Pee break? 30 Jul 2007 18:35 #160809

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • RetroRiceRocketRider's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
I'd NEVER say that Rick.
So, just how fast WERE you going while heading to breakfast? :whistle: :P :lol:

Bluemeanie wrote:

So Chris, did you make it to breakfast or stay home and fix the bike? :whistle:

Stayed and worked on the bike. :(
But it's not fixed/reassembled yet, since I still need the airbox boots and to check the valve clearance.
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

Pee break? 30 Jul 2007 19:48 #160822

• brich
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Sandy wrote:

Don't forget to put on the Classic Rock,there Chris...it'll make the job go smoother.
But I'm sure You knew that...B) ...

I find i am more productive with some Motown or James Brown (may he rest in piece) on .. it don't git no "smoover" B) then that. Plus when you get up to get that wrench you need you can bust a fly move to it instead of walking. The wrench appreciates it and you look super bad too. ;)
1975 Z1 900, 1075 wiesco kit, web cams, smooth bores, dyna ignition, denco pipe, lester mags, wicked bad rotors, custom gauge face plates .. not much stock left.

Pee break? 30 Jul 2007 20:47 #160826

• z1rick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
How fast? I don't need no stinking speedometer:whistle:
I figure about 5,000 to 5,500 R's:evil: :evil:
Anaheim CA
1999 KZ 100P
1974 Z1 900 Project
1977 (2) KZ 650 projects

• Page: