Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 10 May 2020 09:32 #825380

• Saablord
  • Saablord's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 59
i should pickup a blast cabinet as well; i just have the 25lb tank blaster.

If you use EV1 style injectors with a barb adapter, you can use the existing holders. I wanted to use some EV12 injectors, so i had to make a rail. But the injector hole in the TBs is the correct size (14mm) for basically any injector.

These are drop in for the stock injectors with more flow, but still are low impedance. High impedance will be easier to use with a EFI conversion, but there are ways around this.

These are drop in as well (if you get the barb adapters) and high impedance.

As far as the TPS, there are a couple options. I thought the gsxr tps wouldnt require modification to the TB shaft, but it did. This one would just require a simple bracket.

So my answer is: it depends on what you want to do :laugh:

As for my 810 motor, i canceled my revzilla parts order and will have parts for the starter clutch on monday from Z1 Enterprises! I should be able to get these crank sensor parts cut Monday as well. Oh, and I got my motor stand welded up so i can install a ZR750 exhaust with a wideband sensor. hoping for first full EFI startup this week!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kawasakik1e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Saablord.

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 12 May 2020 19:39 #825590

• Saablord
  • User
New crank trigger is working! Installed the setup on the daily and ran the ECU in spark only mode. Revs perfectly now and to atleast 6krpm... i couldnt bring my self to redline a stationary bike :laugh:

Video link, audio broken though
Attachments:

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 12 May 2020 21:13 #825596

• Kawasakik1e
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
That's awesome. You Da man!.....
Would you be willing to share your laser files?

Throwing 750 engine back in '81 KZ750 frame this weekend so I can start working on a header next week. Will cut some exhaust flanges at work.... willing to rough something in and ship to you; I'm stoked to started cutting/welding something external to push this project farther AND I need the practice.
The Collection-all insured, plated and ridden.
'79 KZ650 EFI/Turbo Project
'76 KZ900 "Workin' Man"
'00 ZRX1100 The Beast
'09 H-D XR1200 "XR8ted"

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 13 May 2020 11:17 #825635

• Saablord
  • User
Of course.

I modified the trigger model to have three 1/8" holes for spring pins. The idea is to cut three trigger plates out of 12 or 13g steel, then pin them together to get a nicer cut than is possible on solid 5/16 steel.

the trigger spacer goes between the trigger and the stock advancer plate: these are 20g and you need two.

the mount plate is 11g and you need to bend the flanges for the VR sensor to 90 deg with a standard punch and 1/2 V die at .729" from the end of the flange.

last thing you need is a spacer that goes between the trigger wheel and the 17mm crank nut.

oh and .33" spacers between the mount plate and crankcase.

... and a 25mm x 3mm neodymium magnet.

... and a rear kawasaki VR sensor (blue black wires) with a bit of the plastic housing shaved off to clear the wheel.

...and the M4x.7 screws from the stock setup.

I thinks that's everything! I might be able to send you the extra plates i have. Not done tinkering yet though.

How low profile are those exhaust flanges?
Attachments:

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 18 May 2020 20:30 #826058

• Saablord
  • User

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 18 May 2020 21:33 #826060

• Kawasakik1e
  • User
Sounds and looks great! I'm working on your Turbo Header......
'76 KZ900 "Workin' Man"
'00 ZRX1100 The Beast
'09 H-D XR1200 "XR8ted"

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 18 May 2020 21:36 #826061

• Kawasakik1e
  • User
The 11ga mount plate with the 90° bend ; is that a 1/2" radius bend radius? Just want to clarify.... Thanks
'76 KZ900 "Workin' Man"
'00 ZRX1100 The Beast
'09 H-D XR1200 "XR8ted"

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 20 May 2020 16:20 #826185

• les holt
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 288
Now you have my attention!!! Not easily had but, I like where you're going, I've been dwelling on using the Holley Terminator injection on a turbo build. using it on my hot rod so why have 2 separate kinds of FI!!

Les Holt
PDM

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 20 May 2020 18:00 #826192

• Saablord
  • User

Kawasakik1e wrote: The 11ga mount plate with the 90° bend ; is that a 1/2" radius bend radius? Just want to clarify.... Thanks

no, radius is much smaller (.09"), that is the bottom vdie used to make the bend in the brake press.

I will be remaking some parts for the trigger to improve the sensor signal. if you can wait, i can make you some as well. Will upload the new files as well ofc.

Now you have my attention!!! Not easily had but, I like where you're going, I've been dwelling on using the Holley Terminator injection on a turbo build. using it on my hot rod so why have 2 separate kinds of FI!!

haha ok. This ecu uses the megasquirt software so its pretty universal and not too far off from a real MS.

I finally fixed the gmail spam issue with kzrider notifications so thats nice.

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 25 May 2020 17:55 #826516

• Saablord
  • User

Got a new bike to put this motor in. A 1978 kz650B. Did a tune up on the engine (helicoil in a cam cap, yay!) and will transfer the efi setup onto this 650 motor for testing.

Also ordered a 1997 zx9r front end (stock rim with 120/70-r17 tire) and a 1985 zx600 rear end (zr7 5" rear rim w/ 160/60-r17 tire). What a rabbit hole that was.... Using the zx600 rear because its the shortest aluminum swing arm i could find, and apparently the same rear brake rotor is used on the zx600, zr7, and zr9x, so it should fit together well.

the zr7 rear wheel and zx9r front wheel are very similar with a slight difference in the angle of the spokes, and different sized bearings. I ended up with the stock zx9r wheel as the brake rotors cover up the entire rim anyways :laugh:
Attachments:

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 31 May 2020 19:14 #827047

• Saablord
  • User
Got the ECU transfered over to the 650 frame and started sorting out the map sampling issues (map reading was not stable and was causing erratic idle).

There are two solutions:
- a vacuum accumulator. Mine was a 4" long piece of 1.25" pvc with caps and 6 bungs. One for the FPR, one for the MAP, four ITBs.

-changing the ECU sampling angle and duration to better measure peak vacuum during the stroke. Using a single cylinder map sensor mode on the ECU can help as well because tying all four cylinders together can reduce vacuum (though I saw no benefit to using my accumulator on one cyl instead of all 4, though that could be due to sampling angle).

Point is: a vacuum accumulator is the quick and dirty solution that works well. Even if the sampling angle is modified and one cylinder mode can be used, an accumulator will still be necessary for the FPR and boost control.

Another factor here is that the ITBs are a tad big for this 650 engine. I may make some restrictors for the ITBs or maybe a 3/4 turn throttle control so I have more resolution.

Also, the stock single phase stator seemed to be holding up fine with my EFI system, even at low RPM... but there were no running lights. Nonetheless, these results are promising.

I am making a v2 of the crank sensor setup. A 36-2 wheel works better and I tweaked the tooth profile. I initially started v2 due to crank sensor sync and idle issues but I now know that the erratic map readings were the real issue.

I'm onto suspension swaps and bracket making now. This EFI system was proven well enough. photos.app.goo.gl/g1cRT8M86H1TGS7n7 oh and I did ride around the neighborhood with this setup. Kinda scary :unsure:
Attachments:

KZEFI 810 Turbo E85 Build 01 Jun 2020 10:09 #827068

• Saablord
  • User
Here's a tank adapter I made on a bridgeport. I wanted to use ORB fittings, but there is very little room to work with an 1/8npt and a 1/4npt is the most i could fit on there. 1/4" copper tube soldered in the 1/8 fitting to keep the breather mostly above the fuel level.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: undiablo, Kawasakik1e