Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Potential kz440 restoration project 11 Jan 2007 17:29 #105041

• TwoSeven
  • TwoSeven's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Ok, my machine is getting close to the 40,000km mark and in the nearly 15 years I have owned it has never really had anything done to it (other than the consumables such as oil, brake fluid, pads - might even have had chain and sprockets once).

I'm thinking that it may be time to restore it - but rather than back to original I'd like to replace the parts that tend to annoy me with more modern(ish) bits.

First thing is I'd like to put on a 440LTD style of seat so am wondering if they would fit (probably the 440LTD riser bars as well).

What other parts from later model KZs would firt. My zorsts lost their baffles last year so ideally would like to replace them, and the carbs are pretty decrepid as well and I'd like to chrome em (i'd like to remove the airbox and re-tuning the carbs isnt hard).

I would also like to replace the clocks, lights and electrics with perhaps some harley style bits (something shiny and less obtrusive) - has anyone any thoughts on this.

The project probably wont start til the end of the year, but I have some quiet time now to start planning it all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

---- 11 Jan 2007 17:41 #105046

• H1Vindicator
  • User
  • Thank you received: 45
----

Last edit: by H1Vindicator.

Potential kz440 restoration project 12 Jan 2007 08:09 #105161

• pyxen
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
man..those are definitely beautiful.

:whistle:
84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

Potential kz440 restoration project 12 Jan 2007 13:52 #105219

• Robjb84
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
You want to re-style as an LTD?? Just so happens im trying to make my bike look as UN-LTD as possible :D

I have the monkey bars off, want to get rid of my mag wheels and get spokes, probably going to remove/replace/modify my seat...

You are nuts! :P

Potential kz440 restoration project 12 Jan 2007 18:39 #105292

• pyxen
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
yeah - I'm moving as far from LTD as I can as well (without buying front/rear ends of other bikes)..I'll post up some pics of what I've been doing soon, once I settle on a look.

Post edited by: pyxen, at: 2007/01/12 21:39
84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

Potential kz440 restoration project 13 Jan 2007 02:02 #105323

• TwoSeven
  • TwoSeven's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Robjb84 wrote:

You want to re-style as an LTD?? Just so happens im trying to make my bike look as UN-LTD as possible :D

lol - not really, I use the bike every day for commuting and it aint compfy with the current seat especially on trips more than 200-300 miles.

My main objective is to modernise the bike, but make it look as though it hasnt been changed so it keeps its orginial design.

I do prefer nickel coating over chrome tho - thats an idea for the carbs - more of a matt texture finish.

Post edited by: TwoSeven, at: 2007/01/13 05:03

• Page: