Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

I am a member of MHA (Motorcycle Hoarder Anonymous) Gpz900R -91 aka ZX900A10 11 Jan 2023 11:43 #878739

• scubaanders
  • scubaanders's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 233
Hello my name is Anders and I am a motorcycle hoarder.  Now when it’s been said I feel much better, the on the other hand I know I am among friends.

My buddy Erik has been scouting for a Gpz900 for a while and got really upset when the owner of the bike he had laid his eyes on all of a sudden changed his mind and didn’t want to sell it.

Being a good friend I couldn’t hold myself and posted on a local FB group that I was interested of a Gpz900 project bike. The nothing happened, after that even less happened, then all of a sudden like two months later, two days before x-mas I got a fb message from a guy that had flooded a -91 three years ago and had broken down the carbs and then had just left it sitting and offered it to me for 750 USD.

Told the guy that it was right before xmas, but that I would get back to him when this started to slow down, so after a new years I message the guy and sent him my phone number. He called the same day and sent me some pixs. a -91 with a 41mm fork, 17’ frond wheel, four pod calipers, 300 discs and a wider rear tyre, now I had a hard time controlling myself but kept  my cool.

-Yeah be of interest and made an offer of 600 USD , I could hear the guys disappointment and he wanted to check with a guy that had shown interest earlier.
-Sure but I can be at your place on Friday with cash in hand (220 Km from Stockholm).

Next day the guy phoned back and as the other guy lived really far away he backed out, it was mine for 600 USD if I show up Friday. Done!

Friday morning I set of with another Gpz900 owning friend at 06:30 and by 15:00 the bike was offloaded in my workshop.

Looking pretty darn good, no witness marks of ever been down, no dents no scratches and a sexy luggage rack (the guy offered the bags for it, but I left them).

So now I will do whatever everybody else does , shop for an diarrhea brown seat, 

Hacksaw blades 

and exhaust bandages.  

Getting it running first are for amateurs (^o^) 

/A
Gpz750R1 1982
Gpz750A1 1983
Gpz1100A2 1984
FZ750 1985
Gpz900R -91
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: slayer61

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I am a member of MHA (Motorcycle Hoarder Anonymous) Gpz900R -91 aka ZX900A10 11 Jan 2023 11:53 #878741

• Jonas_Z1000j
  • User
  • Thank you received: 31
Hahahaha

Nice find!
Z1000 J2 -82 not so running restoration object anymore
Z900RS -21 Green/Yellow

I am a member of MHA (Motorcycle Hoarder Anonymous) Gpz900R -91 aka ZX900A10 11 Jan 2023 11:59 #878743

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1720
looks worth every penny 

I am a member of MHA (Motorcycle Hoarder Anonymous) Gpz900R -91 aka ZX900A10 11 Jan 2023 12:02 #878745

• larriken
  • User
  • Thank you received: 61
Don't worry mate I have a serious motorcycle hoarding problem too. Only issue is I have to sell a few every now and then to finish one. Bugger. Nice find though, looks awesome.

I am a member of MHA (Motorcycle Hoarder Anonymous) Gpz900R -91 aka ZX900A10 11 Jan 2023 16:12 #878754

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1008
I have a friend who owns over 400 motorcycles.  He has 25 Honda Sport 90's.  He says you are not a hoarder until you have over 100.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThatGPzGuy

I am a member of MHA (Motorcycle Hoarder Anonymous) Gpz900R -91 aka ZX900A10 13 Jan 2023 09:36 #878805

• Stereordinary
  • User
  • Thank you received: 127
What a deal, that’s amazing. Wish I could find something like that. Awesome bike. 
A breeze from the west.
‘90 ZR550 Zephyr (x2)

I am a member of MHA (Motorcycle Hoarder Anonymous) Gpz900R -91 aka ZX900A10 14 Jan 2023 04:55 #878816

• 73z1
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 103

Being a good friend I couldn’t hold myself and posted on a local FB group that I was interested of a Gpz900 project bike. The nothing happened, after that even less happened, then all of a sudden like two months later, two days before x-mas I got a fb message from a guy that had flooded a -91 three years ago and had broken down the carbs and then had just left it sitting and offered it to me for 750 USD.

You are very fortunate you have it, you could have lost it by waiting or making offers, hope you friend gets it unless he has one.

I am a member of MHA (Motorcycle Hoarder Anonymous) Gpz900R -91 aka ZX900A10 15 Jan 2023 10:14 #878851

• scubaanders
  • Sustaining Member
I know,  I am even way behind the biggest addicts in my inner circle of acquaintances, but I am not a collector and I usually don’t just hoard projects but still the number now is n+1.

Ok so the PO told me that he took the bike for a spin three years ago and I started to run unclean and after he had parked for a while he was convinced that he had completely flooded the bike and aqualocked it as it had given of a load exhaust explosion when he tried to ride it back home.

I on the other hand is that that easily convinced, so either I have bought a bike that needs a bit of carburetor/fuel system love or a basket case with bent conrods and hammered big end bearings. Anyhow at 600 USD  I can part it out if needed. 

So while waiting for my ebay order of the brown seat, the hacksaw blade, exhaust bandages and white walled motocross tires I did not start with the most obvious task of cutting up the wiring harness. I choose a other very unconventional route.

I checked the tank for any evidence of rust or other grit that could have caused the flooding, but its spanking clean,

Even when looking with my boroscope I could not find anything but clean steel.

Funny thing is that the PO had taken the time to remove the float bowls with the carb rack still on the bike. I do envy his perseverance.

With the carbs of I couldn’t find any real big issues except for the usual grime

The float needles had seen their better days and that one of the throttle needle seats were missing as he had removed main jets and emulsion tubes and with them out the throttle needle seats will eventually fall of and one of them had reached the point of eventually.
So one of these little buggers where missing and as these types of Keihin are new to me I don’t have any in my stash of carb stuff.  

Well these Keihin are just a joy to work with, extremely easy to break down and clean.

With all sorted and a list of needed stuff and no hacksaw blade I tried to make myself useful.
Belly pan fairing of and see there, the banjos for the oil lines are in desperate need of copious amount of blue permatex.

Draining the engine oil I found no foul smell of gas, nice so the engine didn’t flood after all. Oil filter looked ok, no metal shavings when I cut it up. Guess the big end bearings can be ok after all.

Then when I didn’t have any exhaust bandages either I spent a good day of the afternoon removing a m3 of chain lube from the left hand side of the bike behind the covers, on the chain, sprocket, rear wheel and chain guard.

Funny thing with these Gpz900, they are prone to leak oil, most commonly from the water pump or as it looks, from the crush washers on the banjos for the oil cooler and oil lines to the cylinder head.

So with that I just have to wait for my brown seat and have to find a trusty supplier of wire cutters so that I can start molesting the wiring harness. 

Brgds Anders   
Gpz750R1 1982
Gpz750A1 1983
Gpz1100A2 1984
FZ750 1985
Gpz900R -91
Attachments:

Last edit: by scubaanders.

I am a member of MHA (Motorcycle Hoarder Anonymous) Gpz900R -91 aka ZX900A10 15 Jan 2023 10:39 #878853

• Wookie58
Ok so the PO told me that he took the bike for a spin three years ago and I started to run unclean and after he had parked for a while he was convinced that he had completely flooded the bike and aqualocked it as it had given of a load exhaust explosion when he tried to ride it back home.

Given the exhaust explosions and the lack of obvious carb defects do you think it may be ignition related? (While you are waiting for the hacksaw blades why not give it a coat of Matt black  )

I am a member of MHA (Motorcycle Hoarder Anonymous) Gpz900R -91 aka ZX900A10 15 Jan 2023 10:56 #878855

• scubaanders
  • Sustaining Member
Ahhh I forgot to write that nr 1&2 sparkplugs were on the lean side whereas 3&4 were fouled.
My 2 cents are on the float needles that had a bit of a crown. I even dismantled the petcock a it showed signs of use. Nothing more. 

Wrinkle matt black?
Gpz750R1 1982
Gpz750A1 1983
Gpz1100A2 1984
FZ750 1985
Gpz900R -91

Last edit: by scubaanders.

I am a member of MHA (Motorcycle Hoarder Anonymous) Gpz900R -91 aka ZX900A10 15 Jan 2023 10:59 #878856

• Wookie58

I am a member of MHA (Motorcycle Hoarder Anonymous) Gpz900R -91 aka ZX900A10 15 Jan 2023 14:39 #878859

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1953
Check static cam timing and ignition timing  just to be sure
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn