Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

GSXR Engine blasted/painted for KZ frame.... 21 Sep 2007 10:19 #171988

• caffcruiser
  • caffcruiser's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I think it's turning out pretty well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

GSXR Engine blasted/painted for KZ frame.... 21 Sep 2007 10:39 #171992

• The Milkman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 194
I think you may be right,, looks good,, ;) ;)
Ride safe
78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

GSXR Engine blasted/painted for KZ frame.... 21 Sep 2007 10:51 #171996

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
  • Thank you received: 50
Dude, it looks like a Monopoly playing piece!
1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

GSXR Engine blasted/painted for KZ frame.... 21 Sep 2007 11:34 #172008

• StreetfighterKz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 117
Nice finish, but are you going to add some colored bolts and such to break up the color? Came out good though.

Later, Doug
1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1976 z900 Stripfighter (work in progress)
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

GSXR Engine blasted/painted for KZ frame.... 21 Sep 2007 12:37 #172020

• caffcruiser
  • User
StreetfighterKz wrote:

Nice finish, but are you going to add some colored bolts and such to break up the color? Came out good though.

Later, Doug

I plan to add some red and black into there since the tank/seat/tail will be black and the frame will be red.

GSXR Engine blasted/painted for KZ frame.... 21 Sep 2007 14:48 #172036

• SLEEPER650
  • User
LOOKS GOOD WHAT DID YOU PAINT IT WITH? BUT YOU NEED TO GET RID OFF THE SUZUKI COVER
78 650sr my baby
78 650sr waiting for rebuild
82 kz1100
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

GSXR Engine blasted/painted for KZ frame.... 21 Sep 2007 15:02 #172037

• caffcruiser
  • User
SLEEPER650 wrote:

LOOKS GOOD WHAT DID YOU PAINT IT WITH? BUT YOU NEED TO GET RID OFF THE SUZUKI COVER

Painted it with... well... paint.

Why get rid of the suzuki cover? It's not Suzukis fault that they were the ones who started the whole modern sportbike movement. ;)

(And I KNOW someone will argue, but hey, according to the history books, the 1986 GSXR's were the first "modern sportbikes".)

Post edited by: caffcruiser, at: 2007/09/21 18:03

GSXR Engine blasted/painted for KZ frame.... 21 Sep 2007 21:49 #172120

• reborn650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
caffcruiser wrote:

SLEEPER650 wrote:

Why get rid of the suzuki cover? It's not Suzukis fault that they were the ones who started the whole modern sportbike movement. ;)

(And I KNOW someone will argue, but hey, according to the history books, the 1986 GSXR's were the first "modern sportbikes".)<br><br>Post edited by: caffcruiser, at: 2007/09/21 18:03

The '86 GSXER's were some serious performers, especially the 750 which I think came in around 377 lbs. if my memory serves me correctly.

However, I would have to say that the Honda Interceptor preceeded the GSX-Rs as the first race bike for the street.

I seem to recall it was the first street bike with a boxed aluminum frame derived from a factory race bike. The handling was more neutral and balanced than anything else from the same era and of course, the motors were very strong although they didn't last as long as Honda had hoped.

This is not from the history books, just my personal opinion and fading memory from the magazine editor comments of 25 years ago.

BTW, I had a good evening ride with an 1100 Gixxer owned by an old high school buddy a couple of weeks back. We swapped bikes for a return ride back to my place and at the first corner I musta picked up some anti-freeze off the stoplight and the arse end came out on me around 3Krpm just as I was leaning into the inside lane. Luckily I caught it as those Gixxers have some rare and expensive bodywork on them.

Those motors have lottsa torque and a really nice powerband, but my little bike seemed to be quicker up to around 30 mph as it came off the line a little harder.

Needles to say, I would love to have one and look forward to your KzGixxer when it is completed.

Cheers-Colin Firth -Ontario Canada
-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

GSXR Engine blasted/painted for KZ frame.... 23 Sep 2007 13:10 #172389

• caffcruiser
  • User
reborn650 wrote:

caffcruiser wrote:

SLEEPER650 wrote:

(And I KNOW someone will argue, but hey, according to the history books, the 1986 GSXR's were the first "modern sportbikes".)<br><br>Post edited by: caffcruiser, at: 2007/09/21 18:03

The '86 GSXER's were some serious performers, especially the 750 which I think came in around 377 lbs. if my memory serves me correctly.

However, I would have to say that the Honda Interceptor preceeded the GSX-Rs as the first race bike for the street.

I seem to recall it was the first street bike with a boxed aluminum frame derived from a factory race bike. The handling was more neutral and balanced than anything else from the same era and of course, the motors were very strong although they didn't last as long as Honda had hoped.

This is not from the history books, just my personal opinion and fading memory from the magazine editor comments of 25 years ago.

BTW, I had a good evening ride with an 1100 Gixxer owned by an old high school buddy a couple of weeks back. We swapped bikes for a return ride back to my place and at the first corner I musta picked up some anti-freeze off the stoplight and the arse end came out on me around 3Krpm just as I was leaning into the inside lane. Luckily I caught it as those Gixxers have some rare and expensive bodywork on them.

Those motors have lottsa torque and a really nice powerband, but my little bike seemed to be quicker up to around 30 mph as it came off the line a little harder.

Needles to say, I would love to have one and look forward to your KzGixxer when it is completed.

Cheers-Colin Firth -Ontario Canada

Yes, the interceptors were definitely cool rides... but they were "based on" race technology.

The GSXR was the first homologated bike.... it was quite literally the bike the team racers were riding, just barely tuned down for public purchase. Also, it was a full fairing machine, which not all of the interceptors were.

I see where you're copming from though for sure.

STREETFIGHTERKZ, you asked if I was gonna put some contrast in it?

GSXR Engine blasted/painted for KZ frame.... 23 Sep 2007 13:37 #172394

• StreetfighterKz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 117
MUCH BETTER!!! Looks good. A black oil filter will break up the front as well. Keep the pics coming on the project.

Later, Doug
1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1976 z900 Stripfighter (work in progress)
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

GSXR Engine blasted/painted for KZ frame.... 24 Sep 2007 13:25 #172588

• OutlawGPz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
The Interceptors were not based off of race technology..they were pure racing bikes from the factory. The first 3 years of their existance as the VF series were the years they did what they set out to do...dominate at ama superbike racing. The VF750 was the first true production racing bike that had street parts added to make it street legal for ama production rules..only differences between the racing bikes and the Street version are the addition of lights and a few other things to make the street version 70 lbs heavier..and the street engine was 40 hp lower then the racing one. Keep in mind the race VF put down 126 Hp in 83! Well over what these race replicas put out now..Bikes like the gixxer were a response to the Interceptor...and honda came back from them as a threat with the Hurricane and evolved the Interceptor into an all round performer...The interceptor to this day is one of the few V4 sport bikes produced..if im recalling right Aprillia is the only other maker using V4 engines...

GSXR Engine blasted/painted for KZ frame.... 24 Sep 2007 15:19 #172619

• caffcruiser
  • User
OutlawGPz wrote:

The Interceptors were not based off of race technology..they were pure racing bikes from the factory. The first 3 years of their existance as the VF series were the years they did what they set out to do...dominate at ama superbike racing. The VF750 was the first true production racing bike that had street parts added to make it street legal for ama production rules..only differences between the racing bikes and the Street version are the addition of lights and a few other things to make the street version 70 lbs heavier..and the street engine was 40 hp lower then the racing one. Keep in mind the race VF put down 126 Hp in 83! Well over what these race replicas put out now..Bikes like the gixxer were a response to the Interceptor...and honda came back from them as a threat with the Hurricane and evolved the Interceptor into an all round performer...The interceptor to this day is one of the few V4 sport bikes produced..if im recalling right Aprillia is the only other maker using V4 engines...

Like I said... just repeating what I have read.