Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Just picked up a "Frankensaki" KZ (400, 650,1000) and I want to... 15 Jan 2019 18:05 #796848

• 80 Grit
  • 80 Grit's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
attempt get it back to looking like a KZ instead of a "bobber"/sportster. I picked it up from a friend of a friend. He built it in 2003. The ride home was bumpy considering that he lowered it by eliminating the rear shocks. The first order of business is to replace the current custom hardtail struts (10.5" eye to eye).

There is oil leaking from the valve cover top left corner. He gave me a new gasket and my buddy is going to stop by in the near future to check my valves and replace the gasket. I have limited mechanical ability so I am glad he offered and I look forward to gaining knowledge from this awesome website. The previous owner said he used a KZ 400 front end to lighten her up. The frame is a 1978 KZ 650 and the motor is a 1982 KZ 1000. It looks like he did some frame mods when mating that peanut tank and I really want to put a KZ tank on it if possible...If need be I can modify it to work. I'm not sure which KZ tank would be best. I am no expert on these gorgeous bikes. My history with them is when I was a teen I was a hang around for a gent who was the head mechanic at a dealership in Jersey. His name was Ed Dorman (team "stormin Dormin) if memory serves me correct. He raced against Terry Vance back in the day and he built some insane KZ's. Personally I owned a bunch of Kawasakis from 16 to 20. First was an AR 80. Basically Kawasakis answer to the Honda MB5 and this thing was insane fast! Next was a Gpz 550. Then a Ninja 900. Then finally a 750 turbo (1984 first year). That thing was a ballistic missle! Recently I sullied my heritage, lol, with a Suzuki 750 Katana and a few ASPT v twin pro streets (one with a ballsy 96" motor with edlebrock heads built buy total performance in CT. The other a 100" rev tech.

Any and all advice and direction on this new project of mine will be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Joe (aka 80 Grit)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by 80 Grit.

Just picked up a "Frankensaki" KZ (400, 650,1000) and I want to... 16 Jan 2019 03:27 #796863

• riturbo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 276
Welcome B)
Gpz 750 turbo The one I ride
Gpz 750 turbo Not finished
Gpz 750 turbo Not started
Gpz 550 1981
Gpz 550 1983
Bunch of other junk

Just picked up a "Frankensaki" KZ (400, 650,1000) and I want to... 16 Jan 2019 07:51 #796871

• 80 Grit
  • User
thank you. I see you ride a turbo. I had some great memories on mine. To this day it is the best bike I ever owned. I try to explain to people how that "lcd" fan boost gauge would look when engaged! Thanks for the welcome.

Just picked up a "Frankensaki" KZ (400, 650,1000) and I want to... 16 Jan 2019 11:46 #796887

• Dragbike_Mike
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 103
Welcome 80 Grit! I'm also a new member here. Lots of good info and knowledgable people. Regarding the Frankensaki - I'd say try to get it running as best as possible as it sits now. Once you know where you stand, then you can plot your strategy. You don't want to throw good money after bad...

And, Ed Dorman is the real deal, for sure. Last time that I crossed paths with him (2000 or 2001?) it was at Island Dragway in Great Meadows, NJ. I think that he had his own shop at that time. Ed was there for a test & tune day with a customer's rather nasty GS street/strip bike, as I recall. Don't know what he might be up to now.

Mike
Presently - 1980 KZ1000B4 LTD w/mild ported head, Megacycle cams, 1015cc Wiseco, Falicon Supercrank, R&D undercut trans
In a former life - KZ-based dragbike - CrMo car tire chassis, 1395cc, Hahn Racecraft turbo system, VP C16, Orient Express 3-spd auto, 7.80's @ 165-170.

Just picked up a "Frankensaki" KZ (400, 650,1000) and I want to... 16 Jan 2019 16:26 #796906

• 80 Grit
  • User
Mike, Soon I will be getting a compression test done, and having the valves and carb looked at. In addition to my friend, today another friend told me about his friend who happens to own a Japanese bike repair shop in town. Been at it here for many decades and is good and affordable. So I might end up just taking it to him for the preliminary. I hung around Ed's garage in 1982, 83. I hope he is doing well.

I found a tank online that is only 60 bucks but I'm not sure if it will fit the 650 frame. The seller says it will but...I will post a picture of it to see what others think. It is the style of KZ tank that I always liked best, but I'm open to other tanks that will work. I also located a bunch of seats for under 80 bucks.

• Page: