Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ650 cafe-racer 31 Aug 2020 12:00 #834086

• gazzz
  • gazzz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 313
And here we go with a new shopping post. And again, all parts in it are for Kawasaki KZ650 engine, which is no wonder as engine assembling is my next big goal. As I already have a new KZ750 cylinder head, I suppose it wouldn’t be surprising that I also bought new OEM intake and exhaust valves for it. Part numbers of valves might have been superseded and sometimes it might have happened more than once. In this case I prefer to stick to the latest part number even if early part numbers are available in large and for lower price, because superseding has a reason. And the reason often is not sufficient valve resource. I have seen cylinder heads in which intake valves working surfaces had grooves while exhaust valves were completely intact or otherwise: exhaust valves had grooves while intake had none at all. I assume that in these cases less worn valves were “up to date”. So when it came to choosing between cheaper intake valves with part numbers “12004-1007” and more expensive valves with the latest part number “12004-1058” I didn’t hesitate for a long and bought valves with newer part number.

Kawasaki KZ650 cafe-racer: in progress

Kawasaki Zephyr 750 (810ccm, 4in4, spoked wheels)
Honda CB815 "Eight Fifteen" cafe-racer
Yamaha XJ "Eight Ball" cafe-racer

www.gazzz-garage.com
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ650 cafe-racer 31 Aug 2020 12:00 #834087

• gazzz
  • Sustaining Member
Situation with exhaust valves was simpler, as there is only one part number for them: 12005-1006

www.gazzz-garage.com
Attachments:

KZ650 cafe-racer 31 Aug 2020 12:01 #834089

• gazzz
  • Sustaining Member
Next parcel is from Webike (Japan). The box below has dimension as follows: 34x23x12cm

It was barbarously hacked by Ukrainian customs attached to TNT/Fedex services, but luckily for me, they only managed to disturb the air, because the box was full of it.

www.gazzz-garage.com
Attachments:

KZ650 cafe-racer 31 Aug 2020 12:02 #834090

• gazzz
  • Sustaining Member
All it’s useful content was placed in one small package hidden between air bags.

Here they are: two PMC cam chain idler sprockets. Content of parcel in comparison to box reminds me of dried peas in a child’s toy.

These PMC idler sprockets are made for bigger Z-s. However, it’s well known that sprockets placed between cylinders and cylinder head are interchangeable for Kawasaki KZ 650, 900 and 1000 models. This fact quite simplifies life for KZ650 owners. I have no real reason to replace these parts, as original sprockets are in very good condition. However, OEM cam idler sprockets have a layer of rubber between inner sleeve and crown. I have read on KZRider, this rubber has a tendency to crumble which results in separation of the sprocket crown from the inner sleeve. Knowing about issue I decided to avoid it by replacing old original idler sprockets with monolith made by PMC.

www.gazzz-garage.com
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scirocco, Mc Tavish

KZ650 cafe-racer 02 Sep 2020 12:05 #834217

• gazzz
  • Sustaining Member
It finally happened: cylinders for Kawasaki KZ650 cafe-racer project are bored, honed to fit a Wiseco K700 piston kit, glass beads blasted painted in black. It’s my third approach to cylinder block.

Original cylinders of my KZ650 engine have chipped cooling fins, so I ordered a spare cylinder from the UK. However they turned out to be of no use. It looks like someone boiled them or something like that: aluminum was all dark grey and a couple of sleeves were protruding over the upper plane. I put sleeves back and cleaned aluminum, then I gave those cylinders into the workshop for boring and honing, but sleeves just started to fall out in the process of machining.

Second cylinders were from the USA and they were in good condition. However they were wasted after importing them here by a specialized workshop that did the work of boring and honing. Wiseco K700 pistons have 39.95mm in diameter and are pretty identical. Piston-to bore clearance recommended by Wiseco is 0.05mm. and this means 64.00mm of recommended bore. Once I got cylinders from that specialized workshop I checked bores dimensions using the standard method described in every service manual. It turned out that for every bore the smallest diameter was 64.01mm while the largest diameter was 64.05mm, which is completely unacceptable.

Thus I was forced to order another cylinder block (from the same USA seller). Pretty mad situation, but seems I became used to such a turn of things. I even could find the bright side of the situation: it’s knowledge. For instance, with four cylinder blocks at hand I found out that there were three types of KZ650 cylinders even before Kawasaki changed the design of cooling fins to angular. If I find the time, I’ll shoot some photos and write the article on KZ650 cylinders.

After two wasted cylinder heads and one cylinder block (in two different specialized workshops), the mere thought about searching new workshop was like a tooth-ache for me: so much of my materials and efforts were wasted by morons. However, once I was ready to start again I intensified the search and in result I found a workshop that could bore and hone cylinders due to my specifications.

It seems I’ve got real psychological trauma after those unsuccessful approaches, because once I’ve got my cylinders back I repeated measurements four times on every bore before I became sure that everything is OK.

After measurements I cleaned the cylinder block through and out in course of preparation to glass beads blasting. It is crucial to do the work properly even if it takes a lot of time and effort: there will be no grease or sealant or resinous deposits.

Once I finished with cleaning I started to seal the cylinder block for glass beads blasting. I applied two layers of masking tape to the upper surface of cylinders and one to the lower surface and to the cam chain tensioner port.

www.gazzz-garage.com
Attachments:

KZ650 cafe-racer 02 Sep 2020 12:08 #834218

• gazzz
  • Sustaining Member
Then I made paper gaskets and PVC covers for all contact surfaces and installed them using 6mm bolts and 5mm screws (in oil channels). For the upper surface I also used PVC cover which I made for cylinder head in case to provide maximum protection on freshly machined surface.

www.gazzz-garage.com
Attachments:

KZ650 cafe-racer 02 Sep 2020 12:08 #834219

• gazzz
  • Sustaining Member
And here is yet one of my little inventions, a trick that helps to protect cylinders in the course of glass beads blasting: caps from carburetor cleaner, old inner tube cut into pieces, clamps and paper. Simple and effective.

www.gazzz-garage.com
Attachments:

KZ650 cafe-racer 02 Sep 2020 12:09 #834220

• gazzz
  • Sustaining Member
These preparations and protection measures of mine worked perfectly: all protected surfaces were completely untouched by blasting while the cylinder block was completely clean and ready for painting.

www.gazzz-garage.com
Attachments:

KZ650 cafe-racer 02 Sep 2020 12:11 #834221

• gazzz
  • Sustaining Member
This time I ordered cylinders to be painted in black (with Eastwood ceramic engine paint) and the result is stunning. This satin black is exactly what I wished for the cylinders of my project. It would be hard to wait a tad before I could put the crankcase, cylinders and cylinder head together even initially.

www.gazzz-garage.com

KZ650 cafe-racer 02 Sep 2020 12:39 #834224

• Skidmark
  • User
  • Thank you received: 260
Outstanding!
Retired gearhead
'81 KZ-750 E2
'87 Suzuki Savage 650 Street Tracker
The following user(s) said Thank You: gazzz

KZ650 cafe-racer 02 Sep 2020 14:49 #834232

• calum
  • User
  • Thank you received: 390
Once again I admire your patience and attention to detail. Very nice work!

KZ650 cafe-racer 03 Sep 2020 03:29 #834272

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899
Your refurbished parts looking better than new, amazing work!!!:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: