Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Work continues on Z1R 20 Oct 2007 17:07 #177296

• Night_Train01
  • Night_Train01's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Well, I thought it was time to get back to my Z1R project, I though I would put the engine back in the frame and do a little wiring....things went really well...the motor went back in without a scratch to the new paint on the frame or the motor.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Work continues on Z1R 20 Oct 2007 18:33 #177309

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
looking good man keep us up to date with your project.B)
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

Work continues on Z1R 21 Oct 2007 09:45 #177376

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
Right on...like Mark said...lookin great,Bud!B)

More pics eh.;)
1977 KZ1000 A-1

Work continues on Z1R 24 Oct 2007 14:32 #177934

• Bad Kaw
  • User
  • Flying Squirell
  • Thank you received: 13
Looks great so far!
-KR
78 Kawasaki Z1R
81 Kawasaki KZ1000J (mods)
82 Kawasaki ELR Clone (1000 J)
82 Kawasaki KZ750R1/GPz750 ELR-ed
70 Kawasaki KV75
83 Honda CB1100F (few mods)
79 Suzuki GS1000 (rolling frame / project / junk)
84 Suzuki GS1150ES (modified project)
83 Yamaha XJ900R (project / junk)

Work continues on Z1R 24 Oct 2007 14:50 #177941

• Norseman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Looking good, Night_Train. Did you paint or powder coat the frame? And how did you get the engine back in? I'm asking because I'm doing the same - stripping down to frame and repainting everything.

I'm torn between powder coat and POR 15 paint. Some say powder coat is vulnerable to chipping and once chipped, hard to repair.

Also, how did you paint your engine? Looks sharp...

Work continues on Z1R 24 Oct 2007 15:57 #177947

• Night_Train01
  • Night_Train01's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I choose to paint the frame on this bike, I have the equipment to do my own powder coating also. The powder is much stronger but it is easier to touch up the frame if its a simple gloss black paint. For the engine I used Dupli-color low gloss heat paint, this stuff is a near perfect match for the original black paint. I was very impressed with the results.
When I took the engine out of the frame a couple months ago I was shocked by how heavy it was, it could be because I am getting older. I remember in 1984 lifting the motor out of my GS1000 with no problems at all. The Z1R motor feels like it is made of lead:laugh:
Anyway, getting the motor out of the frame is easy because you are not concerned about scratching any paint....I took my time getting it back in. I used a bike stand that is open....meaning the stand held the frame in the front and back and the center section is open. The Z1 motor sits down in the frame with the oil pan well below the frame tubes. You will need two people to carefully lift the motor into place, I first installed a mounting bolt in the back to keep the engine from moving around.....I then just made small adjustments until all the engine mounts were in place...I then tightened every.
I think I read somewhere that the engine is 250 lbs...it would be a tough job for one if you don't want to scratch your new paint.

• Page: