Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Carburetor problem 01 Sep 2019 15:43 #810195

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1905
102,5 main and 15 pilots jets are a way too lean!!! 115 main and 17,5 Pilot jets are a good starting Point for me on a VM 26 carb.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Scirocco.

Carburetor problem 01 Sep 2019 20:39 #810206

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1033

Danny Millhorn wrote: My friend doesn't remember the rebuilders name, but what came out of the rebuilt carbs are Mains 102.5 Pilots 15 needles, 5cn7, I don't know if that is what came out of them originally or not hence the mystery. It does start now, but I need to replace the intake boots and would like to get the internals right too. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

Based on those internals I think your carbs came from a late '78 model. The clincher would be the needle jets. They would be O3 jets from late '78. Is your cutaway 2.0 mm?

These carbs were the last ones before KHI switched back to 28 mm with accelerator pumps. If you rebuild them to original spec your bike will probably bog out as you come off idle.

If you decide to keep them and rebuild them your best alternative would be the '76 internals. The cutaway will be different but that shouldn't be a big issue. If it were me I would find a set of '75 carbs and bring your bike back to stock.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Last edit: by hardrockminer.

Carburetor problem 01 Sep 2019 21:54 #810208

• kevski
  • User
  • Thank you received: 154
Those are stock jets, and are more than adequate, if you are running a stock air filter system and aftermarket exhaust you could change the main jets to 107.5 and pilots to 20, this is what mine runs and runs perfect, these will pretty much be the best carbs of the whole bunch, they are much more stable than the 28's, much cheaper than new carbs.

Carburetor problem 31 Mar 2020 20:29 #822346

• Danny Millhorn
  • Danny Millhorn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm back at it after knee surgery in December and still having carb problems. If I were to go back stock to VM28ss carbs, where can find some good ones that are not mixed match junk?