Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Kiwi KZP 03 Jan 2016 21:01 #705502

• larriken
  • larriken's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 61
Packed a paddy with having to wait for new push pull cables for the Mikuni carbs to arrive so had to make some adjustments to get things rolling again using the original KZP cables, Yes, I know, looks a bit dodgy but hey it works!

Had to lengthen the KZP cables so it was out with the solder and flux to make new cables!

I haven't done this too often so I had to have a couple of fails. This is what it looks like when you get it wrong.....

....and when it goes right. Solder nicely sucked up through the core, won't be coming off anytime soon.

Wahooo it runs and the throttle works sweet. You can't hear it in this photo but it is running, honest, and it sounds wicked!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by larriken.

Kiwi KZP 04 Jan 2016 00:31 #705503

• Bozo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Ride it like u stole it
  • Thank you received: 104
Larriken, there are a few photos under the Z1R photo group, I have written about its modifications previously.

I can't get over the quality of bikes in this forum, and love your bike, going well. To be honest you're giving me incentive to keep going with my new project GPZ1100. I'll post photos soon.
First Permanent ride the Z1R since Dec1977 (220,000km) as of June 2015
Second permanent bike 1989 FJ1200 dyno'd 140RWH, great bike.
Third ride is now the Frankenstein 1981 GPZ1100B1, getting new/ refurbished 83-84 motor soon
Forth my work bike FJ1200 1989 (same type as above)

Kiwi KZP 04 Jan 2016 06:58 #705513

• 9er rider
  • Sustaining Member
  • Keep a cool tool
  • Thank you received: 87
I would certainly like to know how to repair cable ends. what is your method?
76 kz 900 1075 76 kz 900 a4 78 kz 1000 ltd

Kiwi KZP 04 Jan 2016 08:21 #705525

• larriken
  • User

Bozo wrote: Larriken, there are a few photos under the Z1R photo group, I have written about its modifications previously.

I can't get over the quality of bikes in this forum, and love your bike, going well. To be honest you're giving me incentive to keep going with my new project GPZ1100. I'll post photos soon.

Sweet, will go and take a look. What year GPZ is your project? I have an big pile of shit A2 that I have just started fiddling with. Bought it originally for the engine but the longer it sat in the shed the more I liked it so it's on the next project list.

Kiwi KZP 04 Jan 2016 08:32 #705528

• larriken
  • User

9er rider wrote: I would certainly like to know how to repair cable ends. what is your method?

Bear in mind that I am no expert but the way I was shown is pretty straight forward. Just takes a bit of practise. I can get some pictures to go with it later in the week but basically cut the cable to length. Slide the button over the cable and then feather the end of the cable. Just enough that when you slide the button back up it will be hold in place by the feathering. Be careful not to pull the button right off as you won't get it back on without cutting off the end bit of cable...ooops yes I have done this. You need a pot of solder like the one in the photo and some flux fluid. Fill up the cap of the flux with fluid and have it sitting ready to go. Get the butane torch out and heat up the pot of solder (like the one in the photo) until it is molten. Dip the cable with the button attached into the flux, completely submerging the button. Take it out and then just touch the bottom of the button into the solder. This is the hard bit, if you leave it in too long you end up with the build up in the photo above. Once you have dipped the bottom in the solder dunk it back in the flux and repeat. After about three or four goes you will see the solder bubble up the cable and out the top of the button. When this happens jobs done! Hope that makes sense.

Kiwi KZP 04 Jan 2016 08:51 #705529

• 9er rider
  • Sustaining Member
  • Keep a cool tool
  • Thank you received: 87
what kind of solder and flux do you use?
76 kz 900 1075 76 kz 900 a4 78 kz 1000 ltd

Kiwi KZP 17 Jan 2016 20:34 #707094

• larriken
  • User
It may seem that I had either died, been abducted by aliens, but no I am still working on the KZ. Honest, I am...... Anyways, ordered up new braided front brake lines and fittings and fitted the CBR1100XX brake master cylinder. Now I have front brakes! Also fitted the the radio box tray and it also has a centre stand now too! If anyone happens to have or know of a radio box for sale please let me know.

Attachments:

Kiwi KZP 17 Jan 2016 20:35 #707095

• larriken
  • User
and the brakes.....

Attachments:

Kiwi KZP 17 Jan 2016 20:38 #707096

• larriken
  • User
Got a little side tracked sorting out my other baby for summer lol.
Attachments:

Kiwi KZP 18 Jan 2016 03:37 #707109

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
good job savng that thing from the stunters!

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

Kiwi KZP 19 Jan 2016 13:22 #707278

• Jbosh
  • User
  • 1982 Kz440 ltd D4
  • Thank you received: 5
Larriken,
I see that you have what I would assume to be the original service lights switches. Do you have any plans for blues and reds in any way? I know you have the tank badge which just looks sick but I'm curious as to how far you can go in New Zealand with this being an ex police bike or what you are planning. I'm just loving your new take on this KZP! Top notch work!
As long as I get to learn something, I'm happy!

Kiwi KZP 19 Jan 2016 18:07 #707327

• larriken
  • User

Jbosh wrote: Larriken,
I see that you have what I would assume to be the original service lights switches. Do you have any plans for blues and reds in any way? I know you have the tank badge which just looks sick but I'm curious as to how far you can go in New Zealand with this being an ex police bike or what you are planning. I'm just loving your new take on this KZP! Top notch work!

Thanks mate, appreciate the feedback. I have fitted two blue pursuit lights up the front which I am in the process of wiring up so that they alternate when switched on to pursuit or just stay on when on, I won't add anything other Police lights though. Funny thing is, you are allowed to have all the lights fitted to a vehicle in NZ but just not allowed to run them while on the road.
Attachments: