• Page:

TOPIC:

Pics: My first bike: '80 KZ750G LTD Twin. $300. 12 May 2008 02:42 #212995

• jorn
  • jorn's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • vroooooommmmm
  • Thank you received: 0
Okay, I've been looking for a bike for the last few months and finally settled on an '80 KZ750G which wasn't running. I talked the owner down $50 and loaded it up in my 'yota pickup. I think the bike has been laid over at some point. I'll elaborate on my first day working on it after I get some sleep. For now, here are a few pictures of the project "Before"...

The last owner bent the handlebars into some contortion that I really dislike. Grumble grumble.

Observant people may notice that the points cover is off. I'll talk more about why later.

Tail's in good shape.

If this is to be believed, less than 8000 original miles on this parallel twin. Pretty impressive.

Okay, i really need some sleep. More tomorrow!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by jorn.

Pics: My first bike: '80 KZ750G LTD Twin. $300. 13 May 2008 17:57 #213402

• Makarth
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Are you awake yet??? i want to know more! nice looking find btw

1977 kz1000 - Megasquirt project @ 40% wiring, plenum, and exhaust<--(done!)

Pics: My first bike: '80 KZ750G LTD Twin. $300. 20 May 2008 16:47 #214803

• jorn
  • User
  • vroooooommmmm
Holy freaking cow. I just spent like an hour making a post then accidentally hit back before posting. rawr.

I will be posting more about my bike, but right now I need to study for a final.

:angry: :( :S :unsure:

Pics: My first bike: '80 KZ750G LTD Twin. $300. 20 May 2008 17:13 #214813

• jorn
  • User
  • vroooooommmmm
Ok, I'm gonna make a shortened version of what I just typed.

Got the bike home, no fire. New battery, still no fire. Went to check the points and...

Point cover bustage. The points were pretty corroded, believe it or not. I filed them and got pretty blue fire.

New gas, and quite a bit of kicking, and she fired up! Wouldn't idle at all though. Gas was leaking out of the bowls all over the engine, so I went to check the floats. I should've taken pictures, but just imagine this: Gaping holes in 3 of the 4 float pontoons. On a carburetor that was supposedly "just rebuilt" by the previous owner. :unsure:

After a lengthy search, I found some floats at motorcyclecarbs.com. Bike still wouldn't idle, so I half-heartedly cleaned the carbs (in a hurry to get to work) and it still wouldn't idle.

Talked to wiredgeorge (where would this community be without that guy?) and he instructed me on adjusting my pilot screws. I did that and finally got the bike to where it idles and runs out great! Hallelujah!

I went on a little shopping spree. $300 bike needs some love, right? From ebay:

mirrors

National Cycle 18" windshield

Right side cover. I'm on the lookout for the left, and the tank is probably going to be going back to something like this color.

And a fork emblem, which I'm not sure whether I'm going to put on. It needs some modifications if I do, I think it's from a dirt bike.

And from JC Whitney:

Cheng Shin Barracuda tires

Chrome handgrips

Cheap superbike handlebars

Inline gas filter

And that's about it so far.

I'm on the lookout for a backrest and a set of saddlebags yet. I might put an oil cooler, performance intake and exhaust, and rejet the carbs eventually, but for now I'm kinda focusing on just getting it running and making it look purdy.

I'll put up some pics when I get all my new stuff on there.

Oh yeah, and I bought some all-purpose metal polish. My next pictures ought to really shine :woohoo:

• Page: