Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

to cafe or not to cafe...this is the question 17 Mar 2008 13:10 #200590

• motorhead
  • motorhead's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Here are some pics after I got into it a bit. I don't have a key so I have to find some other way to get power to the ingition so not sure if it will run yet. Im gonna clean it up get a batt and go through the carbs and see what happens. The internals under the covers look good. The ODO says 30000 miles. Not sure why it was parked but the last registration was 1992 so its out of the system. I dont know who the previous owner was so I have no history. I am learning that this is a rare bike for the states. I love stubbling on this stuff. I was gonna make me just a ratty cafe thingy to cruise around on till i get my Honda CL360 cafe project up and running,may still do it. I would sell the bike if the majority thinks thats the thing to do. Any body that knows about these bike Im all ears I like to learn about everything. please forgive the upside down bars I was goofing around this weekend. And am i missing some pieces on the clutch cover thats how I took it apart.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by motorhead.

to cafe or not to cafe...this is the question 17 Mar 2008 13:12 #200591

• motorhead
  • User

to cafe or not to cafe...this is the question 17 Mar 2008 13:39 #200596

• OnkelB
  • User
  • Thank you received: 80
Hi, welcome aboard. I don´t know a whole lot about the Z2 750 except it´s basically a smaller version of the Z1 900. And yes, they´re pretty rare. While she´s a bit rough and not all stock (seat, pipes and possibly paint is not original - I saw the pics in your other thread) most of the original parts seem to still be there - if I were you I´d leave her be for now and look around to see if anybody´s interested in doing a stock restoration, you might be able to make a few bucks.

Here´s how she´s supposed to look and here´s what Wiki has to say.

Btw, if I recall correctly the bottom end (cases, tranny and covers) are identical to the Z1 so I think you might be able to replace the missing parts with Z1 parts. I also think there´s some differences between Z1 and Z2 cranks, but I can´t say for sure.
77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.

Last edit: by OnkelB.

to cafe or not to cafe...this is the question 17 Mar 2008 14:19 #200601

• motorhead
  • User
I havnt cut any wires and I have what is in the first two complete pics. Everything is there except for the clutch issue. Its really starting to sound like I should sell it to someone that would restore it.

to cafe or not to cafe...this is the question 17 Mar 2008 15:41 #200615

• Locozuna
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Dude....Put it back together and sell it.
The more you mess with it the less you will get.
It belongs in the hands of a restorer.
Looking at it in the other thread and looking at it now
has depreciated it already in my eyes.
KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

to cafe or not to cafe...this is the question 17 Mar 2008 15:50 #200617

• motorhead
  • User
The main reason i took it that far was to clean under neath everything as well as i could and try to figure out the clutch problems It would take me about 30mins to put back together. I just wanted to gunk the motor and give someone a non dust filled bike when they pick it up. Like i said i have not cut torn broken or other wise defiled any part of this bike. Im gonna move it outside and wash it off then put it back together

D

to cafe or not to cafe...this is the question 18 Mar 2008 11:01 #200769

• motorhead
  • User
so which parts from what bike do i need to get for the clutch. Should i go the Z1 900 bottom end peices or what. I would like the new owner if there is one to have it. I want it so i can put it back together right. And if nobody buys it i can get it running and keep as is till someone comes along to grab it up.

thanks
Dustin

a 18 Mar 2008 11:46 #200773

• KZ250LTD
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
a
79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.

Last edit: by KZ250LTD.

to cafe or not to cafe...this is the question 18 Mar 2008 14:02 #200795

• motorhead
  • User
GUYS JEEZUS, it is what it is and it will stay that way. a moderate resto by me or a complete ground up by someone will never change what this bike is and your making the price go up everytime someone says how rare it is. Im really not trying to be a jerk here and Im just asking for a little help. I would love to hear this bike run and maybe take it around the block before someone buys it. I am not a purist but for me to cut this bike up would be like someone taking my numbers matching ss 396 chevelle and making a drag car out of it, NOT GONNA HAPPEN...BUT it is my bike for the time being and i would like to work on it. Im not gonna lose or replace any parts unless they are already missing ie SOME KIND OF CLUTCH MECHANISM. I don't know what to get and would like too. If somebody watching this thread doesnt want me to work on it and wants this bike PM me and we'll work out a deal Ill be more than happy for a someone who loves these bikes to have it. Theres someone on here already that has first dibs if he declines everyone will know it.

Dustin

Last edit: by motorhead.

to cafe or not to cafe...this is the question 18 Mar 2008 15:19 #200808

• OnkelB
  • User
  • Thank you received: 80
Dustin, what you´re missing is the clutch release mechanism (and it´s cover, but that is purely cosmetic), that is the mehanism that presses on the clutch pushrod when you pull in the clutch. I think a clutch release mech. from a Z1 or KZ 900 will work - try ebay or maybe a member here can hook you up, preferably for cheap if it turns out I´m wrong about the Z1/KZ 900 ... You may or may not also miss the clutch pushrod (no. 8 in the pic below).

Btw, the pic shows the diagram for the 73 Z1, I can´t find any info/diagrams on the Z2 at buykawasaki.com

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.
Attachments:

Last edit: by OnkelB.

to cafe or not to cafe...this is the question 18 Mar 2008 15:30 #200809

• harm
  • User
  • Tom
  • Thank you received: 13
Dustin,

I agree with you, I would get it running first. I would be very shocked if the 900 was different so i would check ebay or call Jeff at Z1 Enterprise to find a clutch mechanism. Go to Kawasaki.com and look a the parts diagram for the 900. It will give you an idea of what it looks like. Clean the carbs and get it running.

Then sell it to someone who would restore it!
Tom
Holland, MI

1980 KZ550 ELR

2011 Concours14

2017 KX450 [/color]

to cafe or not to cafe...this is the question 18 Mar 2008 17:04 #200828

• motorhead
  • User
thank you very much that is exactly what i needed. I have the cover and 90 percent of the rest i am just missing the part right behind no. 2 i cant read the number. 5 i think and the two bolts.

thank you Harm and OnkelB
Dustin

• Page: