• Page:

TOPIC:

KZ440 81 Pick-up coil /Pulsing Coil issue 26 Feb 2024 20:03 #895643

• jssecenas55
  • jssecenas55's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Good evening everyone 
This is my fist post and I'm hoping someone can help me to figure out what's wrong with my motorcycle.
I'm currently restoring a 1981 KZ440D LTD and apparently I'm having some issues with my ignition system. 
The motorcycle starts right away, idles, runs and rides perfect. But as soon as it reaches a hot temperature it stalls.
She is getting fuel but when hot I don't get spark. I had replaced: Key Ignition switch, Starter switch, Ignition Coil, Spark plugs wires and boots, Spark Plugs. 
I cleaned and lubricated the Timing Advancer (In good shape) and installed following the service manual. Cleaned leads in IC Igniter and tested using a Ohmmeter(All readings in manufacture parameters).
Here is where things get strange: I tested my pick up coil resistance, when cold and tested 460 ohms (good) but when hot I got no reading. I purchased OEM 
pick up coil (Very pricey) part number 59026-1010 (same as the one in my bike). Checked the part with ohmmeter and tested good. After Installed it she didn't wanted to start. I tried a couple times but I stopped as soon as I got a very loud backfire. Checked if I had spark and spark was there. It looked like and sounded like the timing was off. I removed the new coil, put the old one back and she started with no problem.
I attached some pictures of the old and new pickup coils.
Any ideas of what can be potentially wrong?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by jssecenas55.

KZ440 81 Pick-up coil /Pulsing Coil issue 28 Feb 2024 13:07 #895711

• F64
  • User
  • 81-KZ440D2
  • Thank you received: 353
Grab a timing light and see where the mark is when cranking with the new pickup coil.
Then compare to the old pickup coil's firing mark on startup.

Turn the petcock off and keep the plugs in cylinder to prevent a fire.
81-KZ440-D2.
Louis Dudzik's GM HEI ignitor conversion installed 2015 s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html
Motogadget m-unit blue installed 2017.
LIC, NY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: