Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Turbo for my KZ1000 12 Jul 2020 14:13 #830478

• Bent Trigger
  • Bent Trigger's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
Been looking to do some repairs on my motor, the head has broken fins and the valve seals are shot. I can tell by the dripping oil on my boot.. I've got another head that i'm going to send out to be worked on. Just a bring it back to standard . I bought a Rajay turbo setup on Friday , and am cleaning the pile up . I haven't decided where to put the turbo, in front or behind the head. I've built a few bikes and can fab so I'll mock both to see what i like.. When I pull the head I'll better see the condition of the pistons and hopefully they'll be sufficient for the turbo. Looking at a HD timing chain and new guide and adjuster and Arp studs and nuts. I've already started blasting everything to check its condition. Here's some pics! Chris
photos.app.goo.gl/18uBYJhgHybE5nvVA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Turbo for my KZ1000 12 Jul 2020 18:50 #830502

• Bent Trigger
  • User
Here''s a pic of the bike!
Attachments:

Last edit: by Street Fighter LTD.

Turbo for my KZ1000 12 Jul 2020 19:20 #830505

• M_a_t_t
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 41
You're turboing a bike with no front brake?
83 KZ1100A (shaft)
17 Versys X 300 abs
81 kz650h1
81 kz750e2
90 Honda CBR600F (brother's)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism, Bent Trigger

Turbo for my KZ1000 12 Jul 2020 19:30 #830506

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1952
I fixed your bike pictures .
Next time click the insert all tab.
Im unsure of the turbo being a good idea on your bike
As pointed out . No front brake
Amen Savior frame
Turbo kit appears to be a rear mounted turbo with a over cam cover pipe feeding it .
Going to be tight at best. Typically only done with that style pipe on a funny bike or top fueler which has more room for pipe.
Good Luck
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bent Trigger

Turbo for my KZ1000 12 Jul 2020 22:23 #830520

• Shankkole
  • User
  • Thank you received: 141
Great bike, Satellite invader and a Amen plunger frame with a girder.Why not Turbo to shoot that sweet ride to the moon! This site has Amazing help and knowledge.That being said they may not like your vision, but will help your feed your insanity if you are serious and give detailed (pics help)info/ questions. Some answer with... why would you do that,others advise not to, others detailed drawings and spec sheets for answers. just get some cash around and keep reading and asking because I love reading up on Turbo setups in prep for a build 2 years out.

Turbo for my KZ1000 13 Jul 2020 03:39 #830531

• Bent Trigger
  • User
Thanks for the interest guys. Yes it was from a race bike but I fab and can put it where I like, out front will probably be the ticket as I'm not interested in cooked eggs! It is a pretty fast bike now and not too sketchy with that rear drum. But the front wheel is drilled for mini rotors and I'll probably get that type of set up. It's not so much the speed I'm looking for It's the experience of the install and tuning and the bragging rights, of having a put a turbo in a KZ1000!! If I don't like it, I can put It on the ZRX!!! Has anyone seen this type of waste gate before? It seems to be adjustable! Again thanks guys. Chris

Last edit: by Bent Trigger.

Turbo for my KZ1000 13 Jul 2020 03:47 #830532

• Bent Trigger
  • User
And has anyone got a line on who made the intake plenum? Also any info on the turbo, operation manual etc. And why would you modify the float, seems it would get saturated with the sealed skin cut off? Chris

Turbo for my KZ1000 13 Jul 2020 04:53 #830533

• Dragbike_Mike
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 103

Bent Trigger wrote: Has anyone seen this type of waste gate before? It seems to be adjustable! Again thanks guys. Chris

Chris - That waste gate looks like a BHP (Bill Hahn Products) unit. I ran one on my dragbike back in the day. See pic below

Mike
Presently - 1980 KZ1000B4 LTD w/mild ported head, Megacycle cams, 1015cc Wiseco, Falicon Supercrank, R&D undercut trans
In a former life - KZ-based dragbike - CrMo car tire chassis, 1395cc, Hahn Racecraft turbo system, VP C16, Orient Express 3-spd auto, 7.80's @ 165-170.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism, Bent Trigger

Last edit: by Dragbike_Mike.

Turbo for my KZ1000 13 Jul 2020 05:19 #830535

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659
All I can say is WOW! I didn't know over the top exhaust routing was even a thing. Crazy $hit!

Can't offer any advice but will be watching progress!

Attachments:

Last edit: by Nessism.

Turbo for my KZ1000 13 Jul 2020 05:21 #830536

• Bent Trigger
  • User
Thanks Mike, looks like you've got some serious work into that bike.:cheer: I love the chain driven ignition!! Somehow I don;t think mine will be that involved, but I have been thinking of an inter cooler.:whistle:

Turbo for my KZ1000 13 Jul 2020 08:45 #830548

• Bent Trigger
  • User
So I found a rebuild kit for the turbo,www.turbokits.com/Turbo_Chargers/Turbo_R...ay_Rebuild_Kit/1467/
How do I know if it will fit mine? Mine has no tag for identification. And they ask if you have a dual feed bearing, I guess I'll have to disassemble it to get a view. It also includes a factory service manual PDF. Also Is this turbo oil system pressure fed or gravity fed? Someone tapped a 1/8npt on the discharge but never cleaned the thing up. Wonder what they were trying to measure?
Attachments:

Last edit: by Bent Trigger.

Turbo for my KZ1000 13 Jul 2020 09:04 #830553

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1952
Not familiar with a dual feed bearing .
Most all turbo Kaws run a Rajay F 40 turbo.
Oil supply is pressure fed . You tap into the oil transfer block bolted behind the motor , This tapped supply should have a
restriction orifice so it doesnt steal all your oil pressure and oil volume needed by the motor.
Important is that oil feed to center section bearing is on top of the turbo , with the larger drain / return line on the bottom .
These units basically pour oil over the bearing and drain out the bottom . They are NOT meant to fill and hold oil around the bearing .
Never seen that intake before. To bad Mr Turbo isnt operating . Terry Kizer would know
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn