• Page:

TOPIC:

Starting out on KZ 750 B 27 Aug 2023 13:15 #888747

• CaitKier
  • CaitKier's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Good day all.

I recently purchased a KZ 750 B which is an import from the States. It was not running and had/has various bits missing. So far I have taken the engine out to clean properly, frame has gone for powder coating and some new bits bought. VM 34 carbs and Daikin 2 in to 1. Damaged the swing arm taking the needle roller bearings outer casings out. I have some bobber bits that I got with  the bike and am not yet sure what/whether I am going for original regarding indicators, gauges etc. I rode a KZ 750 E for years and although not in the class of GSX R and the like it was great bike. I will post photos and progress as I go and would appreciate any advice on points replacement, whether porting the head is a good idea etc.. My other bikes are Triumph ST 1050, BMW R1100RS and Fireblade. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Starting out on KZ 750 B 28 Aug 2023 06:45 #888785

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1624
Howdy. If you stumble upon any posts by steell or bountyhunter, your ears should perk up.  They probably know as much or more about the 750 Twins as anyone. Neither has posted in a while, though. but their old info is hopefully still available. not sure what kind of purges have been done on KZR.

Starting out on KZ 750 B 23 Sep 2023 17:37 #889694

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
These are fun bikes to fiddle with because there is considerable room for improvement. 

I would not advise porting. A light sanding to remove casting flash and blend in the valve seat is OK but the valves and ports on these engines are already too big for the displacement. 

The number one thing I would recommend doing is getting a set of decent 1” over length shocks.
Second is aftermarket fork springs and some type of cartridge emulator. 
these two mods make this bike very fun to ride. Very nimble with the rear raised.

take the time to shim the swingarm properly 

I would recommend ditching the points for the later electronic ignition, or better yet an aftermarket ignition from power arc. The late model OEM electronic ignition has more initial timing and advance than the points and the Power Arc optical ignition has even more still. Really wakes these engines up. They suffer from poor combustion chamber design so anything there helps. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rusty B1

Last edit: by DoctoRot.
  • Page: