Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Hello from PA! 02 Feb 2019 08:12 #798066

• Cabbagio Redentor
  • Cabbagio Redentor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 5
Hello, I am Christian, I am a 21 YO college kid. I recently bought my first bike, a 1980 kz650 LTD in rough but running shape (no charging system) for $750. 30,000 miles on odo. I've had minibikes and go-karts and that sort of thing, but this is a step more complicated so I will probably need help with it.

Ive fixed the charging system (I'm majoring in electrical engineering), but I need to fix a tach oil leak, finish tracking down stock airbox parts, touch up the paint on the frame, put that airbox on, and get her running well.

Heres some pictures of her after I spent a week in my basement cleaning her. Theres a lot of cosmetic things Id like to tackle (rusting, torn seat, damaged levers) but Id like to get everything working before I send more money down that hole.
'80 kz650 LTD - Candy Red B A B Y

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Cabbagio Redentor.

Hello from PA! 02 Feb 2019 08:32 #798068

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 648
Hi Christian, welcome and the bike looks to be in pretty good condition. Well worth spending on to get her great. Im guessing the tacho leak is from the cable head joint? Simple fix just needs a new o ring on the tacho drive shaft. Suggest you download a workshop manual from this site to see what I mean.

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

Hello from PA! 02 Feb 2019 08:46 #798071

• Cabbagio Redentor
  • Sustaining Member
I was surprised by how good it started to look after a good cleaning. Everything was covered in a a thick coat of grime, which may have protected it. That header that crosses under the others was a massive pain to clean.

Hello from PA! 02 Feb 2019 10:53 #798075

• Dragbike_Mike
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 103
Hey Christian -

Welcome! I'm also a new member here and am also from PA (Allentown area). Looks like a nice project that you've got going there and nice of you to do this for your dad.

Perhaps a forum member might have your missing airbox parts. If not, here's two possible sources, both in southeast PA, if that helps:

West Enterprises Cycle Shack, Bechtelsville, PA (610) 754-7245. The owner, Don, and his son used to drag race a rather quick KZ650 back in the day. Don might have what you need in his inventory of stuff.

Larry's Cycle Salvage, Richlandtown, PA (215) 536-6958. These guys have a bunch of Japanese bikes that they've parted out over the years. The owner, Adam, and his late father, Larry (R.I.P.) have quite a history in the world of flat track racing.

Hope this helps.

Mike
Presently - 1980 KZ1000B4 LTD w/mild ported head, Megacycle cams, 1015cc Wiseco, Falicon Supercrank, R&D undercut trans
In a former life - KZ-based dragbike - CrMo car tire chassis, 1395cc, Hahn Racecraft turbo system, VP C16, Orient Express 3-spd auto, 7.80's @ 165-170.

Hello from PA! 02 Feb 2019 16:16 #798083

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 372
Welcome.
Nice 650 LTD you've found yourself.
An E model I believe?
One year only model, although there should be a lot of shared parts with other models.

Here's an air box that may work for you.
Made for a Z1, but I have seen one mounted on a KZ650 D model.
Just noticed, those do not look like stock 650 carbs.

www.z1enterprises.com/airbox-z1.html

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Last edit: by rstnick.

Hello from PA! 03 Feb 2019 08:25 #798117

• Cabbagio Redentor
  • Sustaining Member
Yes, its an E.
I've bought an airbox with hoses, and the cap off ebay. The hoses are pretty hard though, I am going to see if i can soften them up with a methyl salicylate + rubbing alcohol soak.

www.oemmotorparts.com/oem5.asp?M=kawasak...%20%20_AIR%20CLEANER

In this diagram, I'm still missing pieces 7,8 and 9, although I have no intention of connecting the airbox to the valves, so I shouldn't need 9, but should instead fill the hole.

• Page: