• Page:

TOPIC:

Glad to Be Here 18 Nov 2006 05:37 #92920

• DagoTrojan
  • DagoTrojan's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Greetings to all you fellow KZ riders.

I'm the proud new owner of an '81 55 Ltd., bought at auction a month ago for $450. Only 5800 miles! Pretty good shape expect for some rust on the headers.

This is my first street bike in 25 years, so I'm looking to get my street chops back. Then I'll get something that's a bit more highway capable.

Yesterday, spent an hour-and-a-half at the MVA (DMV for you non-Marylanders) to get my class M added to my license (took the MSF course a couple of weeks ago) and get some tags for the bike. Finally got it on the road for a quick ride around the block... tons 'o fun.

I'll be posting a couple of Qs on the technical side to deal with some minor issues.

Great site!

Greg aka Dago Trojan
'81 Kawasaki KZ 500 LTD
'04 Honda CRF230
'73 Hodaka "Dirt Squirt" (Project Bike)
+ dirt bikes for wife and kid

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Glad to Be Here 18 Nov 2006 06:21 #92929

• ambergrismooon
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 2
d00d! I had a 550 ltd that I loved and it was surely a capable highway machine. Like you said tons-0-fun! I'm a really big d00d otherwise that and a couple of health issues and I'd still have it! Enjoy that great scoot for a while....the gas prices are gonna start going up again soon and then you'll really appreciate it!:woohoo:

Glad to Be Here 18 Nov 2006 07:05 #92936

• DagoTrojan
  • DagoTrojan's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the quick post. Yeah, I'm looking to keep it for awhile and get it real nice and clean. I'll keep it basically stock. It's also the right size for my wife so if she wants to ride...

Here's a photo...

DagoTrojan
So. Maryland
Attachments:

Glad to Be Here 18 Nov 2006 08:32 #92948

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
The 550 is a great machine. My bud has one just like yours. He has no problem jumping on the highway and taking 3-4 day tours around the central US.

Be sure to get a manual and go through all the maintenance checks. Old bikes like a little attention!:lol:
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Glad to Be Here 18 Nov 2006 08:38 #92950

• Grebnaws Inc.
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Congrats on your new bike! I'm still riding my kz550 in the freezing weather to work and back, and have taken it on the highway a few times. Mine tops out at 85 with my skinny butt on it but it's pretty stable, though a windscreen could be a huge improvement.

I'm just a little long the arm and leg for the bike to be really comfortable, so I'll change the bars over the winter, or try to trade this bike for something bigger in the spring.

Glad to Be Here 18 Nov 2006 09:58 #92961

• pumps
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Welcome to you, my friend! Nice looking scoot. The price was right and that leaves you money in your pocket for mods!I hope you have as much fun on yours as I do on mine.
Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

Glad to Be Here 18 Nov 2006 10:09 #92963

• oldcoldankles
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Welcome - great looking bike, and really low mileage too DT. They're very economical and great fun to ride. I found that highway passing is best done by dropping down from 6th to 5th to get up into the power band. Then, as it winds out, if you're riding with a group, you have to be careful you don't ram the rider ahead of you if they're riding a big twin:laugh:
Peachland BC
1981 KZ1000 CSR M1
1983 KZ550 LTD M1 (Shaft)
1989 Corvette coupe

• Page: