Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Intro to my insanity - 76 KZ900 LTD 29 Mar 2007 21:17 #124805

• bigbadwolf76
  • bigbadwolf76's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Hey all! Here's the 411 I promised on my bike. Last year, around the time of my 30th birthday, I was in my local bikeshop and was asking about salvage parts and any possible project bikes they might have. Since I've been in school, I've bought a few non-working bikes, fixed them and sold them for money. Beats flipping burgers. Anyway... the guy working at the shop introduced me to another customer who was a regular there at the shop. He was a jolly older gentleman (picture Santa Claus, minus the beard) and he told me he had a Kawasaki that he wanted to sell. After talking a bit, it came up that I was in school studying to be an aircraft mechanic. His demeanor changed and he told me instead of selling the bike, he'd just give it to me if I'd come pick it up! OF COURSE! Well, it turned out he owned a cropdusting service, and the bike was at his private airport! Not only that, but his airport is the original home of the CAF! I was a CAF nut as a boy growing up; they used to be based in Harlingen. I had recently been studying the early history of the CAF and the people involved, so it was a real treat to be able to visit the site of it's birth.

ANYWAY... the bike turned out to be a Kawasaki KZ900 LTD. I'm a bit embarrased to admit it, but I was not familiar with Kawasaki's. All the bikes I'd ever owned were Hondas. He had aquired the bike as a trade for some money owed and never rode it, because it was not anywhere close to running condition and he didn't want to invest in it. I could understand why! After I got it to the workshop, I began to dismantle the windjammer fairing and cb radio system. The next day I pressure washed it and began my inspection. I discovered it was a 76 model, and was last registered in 1978! Only has 14k miles on it too. All the rubber was trash, the gas tank only had minor rust, and the engine had excellent compression! That's a funny story in itself... I had taken the spark plugs out to pour in some ATF in the cylinders, and I thought I'd use the kickstand to turn the engine through a bit by hand. I thought if I did it slow enough, the ATF would stay in the cylinders. Instead, ATF went FLYING out the spark plug holes, covering everything in a 15 foot radius with red goo, including some very valuable turbine engines. OOPS! After cleaning that mess up, I moved the bike to my house. :P

Here are some pictures of the bike as I got it. Obviously, I've got alot of media blasting, polishing, painting, and "elbow-greasing" to do before she'll be socially presentable. For now, I'm just getting it running and roadworthy and cleaning her so I can get in some riding time again. Once I finish school and start working full time, I'm going to do a full blown restoration/rebuild that will even give ambergrismoon a run for his money. ;) I've fallen in love with Kawasaki's quality of manufacture, design, and their manuals. And it's the only motorcycle anyone has given me, it's the same age of me, and it came from an aviation mecca! So, I plan on keeping the bike forever.

Now, my apologies to my brethen with short attention spans... here are the pictures! www.flickr.com/photos/bigbadwolf76/

Comments and suggestions are VERY welcome! I could use some encouragement, since today I finally got into the carbs, and it's almost hopeless! 30 years of goo!
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Intro to my insanity - 76 KZ900 LTD 29 Mar 2007 21:23 #124806

• wireman
  • Visitor
yes that is definately a 76 900 ltd,cant beat that price!now comes the fun stuff!:P

Intro to my insanity - 76 KZ900 LTD 29 Mar 2007 21:45 #124810

• bigbadwolf76
  • User
That's exactly right! I was thinking about "wiredgeorge" (that's you right?) while I was tearing apart my carbs today. They might be in your hands soon. :-D

Intro to my insanity - 76 KZ900 LTD 29 Mar 2007 21:53 #124812

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
bigbadwolf76 wrote:

That's exactly right! I was thinking about "wiredgeorge" (that's you right?) while I was tearing apart my carbs today. They might be in your hands soon. :-D

Well, you got the "Wired" part right.

Wrong dOOd!

Nice pick for the money ;) - and nice guy you got her from - dig those 'ole Bushwhackers...
Attachments:

Intro to my insanity - 76 KZ900 LTD 29 Mar 2007 21:53 #124813

• wireman
  • Visitor
nope wrong guy WIREMAN:P wired george pops in from time to time and has a website listed in the link section.oh yeah,we need to change your avatar to big bad wolf in training it takes a lot of motor to be the big wolf around here!:evil: :P welcome to z-jungle

Intro to my insanity - 76 KZ900 LTD 29 Mar 2007 22:40 #124824

• bigbadwolf76
  • User
Hahaha! How very newb-ish of me!

So u gonna fix my carbs, or what? :evil:

Intro to my insanity - 76 KZ900 LTD 29 Mar 2007 22:50 #124826

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
bigbadwolf76 wrote:

Hahaha! How very newb-ish of me!

So u gonna fix my carbs, or what? :evil:

Sure he will...

:huh: :blink: :unsure: :dry: :ohmy: :pinch:

He's got his special carb adjustment tool all ready for 'em! :whistle:
Attachments:

Intro to my insanity - 76 KZ900 LTD 29 Mar 2007 23:42 #124831

• bigbadwolf76
  • User
Hey! Didn't I see you working in a Harley dealership?!

You people are WARPED! I LOVE IT! hahahah!!! :woohoo:

Intro to my insanity - 76 KZ900 LTD 30 Mar 2007 04:02 #124834

• AR15Ron
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
bigbadwolf76 wrote:

Hey! Didn't I see you working in a Harley dealership?!

You people are WARPED! I LOVE IT! hahahah!!! :woohoo:

He had a different toolbox then.

Post edited by: AR15Ron, at: 2007/03/30 07:04

Intro to my insanity - 76 KZ900 LTD 30 Mar 2007 04:53 #124845

• indykaw77
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Well well.......you got a start to a GREAT project there, and for a GREAT price, too! Keep the pics coming!!!
Kawasaki Motorcycles...because cars lean th wrong way!

Intro to my insanity - 76 KZ900 LTD 30 Mar 2007 06:14 #124859

• Wirewulf
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
hey bigbadwolf76, what's the CAF? Is that the Commemerative Air Force, formerly Confederate Air Force. I fixed a computer for one of the pilots a few years ago and he traded me a ride in their B17! Way cool.B) B)

Intro to my insanity - 76 KZ900 LTD 30 Mar 2007 06:56 #124870

• ltdrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
bigbadwolf76:
Looks like your LTD is almost 100% original, right down to the Goodyear Eagle tires. Too bad they'll have to be replaced. The only original part that's missing (that I can see) is the grab rail behind the seat, replaced by the luggage rack. Ask the PO if he still has it somewhere.
The Jardine exhaust pipes are rare, and worth restoring. You're definitely going to need to find a plating shop that can do decorative chrome.
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

• Page: