• Page:

TOPIC:

OMG .. ALWAYS take the parts bike!!! 25 Oct 2007 17:00 #178126

• Skypilot54
  • Skypilot54's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
ALWAYS get the parts bike.

So I was tinkering with FrankenBike for the last week, messing with the carbs. For some reason, it decided it wasn't going to start. It finally fired with the air mixture screw at 1/4 turn out. It just didn't seem right, since the recommended starting point was 1-3/8 turns out. I pulled the carbs AGAIN, cleaned the carbs AGAIN, and after some reading .. I realized the choke sliders were missing the flaps. Why didn't I see this before??? So I went to the carbs that were on the parts bike. All four choke sliders had the original flappers. And .. I could change the sliders without removing the carbs. Karma was on my side today. So I changed the sliders, and BOOM, started right up. I still need to tweak it a little and balance everything out, but I'm a happy camper. I also did the coil mod (Thanks WG), and I know that is making a difference too.

I've probably spent less than $400 in new parts so far getting FrankenBike on the road. Everything else came from the part bike.

:cheer:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

OMG .. ALWAYS take the parts bike!!! 25 Oct 2007 17:49 #178132

• harm
  • User
  • Tom
  • Thank you received: 13
That is cool it worked out. Those choke plates on the 550 carbs are known for falling off and getting sucked thru the motor. You may want to make sure the ones you got off the parts bike are securely intact. 3 of the 4 were missing on my bike so i glued them shut and use the choke lever position to allow some air to come into the carbs. It seems to work pretty good:)
Tom
Holland, MI

1980 KZ550 ELR

2011 Concours14

2017 KX450 [/color]

OMG .. ALWAYS take the parts bike!!! 25 Oct 2007 21:16 #178173

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
harm wrote:

That is cool it worked out. Those choke plates on the 550 carbs are known for falling off and getting sucked thru the motor. You may want to make sure the ones you got off the parts bike are securely intact. 3 of the 4 were missing on my bike so i glued them shut and use the choke lever position to allow some air to come into the carbs. It seems to work pretty good:)

I've been wanting to try this exact thing as an experiment. Thanks for the info! Luckily, so far all of mine are intact (knock on wood).

I have a little mod you guys may have already seen. I found it helps with the warm-up process. www.geocities.com/loudgpz/GPZchokeScrewMod.html

I have the same carbs as you guys, but they are just painted black. Sorry if I've already posted this for you.

OMG .. ALWAYS take the parts bike!!! 25 Oct 2007 22:00 #178175

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 237
I don't often read the projects forum. From what I can see, projects "are" the parts bikes. I guess buy the parts bikes to fix other bikes that should for all intensive purposes have been parts bikes?
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

OMG .. ALWAYS take the parts bike!!! 26 Oct 2007 05:17 #178203

• mariozappa
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8

Those choke plates on the 550 carbs are known for falling off and getting sucked thru the motor.

How odd. My buddy's 550 has the same problem.
1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

OMG .. ALWAYS take the parts bike!!! 26 Oct 2007 08:31 #178224

• harm
  • User
  • Tom
  • Thank you received: 13
Actually, when i took the top end off my bike i could see where some of the pieces bounced around on the top of the pistons before leaving the combustion chamber:woohoo:

A couple of the rings were tight on the piston as a result of the dings.
Tom
Holland, MI

1980 KZ550 ELR

2011 Concours14

2017 KX450 [/color]

OMG .. ALWAYS take the parts bike!!! 26 Oct 2007 19:13 #178307

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
RonKZ650 wrote:

I don't often read the projects forum. From what I can see, projects "are" the parts bikes. I guess buy the parts bikes to fix other bikes that should for all intensive purposes have been parts bikes?

All four of my bikes started as parts bikes, but don't worry, at least one will be totally stock including original paint. I don't have the big bucks to throw around for an actual complete, and running bike. :P :laugh: :P

OMG .. ALWAYS take the parts bike!!! 26 Oct 2007 21:25 #178313

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
  • Thank you received: 80
I went to look at a parts bike, and brought the $300.00 limit my ATM would let me take out, just in case. I wasn't even in the market for a spare bike. Once there and after I saw whay was on it, I gave him more than he was asking for it, and picked it up that weekend. Later I found out more about this bike(with all the goodies, and only 5000 miles on the speedo. Too bad it has been sitting outside for 10 years, but the original owner had it on the track. Score, was the aftermarket reservoir Fox Shock, Telefix Fork Brace, Clip-On Bars, braided brake lines, Megacycle Slotted Cams, 615cc kit, ported head, Moriwaki Exhaust, and Yoshimura Ignition Cover. $260.00. Everything was there, and I haven't got into the front forks yet.

Always take a parts bike!!!

Post edited by: CoreyClough, at: 2007/10/27 00:26
'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

• Page: