1979 KZ650B Streamlined Restomod 23 Jan 2022 08:12 #860922

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 372
Nice work so far. 
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1979 KZ650B Streamlined Restomod 25 Jan 2022 04:18 #861051

• Oysteinaar
  • Oysteinaar's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
rstnick: thank you 

So, I currently live 6 hours away from where the bike is stored (for work), and also I'm in covid quarantine, so I figured I would spend some time gathering more parts for the bike and plan forward.

The Shindengen 775/SH775 reg/rec: I have read it's a good upgrade, but would it work with the original capacitor/points ignition? Or electric Dyna S only?

I'm about to buy a set of engine guards, just waiting for the guy to reply   Edit: didn't recognise it was you, rstnick, I was buying from. I just sent you the payment via paypal, thanks for hooking me up!

I have also put in an order for the 750 H rear fender. Any ideas for a front fender that would suit the bike with minor fabrication? I want it as "short/small" as possible without ruining it's purpose (I dont want water splashing on the engine/exhaust or me while riding)

Regarding the dual front brake: what parts are needed? Could I use the caliper and disk that are already on? Or do I have to get a set for both sides?
I've also been thinking about getting a raask rear set (around $300). Does anyone know if this set interferes with the center stand or anything else?

Also when I rebuild the front forks, I read something about putting a 1" piece of pvc tubing with washers on top of the spring to get the front a little stiffer - good or stupid idea(?)

The former owner has drilled 2 holes in the lower part of the "steering crown" (?) Probably to grease the steering bearings - stupid, I know. But I'm gonna upgrade the bearings anyway, so I was thinking I would either A: weld the holes or B: glue them with epoxy or something, but I'm not sure what the best solution would be.

And also, ideas and inputs are always welcome! 

Kawasaki KZ650 1979

Last edit: by Oysteinaar.

1979 KZ650B Streamlined Restomod 25 Jan 2022 04:49 #861053

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659

The Shindengen 775/SH775 reg/rec: I have read it's a good upgrade, but would it work with the original capacitor/points ignition? Or electric Dyna S only?

The SH775 is a combo regulator/rectifier for the charging system.  Points or Dyna S is the ignition system.  Totally different.  

When searching for a SH775 be sure to verify that SH775AB or SH775AA is printed on the top fin.  There are tons of fakes on the market, and you can identify them by the lack of this printing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThatGPzGuy

Last edit: by Nessism.

1979 KZ650B Streamlined Restomod 25 Jan 2022 06:56 #861058

• Oysteinaar
  • User
Thanks for clarifying, my bad 

I will make sure to check the printing!
Kawasaki KZ650 1979

1979 KZ650B Streamlined Restomod 25 Jan 2022 07:53 #861059

• Skidmark
  • User
  • Thank you received: 256

The former owner has drilled 2 holes in the lower part of the "steering crown" (?) Probably to grease the steering bearings - stupid, I know. But I'm gonna upgrade the bearings anyway, so I was thinking I would either A: weld the holes or B: glue them with epoxy or something, but I'm not sure what the best solution would be.

If by "steering crown" you mean the steering head tube welded in the frame, if you are planning on refinishing the frame I would weld it up and grind it flush so it will not be seen after painting/powder coating.  If you are not taking it all the way down to the frame, a touch up or epoxy route would be visible after the repair.
Retired gearhead
'81 KZ-750 E2
'87 Suzuki Savage 650 Street Tracker

1979 KZ650B Streamlined Restomod 25 Jan 2022 08:22 #861060

• Oysteinaar
  • User
Yeah, the steering head tube thingy. I'm going to replace the steering bearings later on, so I guess, I'll weld it, grind it, and paint over it then. Thanks!
Kawasaki KZ650 1979

1979 KZ650B Streamlined Restomod 25 Jan 2022 15:10 #861087

• 750 R1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 394
Just a tip, if you are going to weld the bearing area of the steering stem, leave the old bearing collar in place, it will stop any distortion, it may not distort but I liked knowing it wouldn't by using the old bearing. I actually used a Kawasaki wheel bearing as it was the same size, just tapped it into place, welded new steering stops , let it cool and removed the bearing, everything is still round...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Skidmark, Oysteinaar

1979 KZ650B Streamlined Restomod 31 Jan 2022 10:21 #861530

• Oysteinaar
  • User
750 R1: I will be sure to remember, thank you!

I'm currently contemplating switching out the original ignition on the bike to either the Dyna S, Boyer Bransden or an electronic ignition from a KZ750E (or another model, if possible). I read somewhere that the original electronic ignitions for kawasaki's would be the more reliable option, but then I read another thread and it's vice/versa.

I was wondering if this will be a straight swap, and if so will it work with the original coils I have now, or do I have to aqcuire new ones? (Depending of what setup I choose)

I have new points and condensers laying around, but would like to get some pointers regarding the pro's and cons of making the switch, which of the former is the most reliable option, and also is it worth it cost-wise?

The pro's I can think of so far of going electronic:
    ●No headaches adjusting the points
    ●Better spark at the plugs
    ●Fewer moving parts, less chance of something breaking
    ●Better fuel efficiency (?)

And the obvious con
    ●Expensive 
Kawasaki KZ650 1979

Last edit: by Oysteinaar.

1979 KZ650B Streamlined Restomod 31 Jan 2022 10:27 #861531

• ghostdive
  • User
  • Thank you received: 118
I'd also call it a con that if it breaks you're stuck, whereas if you've got points you can probably get it going again - not that I plan on putting points on my bike!
1982 KZ750 Spectre - 6 speed swap, BS34s, 18" rear wheel

2001 ZX-6R

1979 KZ650B Streamlined Restomod 31 Jan 2022 13:28 #861544

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
I have points on my 1977 KZ650-C1.  I clean and reset them about every 5,000 miles and change them about every 9,000 - 10,000 miles.  The major reason I won't install an electronic ignition is the fact that if it fails it will leave you stranded.  That simply doesn't happen with points even though they do wear which eventually leads to somewhat less than perfect performance.  I have found that replacing points is quite easy for me to do, so it's no big deal.   I've owned the bike since it was new; it now has more than 62,000 miles on it.  Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

1979 KZ650B Streamlined Restomod 31 Jan 2022 14:37 #861548

• 750 R1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 394
Points are outdated technology, show me one bike in the last 40 years that's been made with points. The only failures I've seen with aftermarket electronic ignitions are from Dyna, they went through a bad period a few years back, I've seen multiple coil failures from Dyna as well.   Ignitech do an electronic ignition that's fully programable that's way cheaper than Dyna and there are various others, I also know plenty of 80's bikes that are still running their stock electronic ignitions.... Ignitech are in the czech republic . Tell them what advance curve you want and they put it the ignition for you, plug and play.

www.ignitech.cz/en/vyrobky/tcip/tcip.htm

1979 KZ650B Streamlined Restomod 01 Feb 2022 10:42 #861591

• Oysteinaar
  • User
Maybe I'll just go keep the points for now then, since I've already purchased a kit, and it's also nice to learn something new. Will be the first time playing around with points.

Something I have been playing a little with on the other hand, is photoshop. I cant quite decide on how I want the pinstripes to look (they will be painted on -- one thick and one thin).
I'm contemplating on going with a dark moss green/almost fading to black - metallic color for the tank and rear flair, and maybe the side covers as well (not sure, I kinda like them in black also. And metallic gold pinstripes

And as always, suggestions are welcome!

draft no.1:
Kawasaki KZ650 1979