Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

'82 750 CSR/ '78 750 twin paint/makeover 12 Jun 2007 04:52 #148609

• Jornum1
  • Jornum1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
So I have a '78 750 twin which I am currently doing a huge GSXR front and rear swap, monoshock, custom tail, and much more.
So in the mean time I picked up a '82 csr from free! I wanted to get her running to ride for the summer, and then sell to my friend. SO I decided to strip it and make a total rebuild, with a little modifications. I am using some of the extra parts from my '78.
I will be using the '78s wheels with a rear disc conversion, and gauges. I also am adding GSXR 750 rearsets, clip ons, and a few other goodies that I have laying around.
I repainted the frame, just a nice rattle can job. I blasted the frame, prepped, primed, base and clear. I cured each step, and it seems to have come out nice.
hopefully it holds up. The color is metallic aluminum.
The tins, wheels, and engine will be a semi flat black. Should be a interesting combo.
What do you think?
before

[/img]

after

Post edited by: Jornum1, at: 2007/06/12 07:54

Post edited by: Jornum1, at: 2007/06/12 07:56

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'82 750 CSR/ '78 750 twin paint/makeover 12 Jun 2007 07:05 #148662

• cafekz750
  • User
Nice job on the frame. I have been considering the silver frame for one of my bikes (I think the CB350). My FJ frame is silver and I like the look of it. I had a '79 KZ750 twin (my first bike) and I have had a desire to get a twin again. I am anxious to see the evolution of the project.
1981 KZ750H2 - V&H 4-1 pipe, pods, jetted, clubmans, homebrew rearsets, 18" rear wheel and more.
Parting out a 1982 KZ750H3 to fund future projects
2 other non-Kawasaki motorcycles

'82 750 CSR/ '78 750 twin paint/makeover 12 Jun 2007 07:12 #148666

• Jornum1
  • User
Thanks, I will keep everyone posted. I am hoping to get the rest of the parts painted this week. I built a blast cabinet to blast parts in now. I dont want to deal with blasting in the box of a truck anymore! What a pain! Thats how I blasted the frame! I got myself a nice sinus infection from that, even with a respirator. Never again.
Anyway I hope to get the rest of the parts blasted and primed tonight.
I am also considering two 2" wide racing stripes down the fenders and tank the same color as the frame. I have not decided yet.

'82 750 CSR/ '78 750 twin paint/makeover 12 Jun 2007 07:24 #148668

• cafekz750
  • User
I like the stripe idea. I have a extra gas tank that I have been thinking about painting to match my current KZ. I was thinking gloss black with a racing stripe down the center (maybe offset). Either silver (I have the paint on the shelf) or I was thinking about red to pull the red out of the LTD badges. My sprint is the factory paint which is orange with a silver stripe down the center and I like the look of it.
1981 KZ750H2 - V&H 4-1 pipe, pods, jetted, clubmans, homebrew rearsets, 18" rear wheel and more.
Parting out a 1982 KZ750H3 to fund future projects
2 other non-Kawasaki motorcycles

'82 750 CSR/ '78 750 twin paint/makeover 12 Jun 2007 19:21 #148853

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
Jornum1 wrote:

...What do you think?

Well... I mean it looks great and I like it and all, but I cringe because I just can't keep my BLACK frame clean, how in the hell could one keep a light colored frame looking decent? :P
Come to think of it I just don't like cleaning my bike. So I have a black frame. And brown carpet in the house. :lol:

I also like your idea about the black components with the light frame. It will be like "Negative Bike"... ;)
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

'82 750 CSR/ '78 750 twin paint/makeover 12 Jun 2007 22:20 #148917

• Mark Wing
  • User
  • Thank you received: 22
Looks cool, when my frame was white people asked if it was a custom frame. I bet you get the same thing.
Mark
Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

'82 750 CSR/ '78 750 twin paint/makeover 13 Jun 2007 01:58 #148928

• Rickfabio
  • User
I like it, it's inspired me to plagerise a little:)
I think it looks great, besides, just blast her with hp water hose and she's good as new...
my problem is im prone to fires, my black frame was gunmetal:P

'82 750 CSR/ '78 750 twin paint/makeover 13 Jun 2007 04:33 #148939

• Jornum1
  • User
Thanks everyone, I have thought about the fact of keeping it clean. But I guess you have to give and take sometimes when it comes to form or function!
I dont know how much I would want to take a power washer to it though, its still a rattle can job!:unsure:
But I think I took the appropriate measures to make it last as well as a rattle can job can.
I have looked through a lot on the net and in the gallery here for paint schemes. I like a clean black and grey/silver look. I have always been a fan of Russel Mitchell's bikes. But I thought I would give it a little flare with the metallic aluminum color, but not overpower the bike. The semi flat black should tone it down so its not too flashy, but still look aggressive.
I finally got my swing arm blasted last night. These hot days have been killing me with moisture in my air lines. I have two inline filters and it still was getting clogged. So I fabbed up a homemade air cooler and that seemed to work really well.
So I should have all kinks worked out for now.
I will post pics when I get some base coat on those parts.
Jay

'82 750 CSR/ '78 750 twin paint/makeover 18 Jun 2007 19:56 #150747

• Jornum1
  • User
I have made a good amount of progress since my last post.
I Blasted my triple trees, headlight bracket, and swing arm. the are all painted too. Swing arm is the same as the frame, the others are semi-flat black.
I also layed down the primer on my engine tonight.
I am almost done with the gas tank. I primed the whole tank, then layed the silver (same as frame) down on the top. I masked off the stripes and have put 4 coats of semi-flat black on the rest. Thats where I stand right now. I will have to put at least 4 more coats to cover all that silver, maybe more.
Here are pics of the tank, first with the silver, second with the base coat. They dont look that great with the flash, I will take a pics of it in the sun tomorrow.

'82 750 CSR/ '78 750 twin paint/makeover 20 Jun 2007 13:00 #151186

• JUSTICE114
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Great progress!!! Keep the pic's comin!!!!;)

'82 750 CSR/ '78 750 twin paint/makeover 23 Jun 2007 16:05 #152151

• Powder Keg
  • User
Your bike is coming along nice. I can't wait to see how it looks finished.

'82 750 CSR/ '78 750 twin paint/makeover 03 Jul 2007 10:19 #154485

• Jornum1
  • User
Got some new progress pics. Sold some of my old parts, and bought some new ones!
I finished the tank, came out pretty nice. Still needs some more buffing and waxing, but you can get the idea of how it looks.
I bought some GSXR rear sets, painted the engine black, and got some 36mm aluminum clip ons.
I still hate the seat though, I am thinking of trying to shave it and recover it. I just dont like the seating position. I feel too close to the tank. I need to have my rear farther back, and the huge passenger section, doesnt let me. I am 6'2", so I feel kinda squished as is.
Let me know what you think.

I am also working on a custom gauge mount to make it look cleaner, and get rid of the big indicator lights.