Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Vacuum system on an 81 kz650 csr 23 Jul 2022 10:37 #870902

• David Endres
  • David Endres's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello all,  I was wondering if any of you could give me some insight as to how to vent the crankcase when removing the air box and installing air pods.  Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Vacuum system on an 81 kz650 csr 23 Jul 2022 12:28 #870906

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 680
There shouldn't be much positive pressure in the the crankcase so you could just remove the airbox and L shape tube or if you are worried you can run a tube from the crankcase up under the seat and vent it by the tail light.
Should worn you about cheap pods. Don't just don't or you'll be forever trying to get to run right. 
If you must have pods use top quality one of the correct size and fit. Kawasaki spent a lot of time and money getting good porformance using an airbox. If it ran better with pods they would have saved both time and money and fitted them from the outset. 

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

Vacuum system on an 81 kz650 csr 23 Jul 2022 14:14 #870911

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829

Hello all,  I was wondering if any of you could give me some insight as to how to vent the crankcase when removing the air box and installing air pods.  Dave

Why would you do that?  Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Vacuum system on an 81 kz650 csr 23 Jul 2022 15:11 #870914

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2707

Racers are required to run the crankcase breather hose into a catch can of some sort.  Otherwise, oil fog will spew out of the hose and go god knows where.  I recommend a PBR can strapped to the frame.  Doesn't get any cooler than that!  
The following user(s) said Thank You: 82KZ305Belt

Last edit: by Nessism.

Vacuum system on an 81 kz650 csr 24 Jul 2022 12:25 #870946

• David Endres
  • David Endres's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the response.  I hear you about the air pods...I tried to stay stock but could not find the right right carb to airbox boots anywhere.  My concern was that the crankcase was vented by a small amount of vacuum from the air box but older bikes never did this.  I believe the issue about running right with pods stem from limited air coming from the box to the carbs and once the box is removed more air flows to the carbs ( not sure about this) but I have rejetted carbs before successfully so Im pretty sure I could manage that.  I do have one more question however.  Would I be correct to assume if I removed the diafram from the petcock, it would feed fuel to the carbs without limitation with the except of the off position?  I figure as long as I'm eliminating vacuum why not go all the way.  By the way, what is a PBR can?

Vacuum system on an 81 kz650 csr 24 Jul 2022 13:21 #870947

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1983
PBR  in this case is likely Pabst Blue Ribbon   Beer   Drank many a PBR in my youth  
 Or if Navy  Patrol Boat River   Vietnam vintage

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

Vacuum system on an 81 kz650 csr 24 Jul 2022 13:45 #870949

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1920
Today we use 

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 82KZ305Belt

• Page: