Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Thinking of blackening out my motor! 07 Feb 2007 13:50 #110831

• 80KZ750man
  • 80KZ750man's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm considering having my motor painted Flat Black to give the Black out apperance, My bike when purchased sat for 3 years and developed alot of oxydation on the motor. I've steal whooled it with Ajax, used Mothers Aluminum & metal polish and It still shows signs of oxydation.... What should I DO?, Give suggestions.

Soldier-4-God-church.tripod.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Thinking of blackening out my motor! 07 Feb 2007 14:14 #110837

• 77Davo650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Sand it down with low grit paper first and then move on up using higher grit papers. My valve cover was so badly oxidized I finally took the dremel to it with the sanding wheel and also a few sheets of 80 grit paper starting out and sanded at it for a good two hours to get it where I could finally start to polish it down. It sucked at the time, but now it looks better.

Post edited by: 77Davo650, at: 2007/02/07 17:15
77 KZ650 C1 (sold)
78 KZ650 B2 (sold)
78 KZ400 B1 (sold)
78 kz400 C1 (resto-mod)
78 kz400 C1 (hardtail low chop)
couple of possible project kz's in parts

Thinking of blackening out my motor! 07 Feb 2007 14:16 #110839

• wireman
  • Visitor
try some of that spray on mag wheel cleaner then rinse it off and start rubbing!;)

Thinking of blackening out my motor! 08 Feb 2007 02:14 #110930

• godpoppa34
  • User
My buddy had got my motor out right now and I had the same prob. on the KZ 750. Nothing was working except the wire wheel on the grinder but it wanted to etch it too bad. He ended up using a small sandblaster and it worked like a champ. It can be easily polished now, but I am going to black mine. A few tips if you use a sandblaster. Keep pressure as low as possible to do the job, if motor is assembled, use caution around gasket areas, make sure carb intakes and exhaust outlets are sealed tightly...spray paint lids cut down make a great seal when tightened down. Good luck! By the way, my buddy spent 2 hours working on one cover by hand, finished the whole thing with the sandblaster in an hour.

Thinking of blackening out my motor! 08 Feb 2007 06:16 #110942

• dnestell
  • User
do you want to have it powdercoated or are you looking for a cheaper option. i used pj1 engine paint on mine and it is rock solid. the paint is epoxy based and really chip resistant. i painted everything except the covers on the engine. i am planning on sanding off the paint on the tips of the fins to give it a little more polished look. but pj1 is a good choice if you are looking to black out your engine, it comes in semi gloss(flat) black and wrinkle black.

Thinking of blackening out my motor! 08 Feb 2007 07:30 #110959

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I have repainted engines in the past. First thing that should be noted is that if you don't disassemble the engine, some parts will retain their finish much better than others. The reason is that engine heat will cure hi-temp paint on the cylinder head and block but not the cases, case covers or valve cover. The paint in those locations will not stay on very well. Take the engine apart if you want to paint it yourself and bake the parts to cure the hi-temp paint. A better alternative is to powder coat the engine. Since you have it apart, take it to a reputable powder shop and let them blast the engine, dip it in a parts cleaner then powder-coat. I think a wrinkle finish in matte or semi-gloss will hold up best.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Thinking of blackening out my motor! 08 Feb 2007 08:05 #110969

• Nevco48
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Or, if you are on a low budget, you could pressure wash the engine, then paint it with BBQ grill paint from the local hardware store. Mine came out looking OK, but I can't attest to how well it will hold up in the long run...
Attachments:

Thinking of blackening out my motor! 08 Feb 2007 16:05 #111056

• 80KZ750man
  • 80KZ750man's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
I purchased some Grill 1500 degree paint @ Walmart for $4.50 a can I bought 2 cans thought I'd try it out and see what it turns out like if it turns out crappy then I will brake doen the motor and have it done professianaly.....

• Page: