Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ1000P conversion. 19 Dec 2018 08:23 #795417

• Ed_in_Miami
  • User
  • Thank you received: 46
Cool looking bike. Since you're going for the clean look, probably the crashbars should go. I wouldn't recommend running it on an open exhaust for too long.
This is my build:
kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/600312-ano...rtment-build?start=0
There are many more like it, but this one is mine... news to come!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ1000P conversion. 19 Dec 2018 09:07 #795420

• Jussumguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 11
When you remove the crash bar you loose the horn mount so you have to re engineer the mount. I was going to put LED turn signals on mine but it has that fancy flasher. Does anyone know how it reacts to LEDs?
Your bike is coming along nicely, good job!

KZ1000P conversion. 20 Dec 2018 11:35 #795472

• Jimbo302
  • Jimbo302's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7

Ed_in_Miami wrote: Cool looking bike. Since you're going for the clean look, probably the crashbars should go. I wouldn't recommend running it on an open exhaust for too long.

Yeah, they likely won't fit with the new pipe. The utilitarian side of me really likes the crash bars, though.

KZ1000P conversion. 20 Dec 2018 11:37 #795473

• Jimbo302
  • User

Jussumguy wrote: When you remove the crash bar you loose the horn mount so you have to re engineer the mount. I was going to put LED turn signals on mine but it has that fancy flasher. Does anyone know how it reacts to LEDs?
Your bike is coming along nicely, good job!

This one has a frame mount horn. I had actually thought about extra driving lights being mounted on the crash bar.

Last edit: by Jimbo302.

KZ1000P conversion. 20 Dec 2018 12:55 #795474

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899

Jussumguy wrote:
I was going to put LED turn signals on mine but it has that fancy flasher. Does anyone know how it reacts to LEDs?

You need a current/load independently flasher relay

www.elektronikbox.de/blink_v2_uk.html

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jussumguy

Last edit: by Scirocco.

KZ1000P conversion. 20 Dec 2018 22:26 #795493

• Jimbo302
  • User
Better light. Its definitely a beater.
Attachments:

KZ1000P conversion. 21 Dec 2018 09:12 #795504

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269
Lookin good there Jimbo! Miami Ed, and that other guy are two great examples of converting ponches old sled! Keep putting lipstick on that pig, she will clean up nicely. :woohoo:

I like the engine parts in the dishwasher. I don't have one, but wish I did.. it would see all kinds of engine and transmission parts. :-)
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.
Attachments:

Last edit: by old_kaw.

KZ1000P conversion. 21 Dec 2018 18:12 #795522

• Jimbo302
  • User
Ha, I don't think the dishes would agree with the greasy engine parts.

KZ1000P conversion. 22 Dec 2018 09:31 #795542

• old_kaw
  • User

Jimbo302 wrote: Ha, I don't think the dishes would agree with the greasy engine parts.

LOL, You aren't supposed to put greasy parts in it silly. You need to clean stuff up a tad bit first. Like most things in life, you need to exercise some common sense on things. A trait that seems to be getting phased out of the human race gene pool. Or at least it sometimes seems to be.

If you look through Ed in Miami's apartment build, he scattered a Kz1000p in an apartment, and resurrected it into a nice bike. I did't go through the whole thread, but what I saw, he was welding, painting, polishing, etc on his balcony. He posted pics of his engine cases in the dishwasher. His bike looks great. I bet his neighbors loved it. :-) LOL
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1

Last edit: by old_kaw.

KZ1000P conversion. 22 Dec 2018 09:39 #795544

• old_kaw
  • User

Ed_in_Miami wrote: Cool looking bike. Since you're going for the clean look, probably the crashbars should go. I wouldn't recommend running it on an open exhaust for too long.

I would second this! The open pipes actually hurt performance. The stock mufflers, like the air box, are designed to flow the proper amount of exhaust gasses for optimum engine performance. Believe it or not, the engine needs a small amount of back pressure to run properly. Depending on the cam grind, and overlap it can suck in fuel / air mix, then spit it back out if the required back pressure is not there. You will find that by replacing the muffs, the bike will rev without sputtering, unless something else has been "upgraded". :woohoo:
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Attachments:

KZ1000P conversion. 23 Dec 2018 08:45 #795569

• Jimbo302
  • User

old_kaw wrote:

Jimbo302 wrote: Ha, I don't think the dishes would agree with the greasy engine parts.

LOL, You aren't supposed to put greasy parts in it silly. You need to clean stuff up a tad bit first. Like most things in life, you need to exercise some common sense on things. A trait that seems to be getting phased out of the human race gene pool. Or at least it sometimes seems to be.

If you look through Ed in Miami's apartment build, he scattered a Kz1000p in an apartment, and resurrected it into a nice bike. I did't go through the whole thread, but what I saw, he was welding, painting, polishing, etc on his balcony. He posted pics of his engine cases in the dishwasher. His bike looks great. I bet his neighbors loved it. :-) LOL

Dude, you have to learn to take a joke.

KZ1000P conversion. 23 Dec 2018 08:47 #795570

• Jimbo302
  • User

old_kaw wrote:

I would second this! The open pipes actually hurt performance. The stock mufflers, like the air box, are designed to flow the proper amount of exhaust gasses for optimum engine performance. Believe it or not, the engine needs a small amount of back pressure to run properly. Depending on the cam grind, and overlap it can suck in fuel / air mix, then spit it back out if the required back pressure is not there. You will find that by replacing the muffs, the bike will rev without sputtering, unless something else has been "upgraded". :woohoo:

Thank you for the suggestion. I am familiar, as I've had previous careers building and tuning engines as well as drag racing them.
This bike had no mufflers, when I bought it and I already have a full exhaust system for it.

Attachments:

Last edit: by Jimbo302.