• Page:

TOPIC:

what do you guys think 23 Apr 2008 20:32 #208608

• Phslion
  • Phslion's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Kawasaki KZ1000 LTD '79

"Bike is disassembled, needing rebore of the cylinders. I bought an oversize piston and ring kit, that will increase the displacement to 1080cc. The kit is new and still in the box. All engine and body parts are complete. Got to the point where I'd rather sell the bike than rebuild it. Good bike when running. Shaft drive, air-cooled, single exhaust pipe, though the pipe is rusted."

$500

first email.
"The lower part of the motor is still on the frame, just the top half is disassembled. This includes the head, carburators, exhaust pipe, gas tank, and fairing."

I saw the ad in a local online paper section, its been listed for a month now. ive kinda been looking for something bigger than my 80' 440ltd. its both a pro and con that it needs work. Pro that it sounds like fun and a challenge over the summer. and a con that i dont have piles of money laying around and a complete garage filled with tools to work with. i have access to the basics tool wise. and im semi handy with tools, but im kinda hesitant to jump into a complete rebuild.

and ive yet to see it that that changes my interest alot. if its a pile of rust im pretty sure im not interested. if its pretty nice id be really tempted.

anywho any advise would be helpful.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

what do you guys think 23 Apr 2008 21:05 #208622

• jtmcculloch
  • User
A Couple of points to ponder.....

Do you want the challange of this project or do you want to ride?

There are plenty of good deals on ready to ride bikes that you could get - then improve on them.
76 KZ1075
93 ZR1100
71 Moto-guzzi 750
2001 ZR-7S

what do you guys think 23 Apr 2008 21:25 #208626

• KawiConvert
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Like you said, you don't have piles of money or the special tools. I don't know enough about this model to comment on the price, but there are better deals to be had I am sure. However, if it has been listed for a month, and everything except the engine top end checks out, and you really feel like getting up into your elbows in a project bike, then I would say to go for it (but offer less than the 500.00 out of principal if anything).

Also, make sure its paperwork is up to date before getting it.

Otherwise just keep your eyes open for a different one that isn't in need of so much work.
1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust

what do you guys think 23 Apr 2008 22:38 #208647

• Phslion
  • Phslion's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
yea your probally right. i do look forward to the challange but logistically i could be more than i want. besided i should probally wear the 440 out before i look for another. but i might still drive by this weekend.

• Page: