• Page:

TOPIC:

Starting 1980 F1 KZ 650 Project 04 Sep 2007 08:48 #168436

• NS Guy
  • NS Guy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi All,
From Halifax, N.S. Just starting my KZ650 project and would like to have any help/tips anyone can spare. I have checked out Z Enterprizes, Any GOod?
I have read quite a few posts and have a dizzying amount of ideas but not a real checklist or a 'vision'.

Please help counter steer me in the right direction.
I am hoping to spend no more that $3,000.
I do want to do a lot of powder coat, electrical, engine, carb rebuild.

Anyone have any strong recommendations for places to ship carbs too? I have a small hole in gas tank. Need alignment. Basically any mods you may think will be worthwhile or sensible.

Thanks for any and all advice!!!:woohoo:

farm2.static.flickr.com/1351/1322377854_383ae277f4.jpg?v=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Starting 1980 F1 KZ 650 Project 04 Sep 2007 09:08 #168440

• Bluemeanie
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
Welcome NS, everyone else will pipe in but I can safely say that Z1 Enterprises ( tinyurl.com/yrloen ) is our #1 choise for parts! As far as sending carbs out, the only choice would be Wired George Carbs, ( tinyurl.com/32ybvu ) he is a member here and has forgotten more than we will ever know! Jeff Saunders who I think is president(?) of Z1 is also a member here. There is such a wealth of knowledge here to help you build your bike. There may even be members who live close to you that can help out. Great people here, very addicting site. Stay tuned for more... again welcome, John :)

Post edited by: Bluemeanie, at: 2007/09/04 12:09
1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

Starting 1980 F1 KZ 650 Project 04 Sep 2007 09:22 #168444

• reborn650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome to another Canadian Maritimer:)

You have a few other Kz members that are in your neck of the woods and I am sure they will offer up some advice if needed.

The archives and search engine here on Kzrider are excellent and are often better than even the factory mechanic's manual as you are getting real-life advice from experienced wrenchers.

Z1 Enterprises is pretty much the preferred supplier of all things Kz here on kzrider. They can steer you in the right direction.

www.Z1enterprises.com

If you are looking for an obscure part that Z1 doesn't carrry then you might have to deal with your local Kawasaki dealership. If you are going to contact the dealership I would recommend going to the Kawasaki website and get the exact part numbers you need.

www.buykawasaki.com

You click on owner's info, motorcycles, the year and it will eventually get you to the parts diagram page. I find it helpful to cross reference bikes from the various years as many parts from the 1977 650 are interchangeable with models up in to the 80's. If the part is not available for the '77 you might get lucky with another year.

On the topic of carbs, the resident carb expert here on Kzrider.com is wiredgeorge. He has his own business rebuilding Mikuni and Keihn carbs for these old bikes. I have bought 2 sets from George and have been very satisfied.

If you are planning on re-doing the bike over the winter this would be a good time to get the carbs done by George as it often takes a couple of months given his work backlog. He will let you know approximatley how long it will take when you contact him.

I would suggest getting the carbs off the bike and taking a look before you send them to George as you might be able to deal with them yourself. But, if they need major surgery leave the job to the pros as you might spend a lot of time chasing down a carb issue that keeps you from reliable riding.

Keep us posted on your progress

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada
-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

Starting 1980 F1 KZ 650 Project 05 Sep 2007 06:34 #168656

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
Welcome NS guy.

Nice looking 650, last of the Sporty 650s. B)

There is a lot to check over on any bike of this vintage. Just go through all the general maintenance items, and replace any of the rubber parts that are a safety issue, including your tires.

All fluids should be changed as well.
All electrical items should be working. Clean and put a little di-electric grease on ALL the wire connections.

Good luck with the restoration.
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

• Page: