Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

What else would YOU do to this? 06 Jun 2007 15:35 #146950

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
b]Wildh2oskier wrote:[/b]

I'd chop the hell out of it....

Whether to chop into a chopper or cafe racer is at owner's pleasure. KHI introduced the LTD factory custom largely based on perceptions of correct chopper attributes at the time. Peter Fonda's Easy Rider Captain America chopper provokes a reaction, either adored or hated. But most chicks seem to love choppers (maybe it's just the bad-boy image) to dismay of the cafe racer crowd. And part of the pleasure of ownership is others liking your bike. So when partying at Daytona Bike Week or Sturgis -- if you just don't want the aggravation of loose chicks vying for your attention, choose the cafe racer every time. As for me, if had to choose between the two, I'd rather fight them off while mounted on Wildh2oskier's ride. :woohoo:

Post edited by: Patton, at: 2007/06/06 18:40
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What else would YOU do to this? 06 Jun 2007 16:13 #146961

• ScottZ
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I'd like to see more on this thread, as I have a Spectre I've been thinking of modding. Right now it is fairly stock with a shield, KG luggage rack and saddlebags added. I really like is one though.
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_ponygal...6&func=detail&id=691

What else would YOU do to this? 07 Jun 2007 03:48 #147099

• Wildh2oskier
  • User
Patton wrote:

b]Wildh2oskier wrote:[/b]

I'd chop the hell out of it....

Whether to chop into a chopper or cafe racer is at owner's pleasure. KHI introduced the LTD factory custom largely based on perceptions of correct chopper attributes at the time. Peter Fonda's Easy Rider Captain America chopper provokes a reaction, either adored or hated. But most chicks seem to love choppers (maybe it's just the bad-boy image) to dismay of the cafe racer crowd. And part of the pleasure of ownership is others liking your bike. So when partying at Daytona Bike Week or Sturgis -- if you just don't want the aggravation of loose chicks vying for your attention, choose the cafe racer every time. As for me, if had to choose between the two, I'd rather fight them off while mounted on Wildh2oskier's ride. :woohoo:<br><br>Post edited by: Patton, at: 2007/06/06 18:40

Actually this is my ride.
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_ponygal...&func=detail&id=1123
I "borrowed" a pic of a Jaap 4 cylinder chopper from the horse online magazine.
www.thehorsebc.com/
There is an interesting artile on there by english bob about the whole chopper vs. bobber debate.
Its a good read.

What else would YOU do to this? 07 Jun 2007 11:21 #147195

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
  • Thank you received: 50
Choppers suck.
1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

What else would YOU do to this? 07 Jun 2007 14:17 #147237

• Wildh2oskier
  • User
I smell a touch of envy in your reply. Either that or a very powerful non cool gene.
The choppers on TV do suck. The tuttles just hang some different shiny doodad on the same bike and paint it a different color each week. They do suck BUT real choppers made by hand in garages and backyards are sometimes damn fine pieces of work.
As with everything else the yuppies with unlimited money have screwed it up.

What else would YOU do to this? 08 Jun 2007 01:44 #147396

• guitargeek
  • User
Haha, no envy.

None whatsoever.

I prefer function over form, substance over style. A motorcycle should be able to stop and turn and keep it's composure over bumps in the road, not just go fast in a straight line.

I just don't believe in hobbling a motorcycle.
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

What else would YOU do to this? 08 Jun 2007 03:43 #147399

• Wildh2oskier
  • User
So building a dragster from a streetbike is hobbling a motorcycle? I mean you are doing away with its natural abiity to turn quickly. Adding a windshield and saddle bags to turn an around town runner into a more comfortable cross country ride is hobbling a motorcycle since it does water down the performance.
Motorcycles are improved on in order to make it more to the owners liking. And the the things you would add or remove from your bike are probably the absolute wrong things to add or remove ..... in other peoples opinions.
What have you done to your bike? According to your logic you shouldhave done absolutely nothing to it. Anything other than washing and waxing it has messed with some aspect of a designed performance function in some way. Hence you have screwed it up (your logic not mine)

What else would YOU do to this? 08 Jun 2007 15:59 #147624

• guitargeek
  • User
A drag bike is specialized for a purpose, it's adapted to perform for that particular environment.

Adding a windshield and bags is another of example of adapting a bike to function better at a particular task.

What's a chopper good for? What's it's specific function? Posing. Looking "cool". Impressing other chopper owners.

What's a chopper's natural environment? Sitting in front of a bar.
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

What else would YOU do to this? 08 Jun 2007 16:22 #147629

• slickware
  • slickware's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • My bike is as old as I am
  • Thank you received: 2
Well that makes me feel better. Whether or not I'm improving performance (I'm not), I am certainly improving this bike's function, for me, with the crash bars, windshield, and luggage.

One of my friends recently recommended that I name her "Fatty".

~A

1982 KZ1100 Spectre
Old. Shiny.

What else would YOU do to this? 08 Jun 2007 16:22 #147630

• kzwolfsr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
Will you 2 be quiet. Well Slick, it looks like your bike has survived the ordeal and someone has taken you windscreen for you. I wouldn't get another that looks like it, that thing was ugly. I would just get some saddlebags and leave it be. If you must go with a wind screen get one of those ones with a flat screen or a small buell type wind screen
1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

What else would YOU do to this? 08 Jun 2007 16:31 #147633

• slickware
  • slickware's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • My bike is as old as I am
  • Thank you received: 2
haha... I went with a much smaller one, without the handgrip-wings on the sides. Not a cafe-racer style though. Tinted. 15 inches instead of 21 like the last.
I had saddlebags on my last bike, but I think I'm going to stick with my little tail-bag since it's easily removed when I take a passenger.

new windshield (stock image)

1982 KZ1100 Spectre
Old. Shiny.

What else would YOU do to this? 09 Jun 2007 01:27 #147729

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
guitargeek wrote:

...What's a chopper good for? What's it's specific function? Posing. Looking "cool"....

Does this count? :P

Oh Yeah Baby!
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD