Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

81' Kz250d Restoration Project 20 Dec 2007 22:47 #185906

• YamYam
  • YamYam's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello everyone! First I just want to say that I am so glad I found this site!:woohoo: . Anyway I am trying to get an old bike I bought from a family friend running. I just cleaned out the carb, and I am about to replace the plug, some of the fuel lines, the battery and the air filter. But I have run into a problem; my friend sold me the bike and literally moved the next day, and forgot to give me the key. The ignition part of the story has been taken care of, but the gas tank is shut and locked. So I was wondering if i could simply switch out the tank, and if so where do I get one that will fit?, if not, is there any way to get into the tank and convert the lock?. Any help with this would be very much appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

81' Kz250d Restoration Project 21 Dec 2007 04:32 #185916

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
  • Thank you received: 11
Your tank really does not have a lock, that is there are no tumblers in it. Any old key should open it up. You might try pressing down on the cap while turning it with the key. I have seen the mechanism get gunked up and stick, that happened on my 650 H-1. What I did was take a small finishing nail (since I didn't have a proper pin punch) and drive out the small roll pin that attaches it to the hinge. Once you do that the cap will come off and you will see 2 small phillips head screws, take them out and you can pull the works apart and free up and lube the works. Just be careful when you pull it apart because there are a couple of small springs that can shoot out and they are a biatch to find if they escape.

Oh and if you need to get a replacement key you can get the number off the ignition switch and contact www.key-men.com/index.html
They can cut you a new key for around $20.00

Post edited by: The Gringo, at: 2007/12/21 07:36
Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

81' Kz250d Restoration Project 21 Dec 2007 13:05 #185965

• YamYam
  • User
Thank you Gringo, you advise worked perfectly; all I had I stuck my car key in the fuel tank lock and it popped right open!

81' Kz250d Restoration Project 21 Dec 2007 13:08 #185966

• YamYam
  • User
Curses! an answer leads to another question. I was able to get the fuel tank open, now it seems there is some rust inside the tank. How can I deal with the rust, or will it be fine if I just fill it up with gas?

81' Kz250d Restoration Project 21 Dec 2007 16:31 #185986

• hardr0ck68
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
  • Thank you received: 3
only if you want to fill your carbs up with rust :P

There are many threads about rust removal and about a thousand ways to do it.... you can fill your tank up with vinegar toss in a handful of washers and shake for an hour or 5... you can coat it with navel jelly or another light acid...you can spend outrageous money on a Kream kit, there are SOOOO many ways to fix this problem.

Use the search bar and see what you can find...I bet you will find a method to your liking.

No matter how you clean the tank, make sure to run an inline filter... that will keep all the remaining crud out of your carbs.
1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

• Page: