Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Head Removal - From bad to worse 08 Sep 2007 22:26 #169515

• aacoop
  • aacoop's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I was changing the oil when I pulled the drain plug a piece of the lower front chain guide was stuk to it.. Yes!!

So I am removing the head and I break both of the 10 mm oustide end bolts. Yes!!

AND

The head is now not freeing from the cylinders around one end where the 10 mm bolts broke.. I have penetrating oil on it now..

BUT

Is there any old triks to giving the head a good jar..??

That is without busting the fins up..

:angry:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Head Removal - From bad to worse 09 Sep 2007 00:21 #169524

• brich
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I know I am going to get yelled at by someone for this but ....

I had a similar problem once where I needed to give the head a good whack. Before I say what i did I would like to insert a Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for said advice/story.

I used a rubber headed dead blow hammer. It's filled with lead shot or something. Then i took an old hammer with a wooded handle and stuck wood handle end in the exhaust port so it was touching the flange and not the fins. I had a towel in between the wood and port. Then i just whacked that sumb_tch a few times (not too hard) and moved down the line. Luckily the hammer handle was perfect fit against the port. I was careful not to damage the flange on the port.

I mean it is kind of hack but hell .. sometimes you just need to whack shit with a hammer! :woohoo: Good luck and be careful whatever you decide to do. You may want to wait for one of the more professional cats on the forum here to weight in on this one! ;)
1975 Z1 900, 1075 wiesco kit, web cams, smooth bores, dyna ignition, denco pipe, lester mags, wicked bad rotors, custom gauge face plates .. not much stock left.

Head Removal - From bad to worse 15 Sep 2007 12:22 #170737

• aacoop
  • aacoop's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
thx Brich

I got it off.. i cut the gasket away to create a little air gap.. this allowed me to get more penetrant in..

After 3 attempts it worked free..

On to the next problem

:ohmy:

• Page: