Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ1000P conversion. 01 Dec 2018 10:53 #794447

• M_a_t_t
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 41

M_a_t_t wrote: Can either Jimbo302 or old_kaw measure your ground clearance for me? The exhaust on my KZ1100 bottoms out on the ramp for my lift (the whole system also looks pretty crappy) and I'm thinking about getting a delkevic to replace it.

Thanks,
Matt

Sorry, Matt.. Been busy with a project lately, combined with cold rainy weather, makes going out into my unheated tiny workshop fun times. I do remember that this exhaust doesn't have near the ground clearance that the stock exhaust has.. Probably around 6" or less. Also it did make my craftsman motorcycle jack unusable, although I normally use my center stand anyway.
IMG_20181028_141956711.jpg

I think weather will be nice today. I might get the bike out for some therapy. :-)

I don't have the stock exhaust, I believe it is a mac 4-1, it has about as much clearance to the oil pan as your picture shows. So probably similar height. If you get a chance for actual numbers I would appreciate it, otherwise I think I can imagine the ground clearance.

Thanks,
Matt
83 KZ1100A (shaft)
17 Versys X 300 abs
81 kz650h1
81 kz750e2
90 Honda CBR600F (brother's)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ1000P conversion. 01 Dec 2018 13:07 #794450

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269
Hey Matt.. I'm thinking MY actual numbers don't matter anyhow, since the height changes with the riders weight, angle of attack, and suspension. (I don't have anyone here to measure while I sit) You need to build a ramp or somehow prevent your bike exhaust from scraping.

I apologies to Jimbo for blatantly hijacking his thread. LOL
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.
Attachments:

Last edit: by old_kaw. Reason: hmmmmm

KZ1000P conversion. 01 Dec 2018 17:06 #794455

• Jimbo302
  • Jimbo302's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
No worries gents, I appreciate the discussion.

My KZ900 shifter was straight forward as well, and my brake pedal.
I just slapped them on to test fitment, they will be adjusted.

KZ1000P conversion. 02 Dec 2018 01:56 #794471

• Jimbo302
  • User
This is just a quick and dirty slap together on this bike, because I just want to ride a KZ again. It will get cleaned up down the road and I'm fine with that, but man, looking at everyones great looking bikes sure makes me jealous. Nice rides fellas.

Last edit: by Jimbo302.

KZ1000P conversion. 02 Dec 2018 08:35 #794486

• old_kaw
  • User

Jimbo302 wrote: This is just a quick and dirty slap together on this bike, because I just want to ride a KZ again. It will get cleaned up down the road and I'm fine with that, but man, looking at everyones great looking bikes sure makes me jealous. Nice rides fellas.

Keep in mind the really nice bikes have been polished and pampered for years. I think Ed has been polishing and pampering his 650 for ~40 years, since he bought it new. I bought this 81 in 2013, and was dead dead dead for many years. I already had a 81 CSR that also ran like a banshee while I scattered this bike, and before that many others that got sold off after I initially rescued them from the scrap heap. Cabin fever is a terrible thing. It's winter what else ya got to do other than troll KZR and surf the net? Might as well fix up a nice bike. :woohoo:

Well this is how it all starts. You are almost there now. Clean , paint and polish every thing then assemble a nice bike. Forget mods. Just clean and stock runs extremely strong. Mods cost money and complicate things when resurrecting a dead soldier.

The rear brake pedal was siezed in the muffler support. I had to work that one for a while.

My kitchen table again.

Next to my TV after cleaning / pressure washing and fogging the cylinders and drying the water out, it sat for a few weeks.

If you don't go through everything and make sure it's right, you will have constant problems and next to none in the reliability department.

Of course, take my advice or not, makes no difference to me. My bike starts every time and makes it home on it's own power. God will know, at least I tried. :-)
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Attachments:

Last edit: by old_kaw. Reason: hmmmmm

KZ1000P conversion. 03 Dec 2018 00:17 #794523

• Jimbo302
  • User
No doubt it take time to have them looking that good, doesn't make me any less jealous, though, ha.
Yours looks great too, oldkaw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: old_kaw

Last edit: by Jimbo302.

KZ1000P conversion. 03 Dec 2018 06:40 #794530

• old_kaw
  • User

Jimbo302 wrote: No doubt it take time to have them looking that good, doesn't make me any less jealous, though, ha.
Yours looks great too, oldkaw.

Thank you my friend. It IS a lot of work cleaning up every nut and bolt, but in the end it is all worth it. :-)

My bike is a daily rider and does not get polished up as much as some on here, but it's presentable, and always seems to draw attention and comments at the gas pumps. Nornally, it's "I had one of those years ago" and "it sure is in good shape for it's age".

It did not come like that, although was not the worst rescue I have fixed, it was close.

No keys, all the locks punched, no title, 2 flat tires flopping, turn signals busted and hanging by the wires, no registered owner info except a 2003 Il plate. It was a long journey getting it back on the road. It only had 9K mile though.. Twas a great barn find. :-)

.oh yeah.. Air box gone. lol

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Attachments:

Last edit: by old_kaw.

KZ1000P conversion. 04 Dec 2018 18:27 #794646

• Jimbo302
  • User
A few more pictures of the cleanup. During my scrubbing, I have found that some of this bike's frame was painted purple at some point. I cant help but find that humorous, having an Interesting purple past.

Attachments:

KZ1000P conversion. 04 Dec 2018 20:14 #794651

• Jimbo302
  • User
Well... the $30 universal seat I picked up isn't going to work, unless I want to get busy with a sawzall and welder.
I saw Z1enterprises has a complete replica Z1 seat, im going to order one and make it fit.

Attachments:

KZ1000P conversion. 04 Dec 2018 21:44 #794654

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
I doubt it will fit on that stepped frame. I'd check eBay for one that fits.
Steve

KZ1000P conversion. 05 Dec 2018 00:24 #794657

• Jimbo302
  • User

SWest wrote: I doubt it will fit on that stepped frame. I'd check eBay for one that fits.
Steve

I'll get out the cutting wheel if need be, just wanted a full length seat.

KZ1000P conversion. 12 Dec 2018 02:32 #794998

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
i too have suffered the aftermath of a spray bomb. I used aircraft stripper and a lot of elbow grease. I would be worried about a sandblaster getting media in places you really dont want it.